main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Baldurs Gate Series - Come and discuss

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jedi_Learner, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    [image=http://www.zell.webzdarma.cz/baldurs_gate_soubory/097.JPG] [image=http://home.cinci.rr.com/reboots/graphics/bg2/bg2640.jpg]

I'm sure most of you know the Baldurs Gate Series. When I was younger my older brother bought me Baldurs Gate, which begun my love for Role Playing Games on the computer. I eagerly awaited the second installment, and I wasn't disappointed. I spent at least 60 hours playing it the first time, and when I played it again I found new things and romances to try out with other characters.

From your twisted half-brother Sarevok to the powerful Archmage Irenicus to the Bhaal Priest Melissan, I found the game fairly engaging and interesting. It was always fun to experiment with characters and how they would react to each other. I'll never forget the moment when Minsk asks Arwen to become her witch or when Irenicus murders those Shadow Thievies outside his dungeon and the people at Spellhold.

What does everyone think about the Baldurs Gate Series? Do you need help with anything in the game? Have you missed something? This is the place to discuss it.

Thank you jp-30 for allowing me to make this thread. :)

2. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    Well, I have ordered BGII and ToB from amazon. Still waiting for them.

3. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    How long have you been waiting for? :confused:

4. Imoen

Imoen Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2002
    Yep, to me the Baldurs Gate games are some of the best out there. First time I played BB I just thought 'Wow, this is awesome.' Since then I've spent way to much time absorbed in the role playing games. ;)

I never got BBII since I heard it was extremely similar to the first... Anyone find that to be true?

5. Gingers_Ninja

Gingers_Ninja Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2003
    I never got BBII since I heard it was extremely similar to the first... Anyone find that to be true?

Yeah, it's exactly the same, only 10x better, with plenty of dialogue (with most of the original voice cast and even Dwight Shultz (Murdock from the A-Team, OMG!) and David Warner), a fantastic number of scripted events, character interaction (on the level that you can actually marry erm... Jaheira and that annoying one with the wings, um... if you're playing a guy, natch), and an awfully more intelligent story, and (as most people were pleased to find) there's more plot and less dungeons, Woo Hoo! The Good/Evil side of things is addressed very well, with every action you make and everything you say nudging you towards the light or the dark side of um... 'things', and causing people to look at you differently, (think of Deus Ex but in D&D form with more character interaction)...
    ...and that's not mentioning the expansion pack 'Throne of Baal' which is the cherry on top.

Um... just don't buy the CD version, that's pants, the DVD-ROM is alot better.

EDIT: Anyway... 'Butt-kicking for goodness!'. Quite.

6. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "I never got BBII since I heard it was extremely similar to the first... Anyone find that to be true?"

I am suprised you didn't bother with the second one. You don't spend as much time outside in the countryside exploring like you did on the first one. The story continues basically from where it ended. The main evil character Irenicus, is not the average evil type. You'll find out why he has a unhealthy fascination with you and Imoen, and eventually where he came from and why he has become power mad.

I recommend you purchase Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn and the final chapter Throne of Bhaal. You don't know what your missing out on. :)

Edit: Fixed mistake

7. Imoen

Imoen Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2002
    You don't know what your missing out on.

I'll have to go to the store ASAP and buy it! :D Thanks for the advice, you have me conviced the game is worth playing.

Has anyone ever heard of a RPG called Aethra? It was the first RPG I ever played and I still think it's pretty good, even though it's rather old game. It doesn't hold a candle to BB, though, espcially in graphics.

8. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    I think I know everything about the Series, because I have played it so many times. Should you need help with the story or quests, or just want to talk about it, come and discuss it here or Private Message me. :)

"Has anyone ever heard of a RPG called Aethra?"

Sorry, never heard of it. :confused:

9. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Throne of Bhaal which could as well be called Baldur's gate 3 is absolutely best part of the story. The story and dialogue are some of the best you can find.

TOB is necessary to play with each possible NPC in your group since they have extremely interesting conversations. The absolutely funniest ones are Imoen's conversations with Korgan and Edwin.

10. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    TOB was good, but SOA was the best of the series. The problem with Throne Of Bhaal was that it was way to linear and the shear number of Bhaalspawn were just silly not to mention the villans. A Giant and Dragon Bhallspawn? Now that was just stupid. Not to mention that the story turned into a Highlander ripoff. "There can be only one!" I loved the recap they give once you finish TOB though, it was great to learn what happens to your party members afterwards. I played through the first time with a human Preist Of Lathander/Mage. Gotta love Timestop. :D

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

11. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "The problem with Throne Of Bhaal was that it was way to linear and the shear number of Bhaalspawn were just silly not to mention the villans. A Giant and Dragon Bhallspawn?"

I always thought Yaga-Shura and Abazigal were good Bhaal Spawn to defeat, especially that Balthazar Monk. I agree, it did get a little linear at the end, much like Icewind Dale and I always knew who the traitor was from the beginning. My main problem with Throne of Bhaal was that I finished it too quickly, because I'm quite skilled at games like this, and some of the dialogue with the characters never happened. I was told that you could change Sarevok's alignment and Imoen would begin to have the minor Bhaal Spawn powers like heal.

Did you manage to do any of that Rabid_Balding_Ewok? :confused:

12. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Bhaal was predominately a human deity. When the times of trouble happened he used his human high priest as his avatar. Thats why it makes no sense that there was a giant and a dragon Bhaalspawn. It's been awhile since I played it so I can't remember about Imoen and Sarevok. I think I changed Sarevok to neutral, the story for him at the end of the game made it sound like he went neutral. My memory could be playing tricks, though.

-----signature-----

13. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    I ordered it for amazon.cp.uk Feb 10th. According to the site, it was going to be dispatched Feb 20 -27. But nothing has arrived yet... Very annoying
    [face_plain]

14. Gingers_Ninja

Feb 21, 2003
    Meh, I ordered mine from Gameplay UK, splendid stuff. I just ordered 'Baldurs Gate 2' off them at a very good price of £22.50, not only did I get the game 1 day later, I got the Icewind Dale Expansion and throne of Baal free. Woo Hoo!

15. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    Did you also get the free add-on called "Trials of the Luremaster" with your order Gingers_Ninja?

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > it was going to be dispatched Feb 20 -27. But nothing has arrived yet... Very annoying

But... it's only the 26th. :confused:

17. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I used to play BGI, before I got tired of it. My brother has BGII, but I never bothered with it. I lost my interest in D&D. BG was fun, being able to play in FR and meet some of the established characters, but it felt so...limited.

You were allowed to pick different races, but what race you chose had no affect on how your character played. If you chose an elf, you weren't granted infravision or sharper senses.

I also have both novelizations. Worst. Books. Ever.

18. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "I also have both novelizations. Worst. Books. Ever."

I didn't bother with the novelizations, one of the reasons was because the main character had a stupid name. Does anyone remember his name? :confused:

19. Gingers_Ninja

Feb 21, 2003
    Trials of the Luremaster... um... no. I've never heard of that, what is it?

20. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    [image=http://www.interplay.com/icewind/how_images/june01b.jpg]

Trials of the Luremaster was a free individual adventure made from official makers of Icewind Dale. You have to own the add-on Heart of Winter though to play it. There were some new portraits, some new enemies that made their way to Icewind Dale II, new items and a new dungeon. Quite entertaining, but the final boss was too hard in my opinion.

I could find a link for you to download it if you want? :)

Edit: Added Screenshot and more text

21. Gingers_Ninja

Feb 21, 2003
    Um... LOL, thanks, but I don't even have Icewind Dale to play Heart of Winter on. :p

22. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    You might want to purchase Icewind Dale one day Gingers_Ninja, but this isn't about Baldurs Gate. ;)

23. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    I was told that you could change Sarevok's alignment and Imoen would begin to have the minor Bhaal Spawn powers like heal.

Sarevok can change to chaotic good if you choose correct replies when discussing with him (three discussions). The story in the end of the game doesn't change but Sarevok advises you in different ways during the game. Imoen gets very lousy Bhaal Spawn powers if you play long enough. You don't have any use for any of those new skills (no slayer) since Imoen is already 20+ level mage so few first level bonus spells are not going to do any good.

24. Darth-Bone

Darth-Bone Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2002
    are all of these baldur's gate games for pc, or xbox too?

dark alliance for xbox ruled.

25. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    No they where only for the PC. Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance is nothing like the BG series. The only thing it has in common is that the city of Baldurs Gate appears in it. The game wasn't even developed by Bioware.

-----signature-----

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.