main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Baldurs Gate Series - Come and discuss

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jedi_Learner, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    But... it's only the 26th

I'm an impatient person.
    :p

2. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The main character in the novelizations was named Abdel.

3. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I remember now. He was the leader of the pre-made party when you install that add-on for the first Baldurs Gate.

4. jedi_of_darkness

jedi_of_darkness Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2003
    does anyone have cheats u wont be spolling the game 4 me becaus i have already concered it. I cant remember how to get to the 3rd chapter.

5. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    I think Chapter three is going to Spellhold to rescue Imoen and defeat Irenicus? Don't you have to perform the Shadow Master's tasks or Bodhi's tasks before you can leave for Chapter three?

6. jedi_of_darkness

jedi_of_darkness Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2003
    still cant remember anyway my sister just deleted it to put on GTA. :_|

7. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    Did your sister even ask you before deleted Baldurs Gate II? :confused:

8. Cradok

Cradok Jedi Master star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    [blockquoteWoo Hoo! The Good/Evil side of things is addressed very well, with every action you make and everything you say nudging you towards the light or the dark side of um... 'things', and causing people to look at you differently[/quote]

As much as I love BGII, one thing that it did horribly was alignment. There was virtually no difference between being evil and good, and most of the game assumed that you'd play as good. There was no way to bully, threaten or torture to get NPCs to do what you wanted, or give you what you wanted, and the only 'evil' choice was usually to fight. Which would then remove whatever plot and reward was associated with the person in question.

Planescape: Torment on the other hand is a masterpiece when it comes to alignment. I very strongly urge everyone to buy it.

Bhaal was predominately a human deity. When the times of trouble happened he used his human high priest as his avatar. Thats why it makes no sense that there was a giant and a dragon Bhaalspawn.

The Bhaalspawn were concieved when Bhall was still a Deity and his Avatar was able to take the form of anything he wanted. The various different races he concieved progeny with were probably just to give diversity to his Spawn.

As for the last man standing, it's probable that this had been planned since the start. The ending for BGI indicates that there were legions of Bhaalspawn, and that there was now one less. And I'm fairly sure, although I have no idea where to get a reference to it, that a Deity's power could be split to guard against death - and I know that the original Mystra did this during the Time of Troubles - and that you could 'collect' it.

The first two novels were written by Phillips Athans, who edits a lot of the FR literature, and were rubbish. The Throne of Bhaal one was written by Drew Karpshyn(sp?) who was one of the principal writers for the games, and as such is actually quite good.

And finally, to get to chapter 3, you just need to gain 20,000 gp and give it to either Aram Lindvale or Bhodi, depending on whom you signed up with.

9. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    Planescape Torment handles the character's alignment very well.

10. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    I played BG when it came out, and can honestly say I am an addict. It's my fav game of all time, and so far nothing can or has come close for me. So yes, I guess I'm somewhat of an authority on the subject ;)

My one disappointment with BGII (also big player) was the lack of exploring. Sure, there was some, but not nearly as much as BG I. That IMO was key. Made it more exciting, never knowing what was past the horizon. Still an awesome game.

I'm currently on the 5th chapter in BGI (for the millionth time) playing a Paladin. In Durlags tower TOSC obviously, and have more or less done EVERYTHING ELSE. Just have to go to Candlekeep again, then the rest many of you know...

I plan to continue my character on to BGII after, along with TOB of course...

11. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    Don't forget to collect the tomes that increase your stats Crix-Madine. Do you know where to find them all?

12. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    Gnoll Stronghold (cave) Tome of Leadership and Influence Charisma + 1 (Permanent)

Lighthouse Area (cave) Manual of Bodily Health Constitution + 1 (Permanent)
    +1 HP per level of reader

Ramazith's house in Baldurs Gate, in his desk. Tome of Clear Thought Intelligence + 1 (Permanent)

Thieves Guild Entrances (Black Lily's room) Manual of Quickness of Action Dexterity +1 (Permanent)

Lady's House; ask Chanthalas Ulbright after having quest to get this book. Offer him 500 gold and he gives this book for nothing. Tome of Understanding Wisdom +1 (Permanent)

Catacombs under Candlekeep Tome of Understanding Wisdom +1 (Permanent)

Catacombs under Candlekeep Manual of Gainful Exercise Strength +1 (Permanent)

What can I say? I am a master :)

13. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    You are indeed a master Crix-Madine. [face_shocked]

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Planescape Torment handles the character's alignment very well.

Probably the best CRPG ever made IMO. With Fallout and Fallout 2 running a very close second.

Having said that -- the Baldur's Gate series rocked. I loved each and every chapter of it. And not to mention the Mystery of the Pantaloons... ;)

15. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    The beginning of Baldurs Gate was one of the hardest things for me to do when I started playing. The wolves outside Candlekeep would keep running up to me and kill the main character. So what I would do is make my character run around past trees while Imoen using her bow and arrows to kill the hungry wolves. Took a long time at mastering the dodging arts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.