main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Banned-User Guide: Instructions for banned users

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Vertical, Jun 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    The Banned-User Guide: Instructions for banned users

So, you logged on today, and found yourself banned, eh? Well, that means one of two things: you either 1) broke the rules and are currently banned for that infraction, or 2) have been caught in a case of mistaken identity, or are mixed up in an IP ban that was not intended for you. I'll explain all that lingo later on...

First, I'd like to talk about the first scenario: You broke the rules, and are now banned.

If you know what you did...
    If you know what you did, that's half the battle. In this case, simply fill out an 'unban request form', indicating why you feel that you should be allowed back into the forums, despite having broken the rules. What you should be trying to relate on this form is that you understand the rules, respect the rules, have no intention of breaking them again, and that you understand that if you do break them again, you will be permanently banned from the Jedi Council forums.

Once you have filled out an unban request, you should hear back from the administration within 1-3 days. It could be faster than that, but I'm not about to promise speedy results. You broke the rules, after all, so you're not exactly our top priority. Hope you understand.

If, after 2-3 days you still haven't gotten a response, drop the administration a line at jc-admins@theforce.net, explaining your situation, and enquire why you haven't received a response to your unban request. Please include your banned username at the JC. That's all that's necessary.

Should you fail to receive a response to that email, you may use this final method, but only for this express purpose - you may create another username on the JC which you may use to send a Private Message to an admin. Check the Users Online page to see which admins are on at that time, or check the Interactive Moderator List for a list of all the mods, and links to their profiles (where there's a link to send them a Private Message). Please note: You may not use this alias to post with. Use it only to send Private Messages to moderators. If you post with this alias, the length of your ban will be doubled.

If the Moderator fails to reply, try again with another moderator. By this time, you will hopefully have already received a response, so it should never come to this, but in the event of some strange phenomenon, where all of these steps do not get you a response, simply keep trying different mods. Someone will answer you.
    If you have no idea what you did...
    Now, if you have no earthly idea why you are banned, which happens a lot, you can do a few things:

1) Send an email to jc-admins@theforce.net, informing us of your situation. Please be sure and include your username that is banned at the JC. If you don't tell us who you are, we can't help.

2) Fill out an unban request form, and state that you do not know why you are banned, and could someone please help.

We'll get back to you on these requests as soon as we can. Sometimes, there are accidental bans, mistaken identities, or members get caught in IP bans that weren't intended for them. All of these problems can be sorted out quickly, and you'll be back posting in no time. This does not apply to a situation where you (as a banned member) say "I don't think what I said was flaming/trolling/spamming". That's not your call. If a mod thinks it was, you're banned. the only situation where you will be unbanned immediately is if it's proven that you were not the person that the ban was intended for.

If, however, it turns out that you broke the rules, and that's why you're banned, you will be informed of which rule you broke, and how long your ban is for. After that time, you will be unbanned. This is not automatic. If we tell you that you are re

2. Darth Dane

Darth Dane Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2000
    How long can it take before you'll get an answer concerning a ban. I've PM the admin in charge of a ban, but no answer has been fortcoming as to whether or not an unbanning will occur, or if it is definately denied!

How long is the standard waiting period?

3. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    There isn't really a standard waiting period. If you don't know how long your ban will be for, use one of the three contact methods:

1) email
    2) unban request
    3) PM (again, do NOT post with an alias)

We'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Vertical

4. Darth Dane

Darth Dane Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2000
    BTW: you say that "if ...fails, fill out another unban request", but if you try it'll say that you already did that, so you can't fill it out again. I don't know if this was an error or if it has changed, but thats what I got.

Edit: maybe this should be posted in announcements, just a suggestion :)

5. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    If you got a response to your first unban request, it will let you fill out another. Otherwise, use the email.

Vertical

6. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Great Job...I'll need to keep a look out for this thread just in case ;)

7. Dark Lord of the Jedi

Dark Lord of the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    no offense, Vert, but isn't this telling people the exact same thing IP's "What to do if you are banned" thread does?

8. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    I think this one has expanded upon IP's thread, a little. No offense to IP, his thread was invaluable, but this one has better definitions of the different types of bans, why they happen, and how to respond.

9. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    Good job...
    nothing else to say, but he's already hit 'Reply' for no obvious reason

10. Demodex

Demodex Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    Now keo has another thread to up every day.

11. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    Nice job, Vert.

12. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    This is GREAT! :D

Vertie, I love ya. Can I give ya a wittle kiss? ;)

See! THIS is what I was asking for! Clarification is such an awesome tool, yes?

13. Zizou

Zizou Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2001
    And don't say Down with Vertical in a thread title if he's not online.

apparently it's bad or something

14. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Padme Bra's on a mission to stop anti admin comments.......

15. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    Yeah, its called totalitarianism... :(
    But, if taht's what we have to put up with to stay here! :D

16. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Nah, it's just that no one's bothered to tell him that jokes about BoB are par for the course around here.

17. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Nice list but I'm screwed when it comes to IP-bans, I live in a sparseley populated area and I know I did something wrong when I get the boot :p

18. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "Padme Bra's on a mission to stop anti admin comments....... "

That's an ironic statement. Where did that come from?

19. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    *adds thread to favs to move to the top daily or when Val doesn't do it first* :D

20. Missninfan

May 6, 2000
    Yes, because Padme Bra has changed sooooooo much since being modded.

:rolleyes

21. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Really. I want to know where I have tried to stop anyone from speaking against the admins. If you're referring to your banning Wormie2, we all know why you were banned and it had nothing to do with your anti-admin crusade.

As someone who helped write the book on speaking out against the admins, I have to say you're not doing very well.

22. Missninfan

May 6, 2000
    You're a big mod-meany, Padme Bra.

// runs and cries //

23. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Too much?

//clown nose

How's that?

24. Missninfan

May 6, 2000
    Clowns are evil.

25. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Damn, that's true. I guess I'll accept my role.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.