main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Basher Basher's Sanctuary.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Go-Mer-Tonic, Jul 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ani_dala

Ani_dala Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 18, 2003
    Well I agree with you guys, cause bashing doesn't botehr me and well I bet that all teh absher's outhere trully loves star wars and well....... yeah....

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    It's really more about why the Basher's Sanctuary (or any thread that only allows positive or negative comments) is not a positive influence on the SW fanbase.

3. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I think a problem is that our perception of a person, in a forum like this and also on the Internet in general, is limited to their posts.

When some people spend most of their time posting negative things or making attacks then others come to view them in the same negative light. It doesn't matter if this same person could share your love of Monty Python or something, or be a person that if you met on the street you'd love to have a pint with. When you only know them from this 'bashing' (Christ, I hate the phrases 'basher' and 'gusher' so much) then it's too easy to dislike someone just because of that.

I'd love to hear about what some of these people love about the OT. It's always cool to hear what people like about Star Wars. But some people never do that, we just hear what they hate all the time. I'd much rather hear what people like than what they hate.

It gives me the chance to get a much more well-rounded idea of someone, rather than the very two-dimensional side of just what they dislike.

Extreme elements of any fanbase are usually not a good thing. I don't believe Lucas or anyone involved with all the SW films is infallible or above criticism, so the more extreme 'gushers' can seem pretty deluded to me. I've never bought into this 'media conspiracy against SW' thing either, it's more a case of the age-old 'build them up, knock 'em down' attitude.

But at least with them, at worst, I can roll my eyes and smile. When someone lays into a film that I really appreciate, it feels a bit more like a personal attack on your own choices.

Oh well, enough rambling.
    I guess the point is that I'm more interested in what people like about SW than what they hate. But that's just me.

4. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    You've got my support, Go-Mer. :D

Personally? The Phantom Menace is my favorite Star Wars movie, and it bothers me that the forum has more bashers than people who like it.

It's one thing to say, "I wish Lucas had not done this with TPM," or "I wish Lucas had started TPM when Anakin was a teenager." That's having an opinion, not being hateful. There are some things I would have changed about TPM and AOTC, too (more love story, for example). It's another thing to create threads talking about how ugly Lucas' children or the actors are, or saying that Lucas should never go near another SW movie, or even saying that they aren't really SW fans anymore.

I definately agree with that. Its just plain disrespect to the creator of our saga. I've heard a lot of people also say that "maybe someone else should direct Episode 3." [face_plain] George Lucas is the one who gave us our beloved saga, he should be allowed to direct it however he wishes. Its his movie, not ours. Not ours to decide what should have happened, or that this didn't go well, or that shouldn't have happened.

I guess the point is that I'm more interested in what people like about SW than what they hate. But that's just me.

Here here! ;)

I just can't see why there is still so much bashing in the TPM forum. Four years, and people can still find things they hate about it. I just think bashing is wrong. For example, I love SW to death, but I didn't particularly enjoy ANH too much. I never go over to the Classic Trilogy board and bash the movie. And I had some problems with AoTC, but I would never go over to that forum and make my problems public. We all come here to discuss these movies. I don't know about all of you, but hardly any of my friends enjoy (or even know about) Star Wars. This is a great place for me, because I can discuss the movies with other people who enjoy it.

I admit that some bashes are needed for good discussion, but a lot are just out of line. Like I said before TPM is my favorite movie (bite me), and I go to the TPM forum to talk about it with other people that like it. The key words here: "like it." The bashers are completly negative sometimes, and I feel that its starting to(okay, has already started a while ago) bring down the forum. The wars between gusher and basher are intense in that forum, and quite personally, I think it degrades the entire forum as one. Like others have said before me, the board is now split in two: Basher and gusher.

I respectfully think that the Bashers Sanctuary was not the bset way to go. They have their own little place where they can completely rip apart the film, with no one to defend it. And the fact that us "gushers" have to hide in our Defense Force so we can truly state our opinions, and finally talk about them with people who actually enjoy the movies... that just seems wrong in the TPM forum. I mean really, its like someone who hates Star Wars comes to this site and bashesr our saga to no end. Its the same concept, except more subtle. ;) And no, I have no problems with individual bashers.

Yoda: "Begun the basher and gusher war has." 8-} *turns off her mike and steps of the speech-giving box*

5. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Gomer, are we allowed to copy and paste posts from the bashers sancuary into this thread and comment on them, as long as we dont name the individual person who made the post?

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I don't think that would be the best course for this thread. There would be no way to separate the posts from the people who made them.

Instead talk about the essense of what they say, and say it in your own words.

Remember, respect is the key to keeping this thread open.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Send all inquires as to why it was close to Q-S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.