main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Battle of Ithor is what killed the republic. The reason why....

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sabrajaguar, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabrajaguar

Sabrajaguar Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 22, 2001
    I Have read and reread the Dark Tide dulagy. And if the the Remanent/Republic forces pressed the Vong after Ithor the Battle for the galaxy would have gone better.

Yes Ithor was toasted. But the vong came to "annex" Ithor not to destroy it. The Defeat and drestruction of the Yuzzahn Vong forces at Ithor should have been spun s a victory. For the first time the vong were turned back. If the combined forces Pushed the Issue and took the fight to the Vong, the Vong wouldent Have the Hold or the resources thet posses currently.

It was after Ithor the Civilans gained control over military stratagy.(One of the many mistakes of Nam) The Senators sacraficed planet after planet giving the Vong the resources To power their War Engine.

The senators and Fe'yla Kept the majoraty of the Armed Forces near the core handing over a treasure trove of resource rich planets and Habital worlds for the Vong to base and Strike from.

Was their truly any doubt that the results seen in Star By Star would come after the Aptly named Ruin. It was Just a matter of time.

2. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    i'm with you all the way

3. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    I disagree- i think that the YV would have pressed on regardless of ANYthing and they would have prevailed to the point of what we see in SbS by sheer weight of numbers. I don't believe that any strategic changes made by the military could truly have prevented what we have seen so far, it may have altered the course of the fall of the planets in the NR, but I believe what we have seen to have been irresistable.

But then again, I am not omniscient so I can't say. It just seems that the NR have been fighting a wave too powerful to stop in its tracks. Its just so overwhelming

4. Sabrajaguar

Dec 22, 2001
    But Darth Jar Jar.

when has the newrepublic realy fought? A major battle at Ithor,and Fallbacks, protectiong shipyards far from the front lines. even The battle of Fondor was little NR military support. A War of Skirmishes,A death by 1000 cuts. A Ship attacks here, Defends there. No real organised Assault except for the vong shipyard in EOVII. The Vong went unapposed except for worlds that boasted defences.

Unless I forgot something.

5. Infiltrator

Jan 4, 2002
    Also in rebirth, tsavong lah says thet their forces are spread thinner than the infidels knew, so it wasn't that overwhelming odds...

6. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    yet it *was* overwhelming enough for the Vong to press on and take every world they wanted up to CORUSCANT- the most heavily defended and important world in the New Republic. so it was, literally, overwhelming.

And Tsavong Lah's comment about forces being thread is a very arbitrary and relative notion. Spread thinly in vong terms is obsviouyl thick enough to do what they have done.

7. Infiltrator

Jan 4, 2002
    you have a point, but it would be much thinner if action had been taken.

8. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Every win is a loss for the NR. Ithor as explained above. Fondor was protected, but at the cost of so much that the Vong accomplished more than what they set out for.

I say it was shortly after Ithor, when the NR didn't even defend Obroa-skai. That was the beginning of the end, IMO. But that rode on the heals of Ithor, so its close enough.

9. Sabrajaguar

Dec 22, 2001
    But they Didn't realy defend those worlds.

Old Defnse platforms on Obraski

100 (local garrason) X-wings at Thynna(Beaver planet)

These don't sound like the best defended planets to me.

2) The New republic navy Did not shoot through the screan of ships the vong had at the Defense of corusant.

Killed by The NR navy Killed by vong the hostages would still dead. A whole bunch of Fleet Captains whining about it. If you can't scrafice your personal morals for something, you obviously don't think its worth defending.

If they pressed the Point after Ithor, and Pushed into Vong controled space (which was much smaller at the time) The Vong Would have had a Harder time Gaining a foot hold Into the GFFA. If so Corucant probably wouldent have fallen so quickly, It may not even have fallen at all.
    But what can you expect fighting a war of a purely defenseive stance.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's what happens when you repeat a failed experiment.

The Old Republic's system failed, so did the NR's. The Empire would've lasted longer. At the very least, they would've fought. They even had a number advantage over the Vong.

Imagine the Dark Jedi destroying Vong. They may not be in the Force, but they can be affected by it.

11. Sabrajaguar

Dec 22, 2001
    Luke is to stubernly purest.

If he could have studied the Dothmir styles, and Car'das/Monks style Force abilities. Force lighting dosent have to be DarkForce.
    Perhaps the Vong will teach farmboy to be more flexable.

12. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    as far as i'm concerned, the republic was dead before the vong invasion. it was corrupt, weak, and useless from the start. feel free to disagree...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.