main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Battles of Coruscant.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dolphin_Jedi, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolphin_Jedi

Dolphin_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2004
    I was thinking recently that there have been many, many battles over and on the planet Coruscant, the shining jewel of the known galaxy. Do you think that Jerusalem would be a good analogy for Coruscant? After all, throughout the history of humanity, the 'Holy Land' has had just about the most conflict. It is a 'prize', similar how the planet Coruscant is a prize to the victor.

What major battles have we seen for Coruscant? From memory, here are some highlights:

1) Taungs vs. Zhell

Ancient battle that occured circa -200,000 years BSW. Result left the planet's atmoshphere covered in ash for two years.

2) Republic vs. Seperatists (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)

Final confrontation between the Republic and the Seperatists. No further info, as to avoid spoilers.

3) New Republic vs. Empire (X-Wing Novels)

The New Republic finally conquers Coruscant from the remants of the Empire, and Coruscant becomes the capital of the New Republic.

4) New Republic vs. Empire (The Thrawn Trilogy)

Thrawn bombards Coruscant, and deploys cloaked asteroids around the planet, effectively taking Coruscant out of the war between the New Republic, and the ressurgant Empire under the leadership of Grand Admiral Thrawn.

5) New Republic vs. Empire (Dark Empire)

The Empire, under the control of a resurrected Palpatine, routs the New Republic, and reclaims Coruscant.

6) New Republic vs. Yuuzhan Vong (NJO: Star by Star)

The Yuuzhan Vong defeat the New Republic, who have to flee from Coruscant. The Yuuzhan Vong reshape the planet in the image of their lost homeworld, and make the orbit of the planet closer to the sun.

----------------------------

What do you think have been the most important Coruscant battles in the history of the GFFA? I would have to say that firstly, it would easily have to be the New Republic vs. Yuuzhan Vong. The planet was altered permanently after that battle.

Secondly, I would have to say the battle to be seen in Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. This would probably be the biggest fleet battle in the planets history, and its result would have ramifications for decades to come.

I have probably missed a lot of battles, please help me out if you know of more.

2. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    There's the "First Battle of Coruscant" mentioned in Obsession, just half a month before Revenge of the Sith...

3. Jedi-Sith

Jedi-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 4, 2001
    Naga Sadow and the Sith attacked Coruscant in The Great Hyperspace War 5000 BBY

Ulic Qel-Droma with his Sith/Krath/Mandalorian army attacked Coruscant in the Great Sith War around 4000 BBY

I wouldn't be surprised if we find of another one in KOTOR2 when its released tommorrow

And The New Droid Army depicts another battle during the Clone Wars....

4. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    There's also the TUF one to add.

Still, the most important IMO is the Wedge's Gamble one. It began to show the decline of the Empire and exactly how serious the NR was to be taken.

5. Vong_Killer

Vong_Killer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2001
    I think the Battle of Yuuzhan'tar and Zanoma Sekot would be one of the most important, followed by Wedge's Gamble.

6. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Yeah, there's several in TOTJ.

7. Dinner_Squadron

Dinner_Squadron Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2004
    I'd say that the most important one in the books was New Republic Vs. Vong or Wedge's Gamble, as the first truely established the New Rebublic, and the second called for it's death.

And, was there a post-Dark Empire battle to get it back?

8. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    The Essential Chronology says that the confused Imperials abandoned Coruscant after the Emperor's final death.

9. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    There's also the squirmish between the Rogues, Imps and Black Sun in SOTE.

10. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Folks already beat me to the battles mentioned in Fall of the Sith Empire, The Sith War, Shadows of the Empire, and just after the Dark Empire series. The battles in the first two are easily as important as those in Wedge's Gamble, just before Dark Empire, just after the Dark Empire series, and the NJO.

11. Dolphin_Jedi

Dolphin_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2004
    The Essential Chronology says that the confused Imperials abandoned Coruscant after the Emperor's final death.

Do you think that is a lame reason???

12. Dinner_Squadron

Dinner_Squadron Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2004
    Indeed... I really wish that they had handled the whole Dark Empire situation in some novels, even if it's just damage control (like in I, Jedi). Ditto with Akbar's last big battle with the Empire that allegedly took place before Specter of the Past for no reason. :-\

13. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    Do you think that is a lame reason???

Yeah, but with in the shape the NR was in after losing Coruscant, the Pinnacle Moon and Nespis, they were in no position to fight a battle for Coruscant on the scale of SbS.

Besides, it supports my belief that Shadow Hand was only successful because of Palpatine's mind control of the forces involved. They weren't organized enough (or in the mental condition necessary) to hold them against a determined and well-organized foe.

So the now-mentally disturbed fleet bosses retreat to the deep core and set their sights on each other, losses be damned.

14. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    There's the "First Battle of Coruscant" mentioned in Obsession, just half a month before Revenge of the Sith...

What is this about??

15. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    We don't know yet.

16. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    As I recall, Operation Shadow Hand actually began after the the Imperial Civil War, which itself began after the Fall of Coruscant just before the Imperial Civil War. With the condition the Imperial were in after their civil war and after the final defeat of Palpatine, the NR could have fought them for control of Coruscant as both would have been in the same shape.

17. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    Hmm.. Rome and Constantinople would be a better analogy. They are far more beautiful cities and were the centres of the most powerful empires ever built.

18. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    As far as I can tell, Shadow Hand was the Emperor's plan long before his demise aboard the Eclipse. Going by DEII #1's text crawl, this plan was designed with Sedriss and the seven Dark Jedi in mind. Beginning in DEII, Sedriss went ahead with this plan.

The NR was in such a state of disarray after being kicked off of Coruscant (and as the DESB showed us, a few other worlds too) that they were unable to function as a government. Had the Emperor's hidden military not have come from the Deep Core to bolster the new Imperial offensive, it was likely that the NR could have regrouped and struck back, as Zahn told us that the Empire and NR were more or less equal militarily.

Either that, or just wait out the Imperial Civil War, rather like the Soviets waited out the 1944 Warsaw uprising. The military forces kill each other, the civilians pay the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.