main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The BB Star Wars Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by Katya Jade, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    We're on a Star Wars board, I think Star Wars discussion is appropriate. :p

This discussion is open to all SW topics (I mean, we're only 12 people, how many SW threads can we make ;) ), but let's have one prime rule in here - no bashing others. Whether you're an OT fan, PT fan or an EU fanatic we all have the right to our opinions. We can have friendly arguements, but we will not flame or insult others for their view.

All that said, I saw Star Wars when it came out in 1977. I vividly remember Darth Vader coming through that door walking among the smoke and putting his hands on his hips. That was it. I was hooked. I've been a SW fan ever since.

I think Greedo shooting first is the stupidest thing in film history, I've read several EU novels - and liked 'em! - and I tend to prefer the OT over the PT because of the characters and emotional bond.

Discuss.

2. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I saw SW for the first time in the 1980s (hell, my mom even got me an Ewok village in '83), but I was about 12 when I really started getting into it.

After seeing the OT, I thought it was the greatest film trilogy in history. I read as much EU as I could, both purchasing books and reading every book at the library. Unfortunately, I haven't kept up much with the EU lately, but once I finish the last 2 LOTR books (I just finished Fellowship 2 nights ago, w00t!) I'll probably get back into the NJO.

Oh yeah... I'm not bothered by the fact that they killed Chewie off.

3. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I first saw Star Wars the summer when I was ten years old. That would be almost eleven years ago, if you're doing the math. ;)

I was instantly a fanatic. I remember my mom wouldn't let me watch all three movies in one night, so the second night I called up my dad as Jedi was beginning and asked him if Vader was really Luke's father! :D That always seems so cute to me. ;)

My love for Star Wars burned strong and then dwindled for a little while. Then the PT hype combined with my creation of a whole new galaxy of jedi for a fanfic got me interested again. That took me all the way up until my sophomore year of college, when I found this site and started posting.

I'm technically an EU fan, although it often bugs the crap out of me and makes me not want to read. It's mostly the characterization.

I'm not a big fan of the PT, but I am looking forward to Episode III. I'm also going spoiler-free. It'll probably make me happier that way. :)

Jae Angel

4. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    SW is one of those things that while I love the films, I don't collect anything at all. I usually watch the films a few times a year when I get the hankering to. At work I often have projects where I do mailings and such so I put one of the films in to keep me company while I finish. It's pretty amusing when someone walks in the office and I'm spouting all the lines. [face_blush]

5. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I saw Star Wars for the first time in 1997, when the Special Editions were brought into theaters. I was 13 years old. As soon as I saw A New Hope, I was hooked for life. I couldn't wait for the other 2 to come out in theaters, so I went home and watched them on the tapes we had. :p

Overall, I'm more of a fan of the OT, just because I enjoy the characters more, and just the overall feel to the movies. :D But hey, I like the PT as well.

I read EU a lot a few years ago. :) I had read 7 or 8 books before I kind of stopped. Recently (like, 2 months ago) I started the first book to the NJO series. :D

Oh yeah... I'm not bothered by the fact that they killed Chewie off.

And I haven't gotten to that part yet. Thanks Jason. :_|

6. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    OMG! :eek: Spoilers! :p

7. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Spoilers, my bum. That's soooo 1999. :p

8. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, but I haven't read the book, and I didn't keep up with Star Wars for a while. Sorry, I'm slow. :p

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I read the Zahn Trilogy which I thought was excellent, and a few other books, but I'm too lazy to keep up with such a massive series. :p

Kate, my dad saw ANH in 1977 :p Well, he was also in college, though. His roommate was obsessed and saw it something like 8 times in theatres. So my dad saw it several times, and has always enjoyed the films. I don't even remember the first time I saw them. It must have been before I can recall, so before age 3. I've never not been a SW fan :)

10. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    8 times? Bah. That's nuthin'! ;)

Zahn's books were actually really good. I read The Courtship of Princess Leia and was pretty disgusted. I haven't read much else...well...just because. I may pick up some others if I get some good recommendations of what to read.

11. TheEmperorsHand

TheEmperorsHand Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 2000
    My dad introduced me to Star Wars a few years ago. He just realized that my sister, brother and I hadn't seen them, so he showed them to us expecting us to just like them a bit and have that be all. Well, oops we all got hooked :p I'm definately a Classic Trilogy fan first, PT is ok so far, but it feels like it's missing something for me. We'll see how Ep3 does ;)

As far as EU, I thoroughly enjoy the X-Wing books, especially Wraith Squadron. I read a few NJO originally, but they just didn't appeal to me after a while. I guess I was just too stuck on CT ;) Oh, by the way, I got depressed when they shaved Leia's head. :_| she had such pretty hair! why?!

:p

12. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    PT is ok so far, but it feels like it's missing something for me...

Yeah, the reason why I like the OT is that the characters draw you in so much more - at least in my opinion. The PT is missing a cynic in Han Solo. Someone to ask questions and be a little skeptical. I miss some of the humor as well. It felt to forced in the PT and the characters just felt flat.

Of course it could just be that I have an affinity for the OT since I grew up on it, but those are just my thoughts.

13. COSLeiaOrganaSolo

COSLeiaOrganaSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 15, 2002
    They shaved her head?! WARN US WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO POST SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not there yet...

Anyway...When I was like 8 (around 1995/96) I caught ANH on tv one day. I sat there glued to the tv, just completely mesmerized. :p Afterward, my parents told me that there were two more movies. I had to see them. We went to Blockbuster, but they didn't have the movies so we went to the library where I came in contact with ESB and ROTJ. [face_love] :p I was so in love with the trilogy. When '97 and the Special Editions came around, my father took me to see ANH. I begged and begged him to take me to see the other two...but he didn't give in... :(

I also enjoy the OT more than the PT. I mean, like the PT is good, but you just can't beat the OT.

So far I've read 21 EU novels. All coming after or taking place during the OT. I'm currently reading my 22nd EU novel, Ambush at Corellia. I prefer to read the novels in chronological order and have not yet made it to the NJO...so don't say anything about it without WARNING me FIRST.

I have also read The Courship of Princess Leia and feel that the authour did not properly portray the characters.

14. TheEmperorsHand

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm sorry Leia! I wasn't thinking of that as spoiler-type stuff, but I guess it is. It's really one of the only things I remember from NJO. I'll mark from now on though.

Katya - even though I didn't live through the originals, I think that's how I feel about them. I mean, I did see them first and loved them. PT was slightly disappointing. I'm not saying they were bad, because they really were quite good. CT was genius, though.

15. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeah, the effects were awesome, but I guess it just seemed like they took precedent in the PT. I liked AOTC better than TPM because I did feel the characters more, but I still think Lucas should have let someone else direct or help him with the script. The dialogue was just...yuck.

16. TheEmperorsHand

Aug 27, 2000
    lol Katya, you're pretty good - you say exactly what I'm thinking but can't exactly put into words :p Yes, the special effects were the biggest part of the PT and the characters/dialogue/plot were bigger in CT, I think :)

17. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I'm all about being conscise. ;)

18. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents worth of discussion. I don't usually talk about Star Wars here, even though I love it, because 1) I don't agree with the general consesus and 2) There is only so much speculation and discussion one can take from a movie.

People seem to forget that honestly, these are just movies. They're meant to be nothing more than popcorn flicks, 2 hours of entertainment at a time. That said, I really enjoy AOTC. It was one of the most enjoyable movies I've ever seen. Some of the dialog may be a little stale, but honestly, the PT was too. Almost all the old stuff from the past 20 years that people think are 'cool' now, was infinitely bad in its first run. I'm even seeing Power Rangers reaching nostalgic popularity now, and that show is pure drivel. Doubtless we'll see Pokemon as cool in 10 years.

There was a quote recently, "Modern tales are no match for nostalgic snobbery", or something like that. I don't think that the Prequels are really that bad, I think that people have just forgotten how to enjoy them.

I don't think everything needs to be dark and foreboding to be entertaining. ESB is my least favorite of the SW movies, mostly because I find it slow and plodding. It's got it's moments, but when I was young, the only scenes I like were the AT-AT battle and the lightsaber duel, and I'm still the same to this day.

19. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I agree with you John, that in the end, they are just movies. For me, however, they bring back a lot of great memories of growing up and, quite honestly, I find them to be just fun to watch.

I guess part of the reason that I don't find the PT as enjoyable as the OT is that maybe it has lost some of that "nostalgia". I saw both of them as adults and probably had some unreasonable expectations that they would touch me like the OT did.

I do like AOTC because there is more to the characters - as opposed to TPM (in my opinion). I just think that Lucas could have done himself a favor and partnered with someone like he did on ESB and ROTJ to help smooth out some of the dialogue and such.

All that said, it's still a fun set of movies that I know I'll be watching for a looong time.

20. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I love Star Wars, but as John said, I'll second the notion; I don't come here to talk about Star Wars. I do that with my FanForce. I joined here to make friends that share a common interest with me.

Eh, they're good movies, but not my favorites.

But, eh, for my own two cent's worth, I think the Original Trilogy is better than the Prequels just because of the fact of how well they were made under the constraints given. Unlike the PT, which has no limit whatsoever (or so it seems). Eh, but I love all the films and Attack of the Clones is my second favorite film (at this time).

*shrug*

~ James

21. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    One thing I have come to notice lately is the fact that the OT could have done horribly. What would it be like without Harrison Ford? James Earl Jones? I mean, it's hard for me to imagine Vader talking with an accent. I'd probably crack up. You see, the thing is, the OT had just the right amount of constraints. If it would have gotten more restrained by time/money, it would have been a cheesy sci-fi b-movie. If it would have had modern technology, we'd have all this digital stuff that just makes things less human. IMO, the prequels would be considerably better if they quit with the reliance on digital technology. Dunno.

22. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    B'omarr seemed to hit the nail on the head, as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame he doesn't stop by the movie forums more often.

23. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Jeff! :eek:

Yay!

24. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I was in such shock that I didn't even post a reply. :p

I think it's partly the emotional investment I have in the PT that makes me prefer those movies over the PT. However, I just can't get past the fact that the OT just feels to me like it has more of a camraderie between the characters. I didn't feel invested in the characters the way they were portrayed in the PT.

Maybe a big part of that is Lucas directed the PT films and, by his own admission, he's not an actor's director.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.