main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Chelsea supporters blame Roman. They just don't blame him in within earshot of him. haha Fear keeps them in line.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  2. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    It's because they sold Balotelli. He's world class.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Once De Gea gets more confidence in terms of dealing with the ball in the box he should be fine. That is his main problem right now, along with judging whether to parry a ball or punch it or grab it.

Ex Man City keeper Joe Corrigan says Hart's howlers may have something to do with him rolling his sleeves up, because skin is more slippery than material and in situations where the modern balls go between your arms and not your hands (as happened to Hart at the weekend) it is harder to stop it especially if the ball is wet.

As for City - Perhaps desire is a problem, but also lack of suitable new signings. United got van Persie due to having lost the league on goal difference, City got Rodwell & Nastastic & Maicon who are hardly proven world class (Maicon once maybe but he's older now) and not wholely reliable. It is up to the manager to make the players work and believe, Mancini isn't doing that. Maybe he has trouble with the big egos in the dressing room, getting rid of Balotelli is something he should have done in the summer. Not getting a suitable replacement is also a failing.
    But this is in part due to the nature of City as a club now. They made a huge loss last season, in order not to fall foul of UEFA's new rules on spending they can't just keep forking out £30million+ for players all the time because their revenue doesn't cover their vast spending. So Mancini has tried buying cheaper players that he can pay less, which is sensible but he hasn't made the best choices in that regard.
    City are going to suffer in the long-term if they don't win stuff, after all they are essentially a lower top 10 club trying to be a league contender and it only works 'cos of Arab money. As a business they fail badly, like most clubs that rely on a rich owner rather than a good business model.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Double Post.

Anyone think Celtic can win tonight? Juventus have a good team but if Pirlo is not going to play I think it helps Celtic a bit more. If they play like they did against Barca they might cause an upset.

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Maicon's descent is astounding, he was tremendous in Inter's 2010 CL run, both offensively and defensively. He made some bad mistakes in South Africa for Brazil, and has been a shadow of himself ever since.

As for Juve, i'm not fully sold on them, dominating a generally weak league, so I definitely think Celtic have a chance.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Bad luck for Celtic, 3-0 will be tough to come back from.

7. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    As i said, Juve are brilliant and will make mince-meat of the Papists.

epic likes this.
  8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Frank Lampard has signed up to write a series of children's books. The first one will be 'The Tale of Frank & Steven'.

Frank and Steven were rivals in club sport, but great friends too. When they were asked to represent their nation together, they were thrilled. "What greater honour could there be?" they asked. And there was great hope. Hope that they could play together and spearhead a new golden age for English football. Full of heart, and of a desire to play dynamic midfield football, they strove to make it work. More than once, for success does not often come quickly. Unfortunately, after a sensible number of attempts, everyone realised it was not working. So, with a heavy heart, but also a good deal of common sense, they decided to try no more. As a result, the team benefitted and all was well.

Obviously, this is fiction.

epic likes this.
  9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    inspired, I've come up with my own piece of original fiction.

S 'ard and F 'ard just wanted to kick a ball round the 'ard, but together they just found it too 'ard. "this is too 'ard", said S 'ard. "i'd rather read a bit more of the ol' 'ard", said F 'ard. once he trotted off, S 'ard hit a scorcher from 30 'ards, then said to himself, "that wasn't so 'ard", but alas by now he was tired and could 'ardly walk. then he went to bed. the end.

10. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    Everton, I feel that it's time that you came clean. You're just claiming to be an Everton supporter for the sympathy and stuff, right?

yankee8255 likes this.
  11. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    glad Kagawa is starting.

worried about Evans at the back.

Nani not even on the bench. hmm.

12. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Kinda predictable that we'd generally be under the pump.

The first goal was a bonus. Just need to reign in Madrid a bit, and take our chances. Obv 1-1 would be a great result, but there's more goals in it.

13. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Wait the first half is over, already? Damn that was entertaining. I think ManU has a real chance of going through especially with that crucial away goal now, Real's defence seems rather suspect.

Also Özil what a player.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Rafael needs to be careful, maybe take him off (before he is sent off) and put Jones in his place then put Anderson into midfield.

Ronaldo is a handful, someone needs to mark him.

15. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Happy to keep them to long shots.

16. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Donezk - Dortmund also 1-1, another very entertaining match.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I would still be happier to have Rafael taken off.

So long as United don't concede too many goals this tie is still easily winnable. Vidic should be back for the second leg which will help defending for a start plus the home advantage.

Rio is having a good match so far.

18. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Omg how did RVP mis that? ARGH

19. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    I love De Gea. Always have. The media can go screw themselves.

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    He's not good enough and will be replaced within 18 months. You know it, I know it, De Gea knows it.

21. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    De Gea will well and truly still be the starting United keeper on August 13, 2014. So let it be written in this thread.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    So let it be wrong. I shall triumph here, as I did triumph by proclaiming Macheda a useless lump.

23. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Provided De Gea gets to grips with the aerial nature and presence required in the box in the English game he will be an exceptionally good keeper.

If he fails to adapt to that part of the game he will fall to the wayside like another Taibi.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    De Gea will take time to learn how to do things, I'm not sure exactly how good his english is yet anyway so that may be part of the problem. I don't get why goalkeepers would come running out and not indicate to the defenders that they are going for the ball.

Madrid's keeper also had issues though, a draw is a fair result.

25. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Excellent defensive display by ManU in the second half, and overall a good result for ManU, they're definitely favourites to go through now.

26. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Especially if Vidic is back.

I will say that I think Kagawa is more likely to be off-loaded than De Gea. I like the guy don't get me wrong but his ideal position is where Rooney plays and he has seemed generally ineffective when played anywhere else. So benching him until Rooney gets injured seems like a waste of a decent player, he's better off in a team that needs someone to play in that spot.

I was excited at first, he seemed like a cut-price Eden Hazard. I expected him to play a centre attacking midfield role deeper behind Rooney, but that has not happened.