main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Everton and yankee8255 - as the resident footie thread sock username code crackers, can either of you confirm whether Diggy is Iggy?

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You could just ask me.

3. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    But then I don't get to mock Everton and yankee.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Really? There is no other reason to mock Everton? FFS, he supports NEverton. And Yankee? Well...dunno who he is, so you're on your lonesome.

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Hey, I'm the one who took most of the move to realize you and epic had swapped names.

6. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, that's where the mocking comes in. :p

7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    That Bale bloke's a bit good

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Wonder if this may be it for Wenger.

Piers Morgan is actually pretty good on FSC, perhaps it's because he's on set next to the Tim McCarver of soccer, Wynalda, but he's made good points about the cash spent after Nasri, Fabregas, and RVP left being spent on the wrong players.

9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    lol @ Arsenal

10. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
  11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    So the summer Arsenal finally have cash to spend (according to reports) they'll most likely finish 5th. Ha ha.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Interesting battle for the CL spots, if City drop points Spurs could even nab second place.

13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Everton are only 2 points behind, I'll be hoping for 6th. LOL.

14. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    There's a German equivalent to Zonal Marking called "Spielverlagerung", they had interesting stat from the match: Barca's possession was 78%, passing accuracy 90%, but 38% of their possession was in their defensive third, 53% in midfield and only 18% in Real's third. Jonathan Wwilson had a good column on "Possession vs Position" in the guardian last year, this match really shows how Barca's obsession with possession sometimes causes them to forget that position matters too.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    So, who will emerge victorious tonight?

United will find it tough against Madrid I think, especially without Jones who has proved excellent in the defensive midfield role. Why Ferguson has chosen not to play Vidic in either leg of the match I am not sure, he is the captain and best defender.

16. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    The only way I can see Real going through is if they score an early goal, after that they can sit deep and wait for a counter.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Madrid could easily scroe several goals.

United have to be attacking, playing for 0-0 is foolish. But Madrid like to counter-attack so they want United to commit players forward.

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I could see a real slugfest with 4-6 goals scored. Madrid needs to attack, ManU very shaky in back. Honestly, I don't see Madrid scoring less than 2.

19. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Real has trouble creating chances when they face an opponent that sits deep (see the second half of the first leg as an example). So I do think sitting deep and counter is the best way for ManU to approach the game.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    United have to counter-attack without exposing themselves to counter-attack by a team with a supeior midfield and the second-best player in the world.

I think a 4-3-3 formation like United had against Norwich might be the best solution. It can morph more easily into a 4-5-1 if United have to defend and it allows more rotation of players when attacking (Kagawa can come forward and inter-change with Rooney while RVP goes out wide which confuses Madrid defenders).

Ideally United need to get the first goal, that would leave Madrid with more to do as they have to score 2 goals anyway (one would level the goal-difference and only lead to extra time if United score)

21. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    It will be 4-3 for Utd with Ronaldo getting a hat-trick for Madrid.

[face_mischief]

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Much as I like the British teams to go through, my mother-in-law will be insufferable if United win. But she'll be even worse if they win on Sunday, so I hope United win today, but lose on Sunday

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Plus Chelsea do really need to win a trophy :p

Rooney on the bench, bit of a risk I think. Nani starts too, lets hope he delivers this time.

24. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    ManU are defending excellently and had the better chances, Real Madrid is pretty much ineffective they need space and they're not getting any.

ManU are 45 minutes away from the semi-final, at this rate they'll definitely hold on.

25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Getting a round ahead of yourself there, Omega.

Dortmund taking Donezk apart, 2-0 at the half. In case anyone is interested.