main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Oh my, not good.

Time to go, Madrid.

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Nani just got red. That's a joke.

3. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Kaka just doesn't fit in this Madrid side at all.

What a rocket from Modric, though.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Awful red. Great goal from Modric.

5. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    And Crissy makes it 2. SAF has to bring Rooney and Kagawa now.

6. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Real Modrid.

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I hope that referee has great security. Could get ugly.

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  10. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    In my defence I didn't see that awful red card coming.

I don't get Real's substitutions after the second goal, should have kept the team and go for a third goal.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Madrid keeper playing lights out.

12. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Shame the tie was decided by that call. Completely changed the match, madrid totally harmless to that point. ManU maybe a bit too passive after the 1-0, though.

Darth_Omega likes this.
  13. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Agreed yankee.

14. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    A bit reminiscent of the Bayern tie in 2010, ManU terrible a man down, no attempt at all to try to play keep away. Still, took a brilliant strike to crack the match open.

15. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It was a harsh red card, but not completely indefensible. Nani failed to get the ball, had his foot dangerously high. Ouch. Not saying I would've issued a red card, just that it's not as completely ridiculous as ITV would have us think. In addition, was it really the reason Madrid scored two goals? Not sure. Nani has never been big on getting back and adding to United's defensive form. I think Madrid simply upped their game. Where Nani's absence was felt was in that last 20 minutes when United had less attacking power at their disposal in order to chase the game.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Shame that the game changed after the red card, had Madrid won with 11 vs 11 I'd say fair play to them but it's hard not to think things might have been different with Nani still on the pitch. It's a tough call for the ref, it was dangerous sure but he was watching the ball so I'd say yellow but it's marginal.
    All the players had been good at marking, even Van Persie & Nani. Compare that with Ronaldo, who even when Madrid were off the ball just stood around up the end of the pitch waiting for the ball.

United didn't lie down and take it either, the last 15 minutes or so were largely spent in Madrid's half bombarding the goal. Going out on goal difference would have been preferrable but I expected United might lose anyway.
    It was nice of Mourinho to say United were better, overall both sides are pretty evenly matched.

Fergie will be mad now, I'm sure fans will feel better if United respond by pwning Chelsea :p

17. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Everton you've gone on about stupid reds previously. This was not a malicious challenge by Nani; it was silly. A yellow. Even if he is a attacker, being a man down helps Madrid, both physically and mentally.

How frustrating. We would have won if not for it. The ref wins the game.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    They most likely would have scored eventually, but then it seemed likely United could have scored again with the attacking threat they posed prior to the sending-off

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You're only accounting for one factor, when numerous factors come into it. Now, these are things in general. I didn't watch because I was working, but Nani being off is one less outlet to release pressure. It's one less player the defenders have to worry about, allowing them to take more chances, to push up. Psychologically it can boost the other team; they're now facing nine men doing the work of ten, and makes the heads of the nine drop for the same reason. So it does change the game. Does it alter the result? That can never be known.

Having said that, great result :D

20. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    lol @ Utd

lol @ epic

I didn't even realize that Nani still played for Utd. [face_laugh]

21. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Everton=Roy Keane?

I don't think it was a red, but I'd like to watch it a few more times to compare it to DeJong's karate kick. Everyone who was incredulous that the latter wasn't sent off (me included) needs give a reason why Nani last night was different.

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Haven't seen the result but you can't blame conceding two goals on losing a winger. Though its easier to do that I guess

23. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm not saying that you can't justify giving Nani a red, but at least his foot was in the vicinity of the ball.

24. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I think I was pretty clear last night that I thought the card was a joke, just calling out a bit of potential hypocrisy. But take a look at the two cards in question:

[​IMG] vs [​IMG]

Pretty clear difference to me. Nani is following the ball, doesn't even see the opponent until it's already too late. And is clearly going for the ball, which he possibly even makes contact with. DeJong sees Xabi, the whole time, and his foot is no where near the ball. Case closed.

A few good tweets on the subject:

Rafa Honigstein: Important point: there are degrees of dangerous play. Not every dangerous tackle is an automatic red. ... 'Reckless means players has acted with complete disregard to the danger of his opponent. punishment: caution' ... 'Far exceeding necessary force: red card' Link:http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf …

Didi Hamann: The reaction of the Madrid players said it all,if they thought it was a red they would have surrounded the ref,nobody near him when he did ... [Nani] didn't see him how can that be dangerous all he tried to do is bring a ball down.

25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Can't believe I forgot to post this until now:

Bench-warmer of his Generation:p

Everton, George Roper and Darth_Omega like this.