main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    Then do you have any other suggestions? I don't really see Gerrard playing deep, between Cleverley and Wilshire. Lamps has only gotten a few more years left and if he does move abroad to Galaxy or somewhere Woy won't select him. And he isn't a real DM either. No options for England..

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Lamps is great for Chelsea but is too trigger happy for me in an England shirt. I'd have him in the squad for another year or so but thats it.

Gerrard could play deep for another couple of years too but his time is on the wane.

Rodwell (when fit) could be a good option after a little more development and although Carrick is a good player he goes largely unnoticed and I don't think his disruption of play is effective enough to translate fully to the international stage.

We really need another Owen Hargreaves but I just can't for the life of me see one in the Premiership at the moment.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Parker is a tougher kind of midfielder that England needs, but he's also getting to the end of his career.

4. Darth Ibonek

Jan 11, 2013
    Other than Parker, Tom Huddleston comes to mind.
    Phil Jones can also play as a DM, but he's not one to hold the line. Judging from the RM game, he's more of the 'destroyer'/man-marking player. The midfield would lose shape, I'm afraid.
    And there's James Milner. I actually like having Milner play in the middle. Whether he can play deep is another question though.

...Or Frimpong

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Wigan score 3 goals in 3 minutes. I predict someone here will not be happy...

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Wigan looking good, Everton not so much. Still, there is time to mount a comeback if they get organised. They have a team good enough to win.

7. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    GOAL - Everton 0-3 Wigan - Jordi Gomez (33 mins)
    Er, this is getting ridiculous. Wigan make it three goals in four minutes, when Arouna Kone tees up Jordi Gomez to curl a precise low shot into the bottom corner. Again Jan Mucha can only watch it fly past him.
    GOAL - Everton 0-2 Wigan - Callum McManaman (31 mins)
    Wigan's day just got a whole lot better. This time Everton really do shoot themselves in the foot when Phil Neville's pass across the face of his defence only succeeds in releasing Callum McManaman - a former Everton season ticket holder, I believe - to drill an an angled shot past Jan Mucha.
    GOAL - Everton 0-1 Wigan - Maynor Figueroa (30 mins)
    Wigan get the goal their early play has deserved. James McCarthy forces a great stop from Jan Mucha when a Wigan free-kick is not cleared but the Latics score from the resulting corner when Maynor Figueroa makes the most of some poor marking to head home at the far post.
    Oh man...lol

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    lol @ Everton :(

9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Cracking pass by Neville though. Picked the defence apart.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    A four minute hatrick of goals for Wigan. Robbie Fowler would be proud.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Calling it now, Wigan will be drawn against Blackburn or Millwall.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Trophies are for losers.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Then Gollum should have tons.

15. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    If Moyes put a pipe in his mouth and smiled, he'd look like your icon. Just saying.

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So strange not seeing Timmy in goal for Everton. Not that he would have made the entire difference in that game ...

18. Darth Ibonek

Jan 11, 2013
    Tevez.... United traitor. Still can't forgive him for the Fergie RIP poster. Go to jail

19. Darth Ibonek

Jan 11, 2013
    Comment I saw on ESPNFC today:

Red Card on Nani.
    Red Card on RVP (Arsenal vs Barca ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmIndqFNkao
    Red Card on Rafeal (vs Bayern)
    Daylight Robbery (Chelsea Vs Barca)
    And other Genuinely questionable decisions all made against not Just Manchester United, but EPL teams

I think in 2008 when United won, Everyone was pissed because it was two EPL teams in the finals, and three were in the quarter finals. How powerful the EPL looked then. Must have pissed of those professing the might of other leagues.

UEFA couldn't stand United and Chelsea meeting again in 2009. it would mean nothing short of global domination by the English Premier League. I do not buy into this rubbish about coincidence. If a ref makes questionable calls, do not put them in big games.

Now we look at these results and see how the teams were clearly dealt with unfairly and we must ask. Ever since, Platini got elected as a president Uefa became anti-EPL. It's so obvious.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Good lord, Chelsea.

Edit- And Gus Johnson is a horror show today.

21. Darth Ibonek

Jan 11, 2013
    as a united fan, i am disappointed.

AV7 out this summer. Disgrace to the 7 shirt. i've lost patience. Evra and Cleverley to the reserves until they learn how to track back and pass, respectively.

22. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    FA CUP SEMI FINALS

Millwall/Blackburn v Wigan
    Manchester United/Chelsea v Manchester City

23. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    Nice to see Spurs lose.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, that was a game of two halves certainly. United seemed to forget how to play once they scored two goals, usually they play poorly at the start and rally towards the end not the other way around.

A replay isn't so bad, facing City will be tough though for either side since they will likely want to win something to makeup for league failure and CL humiliation.

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Replay certainly isn't bad for Man U. First 10 mins aside, they were lucky not to lose.

And why say Man City will be tough? Surely Chelsea also "want to win something to makeup for league failure and CL humiliation."