main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It was a part of an elaborate double-bait that resulted in your pitch-perfect response. We danced.

Pierluigi Collina.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If that's what you consider getting a rise, I hope you never have to prostitute your body to make ends meet.

Pierluigi Collina.[/quote]

Were you his victim? :(

Edit: I also protect this new quote thingy!

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Justice was the victim, Paul. Justice.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm the victim here. You and your inadequate services.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Disappointing for Spurs to only get a single point off Wigan today, despite that early goal gift. Even on points with Chelsea, but down on GD, and Chelsea have a game in hand. That game at Chelsea might end up deciding who is top four and who is not. At least Stoke picked up three points and are now six away from the drop zone. Just need AV to pick up all three on Monday and we'll call it a good weekend for relegation-threatened yanks.

And, a decent result for Bolton today. Now, they just need the win at home next week to get into the promotion playoff. And, more importantly, they got Stu Holden back on the pitch today.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I still think there's a good chance Spurs and Chelsea both make it in and Arsenal is 5th. They still have a few games against teams fighting for their PL lives, I think.

At least that's what I'm hoping for.

7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Much as I despise Liverpool, they were great to watch today.

8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I want Tottenham to make the CL over Arsenal or Chelsea, but if they do miss out it increases the chances of Bale leaving, potentially to United. I'm kinda torn.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You don't want Spurts to have CL money, then they become a threat.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Arsenal have CL money, when was the last time they were a threat?

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Which proves the point. Arsenal are middle of the road with years of consistent CL money. Spurs have started challenging them without consistent CL money.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't see Spurs being a threat in terms of actually winning the league, regardless of whether they are in the CL.

I just prefer to see them in the Top 4 over City or Chelsea, because I like how they play and the fact any success they get will be earned and not bought quickly with some guy's personal money.

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    As did Chelsea. Qualified for CL before Roman took over

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    And would they have won the league without him?

This is hard to say, but it seems as though the would not. Spurs are not likely to either, just like Arsenal they will be a good side capable on their day of beating anyone but never quite having the consistency and overall depth of talent to get it done.

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I wasn't replying to you

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    ten years ago. The landscape - and money- has changed considerably since then.

And...Chelsea just about qualified. Was it consistent for over a decade?

17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Spurs haven't been consistent for over a decade. They've shown a gradual improvement culminating in 4th place. Same as Chelsea did.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    And while Spurs have a good business model that has made them competitive, it could easily limit them when it comes to attracting the players teams like Chelsea & united go for.
    The wage cap is sensible but problematic, City have to pay part of Adebayor's wage because Spurs' limits don't cover that much. I don't think a lot of teams are going to be happy with paying part of the salary of a player they don't own anymore.
    So not only will they struggle to afford the Torreses of this world, they will struggle to pay them enough to make playing for the club appealing (it shouldn't be that way, but alas it is).

But at least currently Spurs won't fall foul of the Financial Fair Play rules coming in, whereas a team like Man City are likely to be punished by it if they keep posting heavy losses (which probably will happen). Chelsea at least have, finally, posted a profit which will be good for them if they can keep it up.

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Saw a fantastic goal from a karate kick block of a kick from the goalie on the news today. Somebody should really post it.

20. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  21. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Bale can't miss at the moment.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    QPR get relegated. 'Arry having a chuckle.

23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  24. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    So Lampard needs 2 goals with about 5 or 6 games remaining. I wonder how many games he will actually get?

heels1785 likes this.
  25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I was disappointed with Mata at the end. 2-0 up with a few minutes remaining. He had a simple pass with Lampard central, but went for the shot.

Cant they do what they did with Torres. Keep passing to him :p

heels1785 likes this.