main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Most comment in Germany on the Rooney to Bayern rumor is that it's not going to happen. With Götze signed and Lewandowski probably headed there as well, there's no room for Rooney.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Rooney's best position is "the hole", the floating number 10 sitting between midfield and the striker. He has always played best there, he gets to roam around and cause trouble as well as create and link up with the striker to aid in scoring. Few have his physical strength and natural ability to do as well in that role, he & RVP are an excellent pair as are he & Hernandez.

Kagawa was brought in to cover Rooney if he gets injured since in the past United have struggled when he was not around to spark some life into attacks. But Kagawa hopefully can also operate as a central midfielder and play with Rooney, otherwise he's just a wasted super-sub.

It would be stupid for United to let him go, and for Rooney to leave.

3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'd be a little worried if I were a ManU fan, SAF and Gill both played huge roles in the clubs success and now they're both leaving. With the Glazer debt hanging over their heads, the club can't afford a prolonged downturn.

EDIT: I think it's pretty obvious I'm not his biggest fan, but I rather love CR7's tweet on the news:

Thanks for everything, Boss. pic.twitter.com/WfU1h2Prhb

heels1785 likes this.
  4. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Nice to know Ronaldo still has some respect, he should show it more often.

There is some concern no doubt about United's potential problems without Ferguson (and also Gill, though his replacement has been responsible for generating United's increased revenue under the Glazers so he knows how to keep the club financially solvent) . Remember Fergie won no trophies in his first 4 years at United, can't afford to have guys like Moyes or Solksjaer do that given the current debt issues. The club has to keep winning, so bringing in someone who has never won anything is a risk regardless of how much Fergie might rate him.

But given how the club is set-up and the team that is now in place I think it could still keep winning. There are players in the team who can be around for 10+ years, guided by a new manager and with experience of winning thanks to this season and a hunger to keep on going generated by Ferguson's mentality and the veterans who served under him for so long.
    United just need someone who can still get hunger and unity out of the players, not an easy thing in an era dominated by money and ego.

5. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Pretty clear that Fergie is leaving because he fears Mourinho.

And I'm pretty sure Moyes recently said that he's focused on trying to get into Europe for next season.

6. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    You know, I don't even think Liverpool supporters would hate him for it because they know he would be unintentionally sabotaging the club from within.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  7. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i wouldn't be too concerned if Rooney leaves, because it would mean Kagawa can play his proper position without interference. we don't really need Rooney up front and as much as SAF toyed with the idea, he's not a central midfielder. i don't want him to leave, but we can deal with it now, unlike a few seasons ago.

no idea where he would go, though.

Everton - if Moyes does leave, who would you want to replace him?

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    And also Everton if you had a criticism of Moyes what would it be?

9. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    also, as for the debt, it's a non-issue. it's now dropped to around £350m, and that's without the huge Chevrolet deal kicking in and the upcoming renewal with Nike, which should probably double its worth. the debt should be all clear within 5 years, if not earlier.

10. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    What if you don't get into Europe?

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I would have preferred Ferguson to leave after the debt cleared, giving the new person a clean slate to work with and no financial restrictions.

I have been listening to Bryan Robson talk about Ferguson and wonder if he might consider going for the vacancy. I doubt he'd get it but he might be asked.

I honestly can't see it being that bad, the team is too good to not get at least Top 4. Frankly outside the Top 2 would be seen as a bad season.

5 teams fighting for 4 places does make it tougher, but Chelsea & City should make it easily next season and United will be the other. The other spot will be a fight between Arsenal & Spurs

yankee8255 likes this.
  12. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

I think utds commercial arm could cover that for a couple of seasons.

A long spell out of Europe would be bad though.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Even if United did by some freaky piece of misfortune happen to be outside the Top 4, Europa League does bring in some additional revenue and should be winnable.

14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Wasn't last year :p

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I assume you already knew the answer to this, but for those who didn't

Played 45
    Won 0
    Drawn 18
    Lost 27

16. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    With some luck he'll win at Old Trafford next season.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    That's because we didn't care about it (neither did City really), would have to if it was the only European contest available because a Top 4 finish wasn't going to happen.

18. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    poor Zaha. Fergie's last ever signing, and won't ever get to play for him.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    But he can always use the "I was signed by Sir Alex Ferguson" card :p

20. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    I wonder if Baines will be Moyes' first signing.

EDIT: and Rooney his first sale.

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...z-Chelsea-manager-Id-Stamford-Bridge-job.html

That's some of it

22. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    ****. [face_plain]

In a little more detail... although Ferguson has been at Old Trafford for twenty-six years, and Moyes only eleven at Goodison, I feel as many United fans are currently feeling. For as long as I care to remember Moyes has been Everton. I've not had to worry about him being in any danger, no matter how bad things got. Likewise Ferguson has been the only manager many United fans will care to remember in their lifetimes, and for some he's been the only manager they've known. I don't begrudge Moyes the move. Kenwright has failed to provide the funds Moyes needs to take Everton on. Goodness knows what's going to happen at Everton, but United are getting the best manager it's possible for them to get.

As for Moyes' weaknesses. None that have yet been identified. So far every perceived fault can be traced back to a lack of resources.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The whole "I'd never take Chelsea Job" thing has certainly come back to bite Rafa. The other stuff is standard manager diss-your-enemy type of thing. Ferguson has said far worse stuff about opposing teams over the years than Rafa has said about Chelsea.

24. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Mind games is one thing. Dissing the fans is stupid, as is the nonsense about compiling dossiers on players.

25. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Butthisisafact. Afact.

halibut likes this.