main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm disappointed, but I wish him the best. He deserves the chance. Not much more to say, really.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm hoping for Mark Hughes or Neil Warnock.

3. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Kenny Dalglish probably lives in the area.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He wouldn't manage a small club.

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The biggest shame is that Moyes's last game for Everton will be a huge defeat

6. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Moyes'ss last game for Everton will be a draw.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Sorry E, hope you guys get a good replacement.
    Martinez or Hughes would be good, I heard Neil Lennon might be a contender.

Moyes gets my backing, at least for the next season. Not sure how he'll do in the CL but he has plenty of league & cup experience. Rumours I've seen suggest Ferguson will almost shadow-manage through him for a season to help him deal with areas he's not so experienced in before stepping away. That may be a sensible option if true.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, plenty of experience in abject failure. Long may it continue!

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Over-achieving at a club with limited resources is not failure.

Problem these days is too much priority in league position because of the money awarded and the chance of European competition. Moyes like most of the clubs outside the top 5 would rather finish high in the league than win a trophy, so he didn't prioritise the FA Cup or League Cup so much and put in as much required effort which could have seen Everton win. I think clubs should strive to win things above all else, as should players. Unfortunately money speaks in the game these days.

Everton also suffered from lack of depth, Moyes never had the money to create a team capable of competing on all fronts so he had to prioritise.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Do you work for his PR department. Since he took charge, Millwall and Wigan have reached the same amount of cup finals. Portsmouth and Birmingham have won more cup finals. And that's just from terrible memory, I'm there are even more examples of even smaller teams than Everton equalling or bettering the Moysiah's achievements. His cup and European record are indefensible unless you're blinkered.

But! His first game is for a trophy, so he can turn it around immediately.

11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Hughes is a terrible manager.

i think that's a terrible idea. this is his team now, SAF shouldn't be interfering (and i don't think he will). Moyes requiring some kind of shadow management is beyond patronising.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Consistency is key, Wigan have consistently nearly been relegated for years but that's the wrong kind.

Moyes doesn't need someone to hold his hand, but he needs advising on how to effectively deal with stuff he has little experience of. Ferguson advising him all the time is pretty much him running things through Moyes.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking Richie talks nonsense.

Love you, epic bro.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Now IS the right time for The Moysiah. Five years from now, the Manchester United job would be below him, because Everton.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Mourinho would have been a transition filled with more success, but I'm happy to wait a couple of years to see Moyes' plan for United start working.

And no-one is beneath the United job, because there is no higher platform in British management.

16. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    :*

17. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    my instinctive first choice was Mourinho and not Moyes. however this was based on the (most likely naive) assumption that Mourinho at OT would be his final career move (bar Portugal) and would begin a more settled time for him. if that wasn't to be guarenteed, then he never stood a chance and it's probably a good thing that he hasn't come. the United job shouldn't be merely another notch on his managerial walkabout.

i don't buy the "controversial" angle because SAF himself hasn't exactly been non-controversial in the last 26 years.

i have all the faith that Moyes will be a great success. the team is ready made for success. i will go into next season expecting to win the title, and Moyes can certainly achieve that with this squad.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Bobby Charlton was opposed to having Mourinho, simply because he felt his attitude was not befitting of a United manager (attempted eye gouging and such). Mourinho likes to be bigger than the teams he is managing, that's not how United operate.

Plus United don't want to end up like other clubs and have a string of managers over a short period of time. That is not good for stability.

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    This is a top drawer bait. I assume it's a bait, because otherwise the entire footballing establishment and, most notably, SAF himself, are wrong. Which is palpable nonsense.

Regarding the United job being below Moyes in a few years, that's also a magnificent bastardisation of what I was saying. Moyes was the best man for the job, but winding up in any job is about timing as much as it is about suitability. Had Moyes not taken the job yesterday, United would've filled the vacancy and Moyes would (IMO, despite his statement to the contrary this afternoon) have gone elsewhere in the summer. A bigger club, almost certainly abroad. He would have been a success, this is certain. So the next time the United job comes up Moyes could well be content to stay where he is - enjoying success - wherever that may be, instead of upping sticks for Old Trafford. His words yesterday, that he simply couldn't turn the job down, were easy to say because the situation is perfect, the timing is perfect. Succeeding Ferguson directly, a stable club (no Mourinho-nonsense to clear up), no contract to see out at Goodison and critically... not just a step up in class, but a chasm. Were the situation imperfect... were Moyes at a bigger club than Everton, a more monied club... he'd give far more thought to staying where he was. Timing and suitability. Both must be on your side. United are lucky to have him. It was their only definite shot at him.

Finally, Moyes does not require babysitting. Neither would he accept it. Ferguson will offer advice if it is requested, I am sure... but I've no doubt that Moyes would've gone into the job with stipulations of his own. The first would've been absolute control. His word is the law. If Ferguson says something he disagrees with, then it is summarily disregarded. I think that's one of the characteristics Ferguson likes in Moyes.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    On a more light-hearted note, here's my best United XI from SAF's tenure (assuming they're all in their prime):

Peter Schmeichel

Gary Neville
    Gary Pallister
    Jaap Stam
    Denis Irwin

Ryan Giggs
    Bryan Robson
    Ropy Keane
    Andrei Kanchelskis

Cristiano Ronaldo

Robin van Persie

(no Rooney, lol)

heels1785 likes this.
  21. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    apparently SAF was going to drop the "i'm retiring" bomb at the end of his trophy ceremony speech at OT this weekend. that would have been epic.

unfortunately someone from the inner circle spilled the beans which has lead to the last few days.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    No, the inexorable progression of time has lead to the last few days.

23. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    No, Cantona?

It's always about you, isn't it?

24. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Schmeichel

Neville (G)
    Vidic
    Stam
    Irwin

Ronaldo

Scholes
    Keane
    Giggs

Cantona
    van Nistelrooy

heels1785 likes this.
  25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Well, I don't think Cantona was as good a United player as Ronaldo was, and I wouldn't play Ronaldo and Cantona in the same side. So Cantona had to go.

I've had lots of discussion with friends about best United IX's (there are a number of United fans at work) and I was the only one who put Kanchelskis in. I don't know whether it's because he played for Everton, but for my money he was the second best pure winger in the history of the Premier League. Giggs being the first.