main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Tell me about De Bruyne. How many times have you seen him play? What are his strengths? What are his weaknesses? Where do you see him fitting into the first team?

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I can see why he'd want to leave: he's won a (very large) cupboard full of trophy's on a team level, but on a personal level has never come close to fulfilling his potential, at least not consistently. For much of his time at ManU he's been a highly paid, over-qualified role player. With the acquisitions the club has made (esp Kagawa and Van Persie) plus the rumors surrounding the likes of Lewandoski, Cavani, etc, it's pretty obvious he's going to be struggling to be in a position he feels gives his the best opportunity to fully utilize his skills.

Also, I find the thought of Mr Blue Collar Brute in the City of Lights hysterical.

On DeBruyne, sounds like he's almost definitely heading to Germany, either Leverkusen or Dortmund. I get the impression he'd prefer the latter (more successful, better coach) but Leverkusen hold the better cards, with Chelsea already having agreed to sign Schürrle so they could do a swap. For a move to Dortmund to work out, they'd have to convince Chealsea to take Lewandowski, and convince him not to go to Bayern.

EDIT No sooner do I post than BILD reports that KdB has agreed to terms on a 5 year contract with Dortmund, pending agreement between BVB and Chelsea on a fee (around 15MEUR).

3. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002

lol.
    PSG or a rich Russian club. I can't imagine Real, Barça or Bayern forking out the money for him.

4. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I could see Real doing it. That's one thing that's been pretty overlooked so far -- Real will likely be a large rebuilding project over the summer, with Mourinho gone, as well Alonso, possibly Cristiano R7, probably quite a few others. If Cristiano does leave, I could see the Galacticos mindset leading Real to go after Rooney.

EDIT There also reports out of Brazil that Neymar has signed with Bayern. If it's true, which I doubt, Bayern fans should really worry about the direction Pep is taking them.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Ronaldo is a tough one too, where will he go and who could afford him? He's likely worth much more now than what Madrid paid United for him, few clubs would be willing or able to pay that kind of money.

6. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    The only clubs that could afford him would be ManC, Chelsea or PSG. Kind of an odd concept, a top player in his prime wanting to leave Real. In the past, he'd indicated he wouldn't play for an English side other than ManU, I wonder if that changes with Ferguson's retirement?

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    United can't afford to buy him, so he may go to another European team he thinks can do well. A team like PSG would have a lot of egos though, he might find himself at odds with many of the players.

Beckham never went to another English club out of respect to United fans and Ronaldo may do the same. I would think Rooney will too, even if United won't sell him to Chelsea or City I don't think he wants to go there.

8. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Every one seems to be going to Bayern these days so maybe so will Ronaldo? :p

Anyway I doubt Ronaldo will leave Real this year and you can quote and make fun of me if I'm wrong.

9. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    A pretty good look at Rooney's options, or lack thereof, in the Guardian.

EDIT: interestingly, a Spanish paper (Mundo Deportivo) is reporting that Real are willing to bid 40MEUR for the Roonster.

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    he's not worth more than £80m now; he'll be 29 next season. something around £60m would be more appropriate, and the Glazer's could afford it if he indicated he wanted to come back. he won't, but they would pay it.

few rubbish rumours about United targeting Fabregas. now that would make me happy. we've officially entered the silly season.

11. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I'd mainly like to see Cristiano move just for the incredible transfer carousel it would set off.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Crikey. Bit of an interrogation, Diggy.

1) Answer: Once. Chelsea vs. PSG in NYC, for a half. He was rather ordinary.
    2) Answer: I have no idea. I guess his strength is that he's good, and his weakness is that he's not bad. I've just read about him on the internets. Oh, and he can score, was pretty good for Genk from AMC, and I think he's done fine on loan at Bremen.
    3) Answer: Maybe filling Lampard's spot, or rotating with MacEachran somewhere down the line, even though he's more of an attacker than holding MF like Mikel. Possibly rotate with Ramires?

Does this mean I can't like him? Because I'd be bummed.

yankee8255 likes this.
  13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Diggy has no interest in the answers to the questions he asks

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  14. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes but he wins at the Internet. So it's okay.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  15. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    How's "He single handedly saved Bremen from relegation the last 2 months" as a strength. Not to mention "He's not a scouser".

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Nah, I'll allow it, I was curious if you liked him on rep or viewings.
    what makes you say that?
    i think you're looking for the "Cry more, bitches" thread.

17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Excellent. I like him on rep, and what I read- cheap, yes, but my best avenue for watching the game is Fox Soccer Channel, so I make do.

That's cool to know, yankee8255, all I'd heard was that he'd caught the eye of Dortmund and could be a leg in any dealings over Lewandowski. In the same way Courtois's loan extension would be in dealings with Falcao.

Looks like PSG is adamant about keeping Ancellotti, or just trying to raise his price.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    CBS in a couple of weeks ;)

21. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    KdB mainly plays as a winger, though he's played in the middle when needed. Smallish, good on the ball, quick. Dortmund could use someone on the wing, Götze and Reis both like to be on the center of the itch, so that BVB lacked width on the left.

I assume PSG just want to up the price, and have a replacement lined up. Apparently Mancini is on their wish list.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Learned more in this thread than I knew before about him. :p

So is he a Mata/Hazard prototype? (even though there is some difference between the two, they're relatively similar in style) Speaking BVB, you think they go after Dzeko if Lewa leaves?

I think Mancini would fit in at PSG, as would Rafa Benitez. Always been a huge fan of Ancellotti, I really detested Roman for sacking him at the time, I think he'd be worth the price tag for Madrid.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    PSG has designs on Europe. Has Mancini ever been any good in Europe?

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Once, maybe. Definitely not recently.

25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    So I assume we're all Wigan fans tonight?

DarthIntegral likes this.