main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Aw didum's Rooney has a sad

He wouldn't have a sad if he'd actually played better last year as RVP would have been on an even keel with him but as he didn't step up his game he's now pissed off and has a sad

didums

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Rooney will be fine if he plays well, he has always been best as a #10 so I don't get why he's unhappy at the idea hell only play up front if RVP is not available. Even then Hernandez is a better choice with Rooney behind, because that works better. All Rooney has to do is show he's better than Kagawa and he'll play all the time, behaving like a sulky teen won't get him anywhere.

Nick Powell might be loaned to Norwich, that could be good for him since he needs experience in the top league and likely won't get much playing time for United right now.
    Bleacher Report thinks Zaha should also be loaned out next season to help him develop.

Chelsea target Cavani has now signed for PSG for £55million

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Sure is joyous watching the next great Chelsea striker choose instead to play in Ligue 1. Twice.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  4. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Given how good Lukaku was last season for WBA, Chelsea can play him & Ba up front and not need to spend £50mil+ on a striker. Yet they seem to keep trying anyway

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I hope you're right.

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    United reject £10m + Mata for Rooney.

I would bite their hand off. Hopefully they'll come back with an improved offer.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Why would Chelsea offer their best player?

8. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    apparently he doesn't fit into Mourinho's system.

apparently

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Strange, he can play wide and centrally and is technically very good. Mourinho favoured 4-3-3 when he was first at Chelsea with Robben & Duff or Joe Cole out wide supporting Drogba in the middle. Were he still to use that, Mata could play wide in support of Torres or Ba or as one of the midfield 3.

Chelsea had the best midfield around last season in a 4-2-3-1 formation where Mata & Oscar & Hazard were the central 3. Not sure who Jose wants who could do that job as well as Mata has been doing.
    Anyway, Chelsea have denied they made a player+cash offer so it doesn't Mata :p

10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Mourinho used a 4-2-3-1 most of the time at Real, I would have asusmed he'd use it again there. Interesting question is where he wants to put Rooney: up front, or at the 10?

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Thank the maker that United turned us down. I wouldn't trade Mata for Rooney straight up in a gazillion years, much less give them even more money. No clue what they're thinking, but I hope they stop pursuing Rooney and (allegedly) Suarez, settle for the fact that we whiffed on the two big ones (Cavani and Falcao), and start getting ready for the season.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Indeed, Chelsea have a quality team and can challenge easily for the title with the players they have.

In a poll on the Evening Standard site aimed at Chelsea fans, 88% have voted trading Mata for Rooney is not a good deal.

Daily Mail says Chelsea have since offered £22million and no players, which has also been turned down.

Given they have Ba & Lukaku already, it's unlikely Rooney would be the main striker. He hates playing wide and already does the #10 role at United which Chelsea have Oscar & Mata for anyway. Why go to a team that will play you in the same position you apparently don't want to be in?

Equally, where would Mata play for United? They have numerous wingers already and Kagawa to play behind RVP. Would Mata be happy playing deep alongside Carrick? It might hinder him a bit.

13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    The Guardian are reporting that Barca are open to selling Cesc because they're desperate for cash.

BTW, did Xabi Alonso leave Real for Chelsea? There were s many deals reported at the start of the transfer period, and so many that didn't go through, that I've lost track.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    At this point, I think it is still in "rumor" stage, but I'd consider it a likely one.

Jose will not get off this Rooney thing, he's telling Sky Sports that he is Chelsea's "only transfer target." I'm ecstatic to have him back at the Bridge, but I wish he'd back down.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Rooney when fit & on form is a great player, but is he really one Chelsea need?

Barca seem to have spent too much money foolishly, they have damaged their own long-term plans if they end up selling their best secondary players.
    Would Fabregas be OK playing deep for United? Seems like he'd be deployed next to Carrick most of the time.

yankee8255 likes this.
  16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Rooney is the Player of his Generation™. Any club would be happy to have him.

heels1785 likes this.
  17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    United seemingly aren't happy for them to have him.

After all this hassle, Rooney better have his best season so far for United so as to justify not taking Chelsea's initial offer.

18. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Apparently Chelsea offered £27m for Rooney, and didn't include any players. That was just United stirring, feeding the press bs, in retaliation to the offer.

Apparently

Also apparently Edward Woodward is on his way back from Sydney to the UK to finalise some important deal. Would you believe that?

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Who is Edward Woodward?

20. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
  21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    That guy what got burned by Christopher Lee in a dress.

I like the article segment in the Evening Standard - "Rooney still thinks United should build their team around him, but he's the only person who can't see that's a rubbish idea"

ESPN says Rooney should stay so he has a true legacy at United to rival those of Law & Charlton. I am inclined to agree, he's not that far off being United's all-time top scorer who be forever immortalised in the history of the club yet he wants to go elsewhere where he'll probably achieve less just because he has an over-inflated opinion of himself.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Lousy double post.

Mourinho talking about players having to get regular football so they can be selected for the World Cup, presumably to tempt Rooney. Thing is though, Rooney will get picked for England regardless because he's the only really good player we have (aside from maybe Wilshire when he's actually fit) :p

It's also idiotic to suggest Moyes will just leave Rooney on the bench all the time, he has never said he would do that. He wants to have Rooney in the team as much as possible, just likely in a position Rooney doesn't want to play in

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Which, to be honest, is pretty pointless. If Rooney doesn't want to play in a particular position, then he won't perform to the best of his ability (particularly in light of this recent drama)... and I dunno about anyone else but I'd still be pretty excited about a team built around Rooney in his best position. That's something I think Mourinho quite fancies. I'm not saying Rooney will suddenly become the player he once threatened to be, but it would still be pretty good.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The problem is it's difficult to know what Rooney's best position is, because his strength is being versatile enough to play in a variety of positions. IMO he has always been best playing in the hole behind the striker since he loves to roam around and track back infield and generally cause problems. Up front alone he is restricted to waiting for decent crosses and passes, most of the time those come from him going deep to get the ball anyway. I always thought Rooney liked playing in that position, he can do it all from there.
    Rooney is not unlike Drogba in being a strong muscular striker who can bully defenders, and Drogba was brilliant for Chelsea.

Teams don't really play 4-4-2 anymore, Rooney can't play alongside someone else and it would be stupid to bench RVP because he's arguably the best striker in the EPL. Rooney should see Kagawa as an incentive to do well, otherwise he knows there is now someone who can occupy his position. For too long United depended on him and he was used to being The Man, just because he isn't that now doesn't mean he still can't be great.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No, it's only you that still overrates the chunky washed up ****.

26. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Jovetic to City.

Another impact player that we could have landed while haggling over Shrek.