main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Just read that Ben Affleck is replacing Bale

2. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Double post

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Spurs will also need someone to replace Willian it seems :p

halibut likes this.
  4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Bent!

epic likes this.
  5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Odd that Arsenal seem keen on getting strikers when that is the one area they have some quality & reliability in.
    They need better defenders and a holding midfielder rather than strikers, Grioud & Podolski & Walcott can score plenty of goals.

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    A gloriously inept performance. Welcome to the Martinez era. :(

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's not like such performances didn't happen under Moyes. Martinez needs time to impose hiss style on the team just like Moyes does at United.
    He is also limited in transfer funds, unless he agrees to sell Fellaini & Baines to United.

Newcastle were apparently pretty awful in their game, they will need to add some players quickly or they will struggle.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Interested to see how Villa comes out. 3 games in a week, especially when those three sides are Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool, is quite the gauntlet to run.

9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Bent!

epic likes this.
  10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Longest double post ever!

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    And a third in a row

Possibly stupid question, but one that popped into my head after the Doncaster game was called off.

In an abandoned match, what happens to the cards given to players? To all intents and purposes, the game "didn't happen" as scores and times are reset for the re-arranged fixtures. So do cards also get reset?

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Also, are any injuries players suffer magically healed?

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I appreciate the comment but not all cards are for causing injuries. And there are other punishments available to players who cause them. And players can be injured in training which is also 'not a game' in the same way an abandoned match isn't.

I just think that if you get booked for kicking the ball away in an abandoned match shouldn't count in the same way goals don't count

14. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Honestly, I wasn't even looking to make a serious point. I was only being facetious. If I was pushed I'd say that cards should stand. They are issued for ill-intent (at least, that's the theory), and why should that be expunged from the record?

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    In the same way that goals are given for getting the ball over the line.

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    In the strict, did it or did it not happen, sense yes... but foul play means that someone deliberately chose to cheat at the game. Even if the match in which that offense took place is abandoned I don't think an intention to cheat, and the consequences thereof, should be ignored.

17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Then why not restart the game at a later date with he same score and the same minutes on the clock

18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Impressive game from Mignolet in net for Liverpool today. Took at least one point from Villa. Unfortunate to not be sitting on five points right now.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Two points, not one. But I disagree. His job is to stop ball going in, which he did. And it wasn't lucky saves off his arse or some such, he meant both. That's not this game in particular, it's my thought in general regarding keepers.

And I think read once that cards stand in an abandoned match. They do if a match is abandoned due to a team getting five reds, so I assume they do for other abandonments. Maybe.

20. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Abandoned for that I can see. But in that case the game is not rescheduled. If a game is rescheduled due to abandonment then the game never happened.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh, I didn't know they weren't replayed.

Whatever the law is, you have to feel sorry for the team who are winning handily, like Doncaster today. Away from home aswell.

halibut likes this.
  22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Charlton have been playing really badly, I expected better this season after they did well last time.

Spurs vs Swansea could be a good match

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Indeed. But I still think that if you're going to preserve any aspect of the abandoned game it should be instances where players have elected to cheat.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Have they said they will restart the game over again and not from 3-1?

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    They always replay abandoned games from the start, don't they?

26. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Yes they do. The score is reset. The time is reset. Cards should be reset (still don't know yet if they are or not!)

There was a nice touch in a Carling Cup match in 2007 when the game was called off because a Leicester City player collapsed at half time. Forest were leading 1-0 at the time. In the rescheduled game, Leicester let Forest score to make the score as it was (but went on to win 3-2)