main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I wouldn't go that far. It was good, but there have been a number of quality overhead kicks before.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    England in actually looking decent shocker. They should be about 4 up with the chances they've had.

No secret they look better with Carrick in there instead of Lampard.

Welbeck could do with staying on his damn feet tho.

3. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Also, to take a leaf out of E's book, Baines should be starting ahead of Cole. Every game.

4. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Lampard on for Carrick. Weird substitution.

5. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    And that's that. Well done. Quarter finals here we come.

Leave Lampard at home pls.

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    WE'RE GONNA WIN THE WORLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right?

EDIT:
    There's no reason - barring injury to Baines - why Cole should ever start for England again.

epic and FatBurt like this.
  7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'd rather try Luke Shaw over Cole from now on and Lampards time with the three lions is done

epic likes this.
  8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Lord have mercy on whomever else is in a group with Netherlands and a seeded team ...

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Probably Australia.

10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

They've cruised through qualifying each of the past 3-4 cycles, but I think much of that has to do with very favorable draws. I don't think they're much better than the terrible team that went out of last Euro in the group stage.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I love it when countries like Honduras qualify for the WC. Population of relatively the state of Virginia, and they make it into a field of 32. Well done.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The Dutch always have a quality team yet never seem to win, I hope that will change sometime soon but I'm not optimistic

Agreed.
    Frankly, after the World Cup I think guys like Cole, Gerrard, Lampard & Carrick should retire from international football. The way forward should include younger people like Townsend not reliance on 30+ year old players.

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. The squad that qualifies should be the squad that goes to the cup.

14. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Considering the amount of players used how do you drill that down to the 23 that go?

Is this to be a FIFA edict as well as going alone on this would be suicidal if it were implemented.

Personally I'd rather take the best possible players who are in form, if that means dropping a player who played in all the qualifiers but has had a poor league season then so be it.

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    No, it wouldn't be an edict. But those who get you there should be the ones to play. Same as in domestic cup runs. If you play your reserve team at the start, then they should play in the final should you get there.

And with back to back wins - the best run of the qualifiers - you pretty much have your squad

16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Players move in and out of form over the course of a cup run, or the time between qualifying for a major international tournament and actually participating in one.

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I think it would be reasonable to say if you didn't make the squad for any qualifiers, you can't be on the squad for the tournament.

halibut likes this.
  18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    An international player should not be dropped based on domestic form, that's just silly. It's a different team with a different manager. Schurrle hasn't been good for Chelsea yet banged in a hat trick for Germany

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    heels1785 likes this.
  20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Brazil, USA, Russia, Italy on my first try in Group A. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

21. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Germany with Iran, Ghana and England. Not a cake walk, but I could live with it.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I got Germany, Italy, and Ghana with USA. I had a mild panic attack and stopped playing for a bit.

23. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Second try, Germany with Honduras, Ecuador and Bosnia. I'm sending that to FIFA.

DarthIntegral and heels1785 like this.
  24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe, but you pick them for the national team based on domestic form. If someone isn't playing well enough to get selected they won't be on the team.
    Townsend got called up because he did well for Spurs, if he plays badly and another player in his position plays well for their club I see no reason not to select them instead.

And once the big names retire you'll have to pick from in-form club players. Regardless of how well Lampard & co play for England there comes a point when it isn't progressive to play them anymore. Like Giggs at United. I don't want to see 40 year old players fielded at the 2018 World Cup.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Feeling pretty good about jumping on the Roma bandwagon early right now.