main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    So United have their two best players back + Mata and still lose. So freaking lame.
    Although the wind didn't help, and neither did having 2 defenders go off injured during the match.

Likely to be 9 points behind Liverpool now.

[​IMG]

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Did the wind suddenly switch at half time?

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I guffawed and fell off my chair in hysterics.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Commentators were talking about it blowing the ball out of the quadrant when players were trying to take corners, hence United going short all the time and not just firing it in. Didn't see the game but that's what was said on 5 Live.

Apparently Barcelona lost 3-2 to Valencia, that will be interesting if Atletico Madrid can win their match.

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It was as windy for the Stoke City players as it was for the magnificent Manchester United players.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    True, but they had two undefendable shots to give them goals and United were not as lucky.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I said we didn't lose.

9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    O, Mourinho. :(

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
  11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Had a £2 bet at 25-1 on Ivanovic being first goalscorer and a £2 bet at 14-1 on Chelsea winning 1-0. Very happy :)

heels1785 likes this.
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Heck yeah. What a big win.

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Laudrup sacked as Swansea manager. Didn't see that coming. Seems a very odd decision especially straight after the transfer window.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  14. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes but it's great coming into an quarter-final against them.

Funny thing is, when Moyes left Everton to begin his glorious reign at Old Trafford, Laudrup was linked with the job. Swansea said there was no chance. I'm glad of Martinez, now.

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Yes, because teams never do better immediately after a manager is sacked.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Does seem an odd decision, after all last season he won them the League Cup. So he has been very successful for them, surely that warrants him more time.
    Plus he's been unlucky with Michu being injured.

17. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Really? I thought it seemed fairly inevitable considering how bad Swansea have been since winning the League Cup.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It is nice to occasionally hope that a manager is given time to improve after a bad patch rather than sack him because the team is in bad form.
    Look at Stoke, they had lost like 6 games in a row before they beat United, that result moved them up about 6 places. Swansea only have to win a couple of games to get out of trouble, such is the PL this season.

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Exactly. They might be only a few points above the "zone", but they are 12th! And with a better goal difference than any team below them (apart from WBA who have the same)

20. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    And just look at their last few months. Yes, they drew some games they might have hoped to win (Villa, Norwich, Hull). But they beat Man U 2-1 at Old Trafford in the Cup, they scored 2 against Man City (the favourites), only lost 1-0 at Stamford Bridge, beat Newcastle 3-0. It's a crazy decision.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    That's football these days unfortunately.

You'd think more clubs would have learned from Wenger & Ferguson (and Moyes in time) because they were given time when they had bad spells at their club.
    Yes it's true Rodgers made most of the team Laudrup inherited, but he got it to win something and with a few good signings in the summer he could have had a solid team again.

He did make an odd decision in loaning out Ki who has arguably been one of Sunderland's best players whereas as Shelvey has not at Swansea. Playing both guys together might have been more successful, especially in the absence of Michu. And also Bony has only recently started scoring frequently after his big money move, some players take time to adapt.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Eric Djemba-Djemba has signed for St. Mirren. Since he was available, and given their lack of class in midfield, I'm surprised United didn't go for him.

23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    He should have gone to Chelsea. He'd link up nicely with Ba

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I was strolling past Old Trafford this morning, and spied two season tickets, nailed to a post. "I'm having those, "I thought to myself. You can never have too many nails.

Point Given likes this.
  25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I see your plan. Steal all the nails so that Davey's coffin is never completely sealed.

26. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    4-0 twenty minutes in..lol @ arsenal