main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Lots of rumours about United trying to get Cavani. He's a good player for sure, but is he someone United need?
    The front line isn't really the issue, the supporting midfield and defence is.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I swear, if we let United get him, I will swim to Stamford Bridge and kick somebody's ass.

3. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    2-1 for Benfica, unfair result but I'm not going to complain. I don't see us going through, Juventus is just a class better.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Ramires banned for 4 games. Good. Never rated him as a player (goal against Barcelona aside of course), and he has a very very dirty streak. Sooner we get rid, the better.

5. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    epic

Bent - 3
    Berbatov - 4

Schurrle - 7

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    you've got it in the bag, surely. Bent has been attrocious. and hardly plays.

Berbatov did score a classic for Monaco the other day though. :cool:

hopefully Schurrle gets a hattrick this weekend.

7. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    RIP Vilanova.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    So sad. 45 yrs old, ugh.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    RIP, I heard his condition turned worse but it just came so sudden.

10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Horrible news.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Sad news indeed.

Ferguson now seems to be backing Giggs to be full time United manager. I'm starting to think the old guy is losing it a bit. Giggs has a lot of experience as a player but you can't just throw a guy with no management experience into a top job. That's worse than giving the job to a manager without experience in Europe or of winning silverware.
    Giggs should be assistant under a top manager first & then be long term United boss.

12. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    you can't just throw a guy with no management experience into a top job??

[​IMG]

Guardiola questions this statement

heels1785 likes this.
  13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    He was manager of Barcelona B for a year first.

14. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Fair do's but one year with a none entity team isn't going to give you that much more experience than Giggs already has.

I'm not saying Giggs should get it, it'll probably go to Van Gaal with Giggs as assistant but it's not unheard of for a manager of "minimal" experience to step up and do well.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Monk has done OK with Swansea, but that's a different prospect to United with far lower expectations. Moyes as an experienced manager couldn't hack it there, just because Giggs has won stuff as a player doesn't mean he can either.
    Also he strikes me as a relatively mild-mannered guy and that isn't always a good thing. Moyes was too nice, Giggs might have a similar problem (although he knows the players better and they all like him). Keane would be a good backroom guy to have because he will lose his temper at people and sometimes you need to put the fear of God into players as Ferguson did.

LOL @ Southampton fans singing "we don't need Jay Rodriguez, we've got your back four" after Everton score two own goals.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    it was well crafted, no disagreement from me :D

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Giggs as permanent manager would be a dream come true. Please let it happen.

heels1785 likes this.
  18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    He's apparently bringing back "the United way" whatever exactly that is. I never get this thing that a team has to play a certain way, a team has to do whatever it can to win. Moyes got criticised for being too defensive and cautious, and OK that mostly failed anyway. But Mourinho has generally always been that way, as is the case with Chelsea much of the time (parking the bus is a craft they have mastered better than most). If that kind of tactic wins you the Champions League and/or a league championship surely that is what matters?
    Look at Arsenal, they have stuck rigidly to the beautiful passing game philosophy for years under Wenger and what do they have to show for it in the last decade? Fans aren't happy and not winning stuff, I bet they would take highly defensive "negative" football every season if it meant they won the league (or any trophy for that matter).

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    WTF Everton? Don't you want Champions League?

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    So the new manager of United to take them forward has picked about the most regressive Ferguson-esque team possible, with 3 of a back four that won't likely even be around next season and Cleverley in midfield. Both of the signings Moyes made aren't featuring (one on the bench and one not even selected) and not one single young player on the bench.

Same old United from the last few seasons, which was the problem in the first place.

21. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    yeah, it's a bad line up. Kagawa stupidly out to the wide again, Rooney still crapping it up as the 10, Valencia being as predictable as ever, the midfield sucking, and a creaky, ancient defense with only one player who will be there next season.

Giggs talked about Kagawa being selected because he scored a hattrick last season against Norwich. he started that game as the 10.

the sooner Van Gaal gets to OT the better.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Moyes at least had the right idea when he played Rooney up front with Mata & Kagawa operating behind. Those two seemed to have a good understanding, why not stick with that?

Well, aside from the fact they want to stick two fingers up at the previous manager.

23. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    well, we get the penalty. scrappy ol' thing. not sure why the defender wasn't red carded though, it looked like he was the last man?

24. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Odd that no card was given. Looked a stonewall penalty to me

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Mata makes a big difference, obviously.

It would be nice if Kagawa got a goal, has he even scored all season?