main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    [​IMG]

Potential, yes... but just about the best potential that's available.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That's fairly meaningless without number of games played. But I imagine his GPG average would be up there?

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Neverton and Fat Sam

4. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I agree it's a statistic in isolation, but it's encouraging even when viewed as such. To be honest I'm not sure I can be bothered to work out the GPG average at 21 for each of those players, but I'd be surprised if Lukaku didn't come out favourably. Certainly a better deal than 20-something million for Lallana.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    AND 30 MILLION FOR LUKE SHAW

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's pointless to compare Lukaku to Adam the Llama or the fat **** Shaw, they have entirely different roles and purposes.

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Money is money. Liverpool have overpaid for English talent. That's a fact. Not saying they won't do well, but overpay Brenda did.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The proof of that pudding will be in the eating. Delicious, delicious pudding.

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Lukaku was tipped to be the 'new Drogba' for Chelsea, it has turned out that Drogba is the new Lukaku.

(not mine ;) )

Everton and heels1785 like this.
  10. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Peter Capaldi Romelu Lukaku Peter Capaldi Romelu Lukaku Peter Lukaku Capaldi Romelu Peter Lukaku!!!!!

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

What do you think you'll get for him, Everton ?

heels1785 likes this.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    So did Kenwright have to sell the stadium to get the money for Lukaku?

Good deal for Chelsea, seeing as they have to comply with the FFP

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That is a hilarious quote.

14. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    If he stays for two or three years, helps us push on, then goes for more than we paid, that's absolutely fine.

EDIT: Plus, that was his opinion twelve months ago. Back then I'm certain he saw the loan as a step towards leading the line at Chelsea or moving back to the continent. Neither option came to pass. So whilst I think he now knows he needs to be the main man at a good club for a couple of years to attract the attention of a 'bigger club', he's also open to the idea of sticking around if my some miracle 4th place can be achieved this season or next.

I think it's a fantastic signing. For no bigger reason than this preserves the side that finished 5th last year. Stability is a huge deal, and is the advantage we have over some of the sides around us or immediately above us - Liverpool, Spurs, Manchester United (when they do spend), Arsenal... they are all buying more players who won't necessarily gel. Liverpool in particular. I know that this sounds like a way of excusing a lack of investment at Goodison, and in part it probably is, but letting this squad build on last year without too much disruption isn't a bad thing.

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Also Ross Barkley, the most coveted English talent since the Player of his Generation ®, isn't going anywhere.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It isn't building on last year, it's standing still.

Liverpool are buying players because of the influx of money and because there are more games. Although you're probably loathe to say it outloud, but I bet you think Everton will finish above Liverpool. That Liverpool will implode. But that's fanciful thinking, and that's a fact.

To go back to "over paying for English players", Lukaku cost the same as two Daniel Sturridges and a Ricky Lambert. I know which I'd prefer.

I also looked at Lukaku's stats, and the majority of goals were scored in the mighty Belgium league, so yeah, that table is a bit of a nonsense. He is slightly under a one in two striker in England, which is good and a more accurate star.

Also, no Bertrand to Liverpool. Wooohooo!

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    What about Victor Moses

Edit: nvm. Villa wants him on loan. How perfect.

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Paulie. Building on last season does not necessarily equate to buying more players. Stability is a fantastic thing. That's a fact. New faces are great to, but not until they gel. There's a slim chance of finishing above Liverpool, but it's unlikely... though please do keep trying to read my mind. Sturridge was bought when he was a bit of a gamble, but a good prospect. He flourished alongside Suarez. I doubt he'll get as many this season. Looking at his stats before last season (given that he's 24 now) hardly puts him in a higher bracket than Lukaku. As for Lambert... lol... given the choice you wouldn't have had him at Liverpool. He'll look out of his depth very quickly, and you know it. Lukaku has scored more EPL goals in the last two years than anyone except Suarez and van Persie. I think that's everything. No, wait... I'll read your mind. You know Lukaku is a great signing but are loathe to admit it.

19. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    If anything happens to Costa then Chelsea have an old Drogba and a continually **** Torres to fall back on. Good luck with that. Also, turning loanees into permanent deals signified progress in my eyes.

halibut heels1785 thoughts on Lampard playing for City for the first half of the season?

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I thought he would be playing with Villa for Melbourne City, since they're in the conglomerate. I guess the better competition will keep him ready for MLS, but I'll hate seeing him in that kit.

21. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    It saddens me as he said he'd never play for another PL team. But I don't think he really had a choice in the matter. As heels said, it will be awful seeing him in that kit. But at least it's not a red kit.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Blues look like **** against Bremen today.

23. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    Mourinho has said he was offered a new deal. So make of that what you will.

On another, Wenger-and-his-open-wallet-related, note, I am intrigued by Carvalho but would still love us to sign Khedira. £150k a week is a lot to pay a defensive midfielder, though. No matter how good he is.

-JR :)

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    So United win the International Champions Cup.
    It was an interesting series of matches adopting LVGs new style. I like that it helps the attacking players but I do worry about defence. United conceded two penalties in two games, having a back 3 can cause problems against a good attacking side especially if you have wingers who need to drop back & defend which isn't. Their strength.

Still, preseason wins over Real Madrid & Liverpool are good for the team. Winning a trophy gives them confidence in the new system

25. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Need new defenders. And another midfielder. I like how It fits RVP, Rooney and Mata in. Given they're the best 3 players, it's the way to go. Something Moyes never understood playing Mata out wide and Rooney in the 10.

In fact, given in many ways England's problems, particularly with Rooney, mirror United's off last season, Roy should given the formation a go too. It will help that Shaw, Smalling and Jones will all eventually get used to it. Plus I could see Johnson actually do okay in such a setup.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.