main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    You can't blame that capitulation on one decision. That poor decision (it probably was a penalty, but there was a far more obvious foul on Rafael just before) only gave it back to 3-2. What happened after that is nobody's fault except for the team, and the manager. It's a ridiculous formation and his pig-headedness with sticking with it without getting new defenders is baffling.

But a new record for Man U. First ever premiership game lost after being 2 goals up. Moyes would be proud.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I actually lean more toward epic. Those decisions were horrific, utterly dreadful, and they broke the game. I was impressed that LVG showed restraint post game, as Untied certainly has other issues, but this particular loss was far too heavily influenced by an incompetent official who got emotionally affected by a home crowd.

3. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    well that's why i said "no excuses obviously because we should have held our nerve"

i was referring to the whole incident really - the obvious foul on Rafael, plus the actual player going down without barely being touched. two ridiculous decisions within seconds - as i say, Clattenburg basically expected Rafael to "react" against the non-call, and had basically already made up his mind to make the call. terrible terrible stuff.

but yes, we should have been able to cope at 3-2, but the team is still lacking leadership. and that kind of decision just gave them momentum which shouldn't have been there.

as for the formation - he's reverted to 4 at the back for the last two weeks, so not sure what you're getting at there.

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    My bad. I didn't see the team layout at the start and just assumed seeing as there were never any defenders to be seen in position.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Rojo is still adjusting to PL football, the fast pace & physicality is not like other leagues. But he'd be better as a CB as Shaw has more experience playing as a LB and won't leave so much space.

A good veteran defender is needed in January. Blackett has a lot of potential but he is learning still and the other defenders aren't that great.

Herrera should support Blind more when United don't have the ball, everyone was going forward too much & they left him exposed. Blind isn't the quickest & with average defenders behind he needs support to keep them safe

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    yeah, in the diamond formation, there is the tendency for Herrera, like Di Maria, to play slightly too wide and leave Blind exposed. i don't mind Di Maria having more of a free role, because he's just sublime, but i agree Herrera needs to reign himself in slightly, depending on how the opposition is playing. against QPR it was fine - he got forward and was probably the best player on the pitch, but then QPR weren't really attacking or pressing.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Hopefully we can get the result tonight, but I've never liked playing boro.

Swansea have never beaten Everton in twenty competitive attempts. Hopefully that continues tonight.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Holy ****! Jozy Altidore has scored a goal!

The Capital One Cup - now with more uses than just mocking ManU!

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Southampton please hold on.

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    MASSIVE shock tonight. Fulham won a game.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Maybe they can one-up Wigan. Win a lesser cup, and get relegated from the Championship.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    It is painful to see a player of Bryan Ruiz's caliber being wasted in that hellhole.

14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Liverpool through 14-13 on penalties. Wow!!!!

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    That shootout was crazy.

What happens if you run out of players? Please tell me the managers take one :p

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No, the eleven on the field Pete and repeat.

Everton this weekend is either going to be 0-0 or 5-8.

17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000

What a silly question. That clearly happened tonight, and if you say "that shootout was crazy", then you must have some knowledge of it. So why would you not know what happens when every player has taken one?

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I saw highlights of it without any commentary. And the BBC's feed didn't say anything I could see except that players kept scoring. I saw that both goalkeepers scored.
    Pretty strange that the guy who scored the equalizing penalty during extra time then missed in the shootout

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    BBCs feed clearly said that after the keepers took their turns that it started again with Balotelli

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I didn't see the whole shootout, and the BBC feed was pretty congested so I must've overlooked the fact some of the same players did it again (I only just noticed having scrolled through the page about 4 times that two players missed early on).
    I had assumed the subs would have a go if they ran out of the main 11.
    The last time I saw goalkeepers taking penalties that I remember was England vs Portugal years ago

21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Ronaldo is on fire, do you think he could win Ballon Dor despite the World Cup performance?

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    No reason why not. It's not like Messi was much better at the WC

23. Venator77

Venator77 Jedi Master star 2

May 2, 2013
    Fulham won a game? Oh thank god! But I want to see a league win...

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Tim Ream not starting, but on the bench for Bolton. Would like to see them get the result against Chelsea today. I have a ton of respect for them, based on how they've handled all of Stu Holden's injury issues.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Holy crap, Mou. Really stripped down the squad for this one, eh? Sucks that we conceded, but hopefully we can hold onto this lead with this largely unfamiliar squad:

Cech
    Luis - Zouma - Cahill - Azpi
    Ake - Mikel
    Oscar - Schurrle - Salah
    Remy (now Drogba)

That's a great resting opportunity for our top guys. Lewis Baker and Andreas Christensen even make the bench.