main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    How available are games on TV in the UK? Ossy was marveling last year at the fact that I could watch every Arsenal match here (NBC sports for PL, FS1 for CL, beIN for whatever the hell we're calling the League Cup now :p). Is it just that you have to have satellite for that in the UK?

One article I was reading was talking about how some of the high ticket issues have to do more with the demand from foreign fans. Basically, the argument was that fans from outside the UK might only get one chance to see their team in person, so they'll be willing to pay more. Fans local fans said they do get that. I mean, if I get a chance to go to the Emirates some time, I'm not really gonna care how much it costs.

But I absolutely understand where you're coming from in the "they don't have to do it this way" vein. The Chiefs stadium had great parking for about $15. Within five years, they raised that to $35 for no reason. They also changed the parking plan (so rich people paying for up front parking could get in and out super fast). So where it used to take us fifteen minutes to park and walk in, now people are complaining that it takes over and hour to get in and park. That is quite clearly just greed. They haven't spent the money improving parking. Far from it.

I don't mean to laugh at working class fans at all. I get that for many people, $40 is expensive. I just think it's remarkable that there's such a disparity in how expensive tickets are. I mean, you pointed out that there are far fewer home NFL games. True, but there are also far more seats. I should look up average season attendance for, say, the Dallas Cowboys vs. Liverpool. I bet it's not that different (though now obviously Liverpool can get more fans in).

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well, while I'm from England, I have lived in the US for quite some time. (you know I'm Darth_Ignant, right? :p) Games are readily available, with some restrictions. For example, 3PM Saturday kick-offs can't be televised. That was part of the deal when the top division peeled off. At the time 90% of games were a 3PM Saturday kick-off, and the fear was that if the PL was televised at that time it would keep fans from going to their local, lower league teams. So now we have the PL games spread around to avoid that restriction. However, even with that spread, you'll still only get 1-2 games going on at the same time televised. You most certainly get a lot more available in the US.

It's the equivalent of having satellite or cable in the US; the more you pay, the more channels and access you have. It just didn't come about until 1990 or so.

Owners most certainly want the as many foreign fans as possible. As I said, they'll buy merchandise while locals will not. It's a thrill rather than part of every day life. So, while I'm a daytripper myself now, I still get the frustration of locals. And I'll side with them.

That $15 to $35 is a great example of what I many fear will become of the sport. The fact billions are coming in isn't enough, there will always be new angles to get even more, none of which seemingly give a crap about the fans that show up to every game, and live and die by their teams fortunes.

I know you weren't laughing at working class fans, and I understand the bemusement. As I said, it's apples to oranges. Simply compare the amount of people you're drawing from.

Liverpool's capacity now is around 54K. The Cowboys, I think, is in the region of 90K. So not really far more seats, especially when you take into account the number of games, that Liverpool, have Everton 300 yards away, and a couple of other professional teams on Merserside, plus Manchester 35 miles down the road. For local rivals the cowboys have one other team in the state 200 miles away and...New Orleans?

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You forgot to mention all the high school football teams in Texas :p

And yes, I know who you are. I just assumed you would still vaguely remember the situation back in the UK.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    High school teams in the UK counter that :p

And I wasn't sure, your phrasing made me wonder;)

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    So, in the USA Mexico game tonight, what do you think the US will do if they concede a free kick 20 yards from goal?

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Build a wall?

Diggy likes this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Close! Have the Mexican team build the wall.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    lol@ARSENAL

Always good when a title rival drops points to mid-table dross.

9. Venator77

Venator77 Jedi Master star 2

May 2, 2013
    We have Der Klassiker today as well

10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Dortmund hang on for a 1-0 win. Putting RB Leipzig into first.

Darth_Omega and heels1785 like this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Top of the table is open with a win over Middlesborough tomorrow. Knock on wood.

Regardless, the progress is remarkable. Last year we exited this weekend in 15th place, ten points from the bottom.

Antonio Conte does it better.

12. Venator77

Venator77 Jedi Master star 2

May 2, 2013
    Haaaahh haaa! Suck it Bayern!

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Eh, we got one point out of our worst-played match of the season. Of course it's really frustrating to constantly refuse to go top of the table whenever we have a chance. But we have gotten a number of late goals this year to come away with points, and that's a huge difference from last year.

Man U were due for a win, and they didn't get it.

14. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Might have helped if Özil had shown up.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Arsenal would have been top for two hours. And they are due for a win in this fixture.

16. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Cristiano Ronaldo aka God of Football !!!

17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Spurs salvaged today's derby with West Ham in the best possible way; made all the better that it was a part of an Arlo White broadcast.

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    The lineup I had available here in NY on free TV this morning was incredible, if not out and out orgasmic, culminating with Dortmund- Bayern at 12:30. No live football at all in Germany unless you subscribe to Sky.

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Top of the table.

[​IMG]

See how long we can hold out there.

20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I suspect it's going to be a season with the lead changing hands repeatedly. Not sure there's a side that can really run away with it.

21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't wish to alarm anyone, but six years from today the World Cup will kickoff in Qatar.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Will there be anyone left alive in Qatar to see it?

23. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    He's gone, I want Roberto Mancini to take the seat.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The Spurs everyone remembers, sadly.