main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    most of Manchester fiddles with their sisters

Darth Punk and Diggy like this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  3. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    still preferable to Spencer Matthews

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You'd rather finger your sister than Spencer Matthews?

Fair enough. I'd rather finger her too.

5. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    what. my point is United is more decorated overall, the only thing Liverpool leads in is Europe

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    So your point is Liverpool only leads in higher quality, tougher, more prestigious competitions? That's all?

You can't see it, but I'm pointing at your icon making the "drinky-drinky" motion.

7. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    lol no title win since 89/90. one CL since then

but oh yeah, you won stuff back when you were a toddler. yay?

8. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    besides, being actually serious, a title win trumps a CL win for me. a cup is a knock out, potentially luck-driven competition. a title is an arduous 38 game process that clearly showcases the best team. I mean I'll take both, but title should always be the number one aim

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'd take both, hold them the same for different reasons. You can have one bad league game and be okay. You can have one bad cup game and it's all over. Ask Arsenal.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    You also don't play Wet Sham and Watford in the Champions League.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    You can play Leicester though. They aren't exactly a quality team right now.

And I'd rate most PL teams above champion clubs from certain countries.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Or United

Diggy likes this.
  13. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    League title and CL win are both In the same ballpark obv, but I'm actually interested seeing you're a (n apparent) neautral: what did you enjoy the most, league 04/05 or CL 11/12?

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    TBF that's because you over achieved in the league recently and dreadfully under achieved in Europe. Purple nose will admit it himself.It's also why the hard shoulder ****ter will forever be in Bob Paisley's shadow. Nine years in charge, six league titles, three European Cups. We won't see the likes again.

15. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    agreed that we underachieved in europe, but disagree that he's in paisley's shadow. we're obviously going to disagree for obvious reasons on that. id say the longevity and the more competitive era makes fergie top though.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

europe, by far. you're the best team in the world, not just the best team in the league.

17. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    we underachived in europe with fergie for sure but he still won 2 of them and we made the final twice against arguably the best team of all time in barcelona

but still he won 13 premier league titles
    5 fa cups
    4 league cups
    countless community shields but no one cares about them
    2 champions league trophies
    a uefa super cup and cup winners cup
    1 club world cup and 1 intercontinental cup

then in scotland you add 3 scottish titles
    4 scottish fa cup titles
    scottish league cup
    uefa super cup
    uefa cup winners cup

hard to argue against saf being the best manager of all time

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well done, Lincoln City! :)

halibut and DarthIntegral like this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

Unquestionably, yes.

However, his legacy will also be partially tarnished for having absolutely no plan of succession in place to keep United competitive after his retirement. He had full control over the Moyes hire, and lots of influence over the Van Gaal one, too. I think Jose will eventually work the kinks out before his scheduled self-destruction around year 3 or 4, but the post-SAF years have been wasted ones.

20. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The magic of the FA Cup

Mar17swgirl and DarthTunick like this.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    On paper LVG was a good idea given his CV.

Part of the problem was the club itself. Gill shouldn't have left at the same time as SAF, it didn't help Moyes having an inexperienced Chief Executive come in with him & them mess up transfers. Gill's contacts and experience would have helped Moyes better in his season.

LVG made a some good signings, he just wasn't flexible enough. Wenger's troubles showcase the difficulties that come when you only ever play one way. Ferguson was adaptable, he had a lot of plans & styles he could try.

There also weren't a lot of options initially. Pep wasn't going to leave Barca at that time, and they didn't really want José.

heels1785 likes this.
  22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    A point for Poggber!

23. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I have to say, Blackburn have played well.

United have been better and Ibra and Pogba have given then a different class.

Good to see Rashford score though

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Rashford could turn out to be an unbelievable talent. Untied should be careful not to make the same mistakes we made with De Bruyne and Lukaku - namely, don't bury him behind Zlatan.

25. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    This year behind Zlatan, yes. Then next year in competition with, Rashfords youth and talent if there should come through at this point and should really push the ever aging Zlatan. IF he's good enough he should set himself up as number one by the end of the season. If he can't oust Zlatan in what is probably his final year then United should give him the last year into his 20/21st year to show he has what it takes. If not, then they need to look elsewhere.

Either way Rashford should look to learn from Zlatan and Rooney whilst he has chance