main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    And, just like this season, you'll have nothing to show for it.

But if only finishing in the Top 4 makes you happy, be happy.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    no chance of either of those things happening

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Wanna bet? :)

4. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    done and done!

speaking of which, heels1785, i am happy to accept my fate on the Pogba bet, even though he is still the best midfielder in the league

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Tbf he is the best midfielder in the league. The Welsh Football League.

And you pick the terms of the bet, Ste. Let's see how confident you are...

6. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Average attendance for selection of clubs [​IMG]

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

yankee8255, Martoto77 and Darth_Omega like this.
  8. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Well done to Man U for seeing out the EL final. Pretty dire game though.

But enough about that.

Today is the big day. The big anniversary. - 25th May all those years ago., on a football pitch far, far away (In Lisbon, Portugal)

A small band of rebels struck out from their secret hidden base in the East End of Glasgow, and took on the oppressive, defensive regime in an attempt to restore free flowing, attacking football to the galaxy. :)

On this day in 1967 (ten years to the day before another band of rebels scored a fairytale victory against the Empire) first Celtic Football Club became the first Scottish, first British and first team from a non latin country to win European club football's most prestigious prize, the European Cup (now contested as the Champions League).

The team:

1.Ronnie Simpson (Goalkeeper)
    2.Jim Craig (Right back)
    3.Tommy Gemmell (Left back)
    4.Bobby Murdoch (Right half)
    5.Billy McNeill (Captain, Centre half)
    6.John Clark (Centre half)
    7.Jimmy Johnstone (Outside right)
    8.Willie Wallace (Centre forward)
    9.Stevie Chalmers (Centre forward)
    10.Bertie Auld (Left half)
    11.Bobby Lennox (Outside left)
    12.John Fallon (substitute Goalkeeper, not used)

Jock Stein (Manager)
    Sean Fallon (Assistant Manager)
    Neil Mochan (Coach/Trainer
    [​IMG]

The manager : Jock Stein

[​IMG]

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08rg0bd/glasgow-1967-the-lisbon-lions

The opponents, Internazionale of Milan. Three times winners of the European Cup and the embodiment of the prevailing ultra defensive, stifling style of football that had dominated in Europe and abroad for some years. It's manager, Herrera, famed for devising the "cattenacio" (door-bolt) system of strangling creativity on the field.

"Haw! Are you supposed to be marking me the'day, big man?"

Greatest Ever Celtic Player, Jimmy "Jinky" Johnstone precociously singles out and challenges his opposing number in the Inter defence, who towered over him , creating the impression of a farcical mismatch. But the mercurial little winger showed the entire Inter defence how skill, bravery and flair could disarm even the mightiest sentinels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bertie Auld in the midfield
    [​IMG]

After only seven minutes though, it appeared that the script had been written for the Italian giants when the referee awarded Inter a penalty kick which they duly converted. They had 80 minutes to take care of business and hold on to their single goal advantage,as they usually did.

Celtic, however, had their own script. And the Nero Azzuro of Milan would be virtual spectators as Celtic's relentless attack ran rings around them for the remainder of the match. The only thing keeping the Bhoys in green and white at bay seemed to be their goalkeeper, Sarti, who made a succession of fantastic, last gasp stops.

"Jinky", Bobby "Buzzbomb" Lennox and Stevie Chalmers besiege the Internazionale goalmouth.

[​IMG]

Another attack This time, Willie Wallace is the one to threaten the Inter net.

[​IMG]

And another! This time Murdoch (4) throws himself at the barricade of black and blue shirts congesting the Inter Milan goal area.
    [​IMG]

With little interest in attacking and increasing their lead, and their ranks wilting under the inexorable wave after wave of Celtic presure, and while the Milanese still had the scoreline provisionally their favour, there was a seeming yet fervently hoped for certainty about the result.

Celtic unleashed the threat, previously unheard of to the Italian philosophy, of the full backs bombing forward and joining the swarm of hooped jerseys tormenting the Inter penalty area.

In the second half, Tommy Gemmel gets the equalising goal with an unstoppable shot from outside the box. From that moment, the Inter team themselves reportedly foresaw their own doom. Or at best, the chance to be subjected to a replay of Celtic's attacking dominance should the final score be 1-1.

Even the heroic Inter keeper Sarti could not deny the left back's murderous shot from the edge of the area.

[​IMG]

Stevie Chalmers(9) gets the winner with five minutes of the match remaining. 2-1 to Celtic.

He wheels away to celebrate with his comrades after touching Murdoch's shot past the keeper into the net.

[​IMG]

Jubilation at the final whistle! They did it!!!

Left to right is Lennox, Johnstone, Wallace, Chalmers, McNeill, Auld and Gemmell

[​IMG]

To the victors go the spoils.

[​IMG]

The reception at Celtic Park, Glasgow, of their heroes by the faithful Celtic support.
    [​IMG]

The final word fromCeltic's manager, Jock Stein.

"There is not a prouder man on God's Earth than me at this moment. Winning was important, but it was the way that we won that has filled me with satisfaction.

"We did it by playing football; pure, beautiful, inventive football. There was not a negative thought in our heads."

Watch the BBC's excellent documentary broadcast last night here (requires server with VPN set to UK for those outside of it) www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08rg0bd/glasgow-1967-the-lisbon-lions

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Nice post. I heard that this team were all born within a 25 mile radius of Celtic Park. Quite incredible.

Martoto77 likes this.
  10. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016

And for most of them it was less than a few miles, at most.

Winning against the established authority in the game, and at their first attempt showed many in Europe and elsewhere that anything was possible. It somewhat signaled the end of the purely defensive mentality of those times.

Celtic would reach the final with more or less the same eleven players in 1970 and were narrowly beaten by Dutch club Feyenoord. This heralded the advent of dutch football's dominance, while championing a similar attitude to inventive football as Celtic's. This became know as "total football", epitomised by Curyff, the three time European Cup winning team Ajax and the Holland teams that delighted neutrals throughout the 1970s.

11. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Did I mention that the victory in Lisbon meant the Celtic team of 1966-67 won every single competition and honour that they were entered for that season?

The Glasgow Cup was won on the 23 August 1966 with a 4-0 victory over arch rivals Rangers at Ibrox Park (Attendance 76,456)

The League Cup trophy was won in a 1-0 victory over Rangers on 29th October 1966 at Hampden (Attendance : 94,532)

The Scottish FA Cup was won on 29th April 1967 with a 2-0 victory over Aberdeen at Hampden Park (Attendance: 127,117) The two sides will compete for taht trophy this Saturday at the same venue.

The League Championship was secured with a 2-2 draw with Rangers at Ibrox park on 6th May 1967. Completing a rare treble.

And the big one - The European Champions Cup 2-1 vs Internazionale in Estadio Nacional, Lisboa (Attendance 45,000)

It has often been said that they could have won the greyhound derby that year, if only they had entered Bobby Lennox in the race. ;)
    [​IMG]

They were awarded the BBC Sports Personality Team Of The Year Award at the end of that year.

Here, manager of English League Champions, Manchester United, presents fellow Scotsman, Jock Stein with the award.

[​IMG]

Busby's Manchester United team (featuring ex Celtic player - Pat Crerand) would be inspired by Celtic's success to become the second Northern European, and first English team to win the European Cup with victory over Benfica in the following season's final at Wembley in 1968.

12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That was a pretty crappy game yesterday night, but congrats to all Man U supporters.

13. epic

Jul 4, 1999
  14. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Nope. I'm ordinarily a films board poster.

Darth Punk likes this.
  15. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    terrible year for united yet still finish the season with 2 trophies to add to the cabinet well 3 if you include the mickey mouse community shield. as well as back in the champions league. another year without a trophy for liverpool and spurs

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  16. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Richie, who do you think will win the FA Cup final?

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Chelsea

They're riding high from winning the PL, and they're a much better team.

Arsenal losing is also good for the club. They need a serious overhaul & won't get it as long as things stay the same, which will happen if they win.

18. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    arsenal will have a makeshift back 4 can see chelsea putting a few past them

19. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly after this season I think Man Utd show more potential than Liverpool, especially if Real come in for Coutinho. The former are probably missing a goalscorer or two (Rashford could become one of them)but otherwise look more solid than at any point post Fergerson, the latter though to me don't seem to be making much progress still looking vulnerable and as with Saurez very dependant on one player.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    16 more points, 15 more goals scored, 8 less conceded in Klopp's first full season and four players scoring over ten goals each.

You win an award!

[​IMG]

DarthTunick and heels1785 like this.
  21. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    16 more points? you mean 6? added to that I would say Man Utd not really looking very committed to the league when winning the Europa league became a real possibility.

Liverpool are certainly fun to watch but I just think theres a fundamental weakness there which you can't get away with if your going to challenge for the league, something Pep has found out as well. That weakness seems more fundamental than Man Utd's lack of goals to me which I can see Griezmann' and a maturing Rashford improving next season.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No, last time I checked 76 was 16 more than 60. So you have now won the award twice in row. Will you now go for the hatrick?

heels1785 likes this.
  23. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    I'm guessing were reffering to different things? I'm talking about Liverpools points total relative to Man Utds.

Again though looking at performances it still seems to me your caving in to teams you really shouldn't be and I have my doubts this is going to change under Klopp. I can see Man Utd becoming less wastful infront of goal next season though even with the players they currently have let alone with whoever they bring in. Then as well I think greater potential for you losing your more creative player to Spain again.

I spose you do need to judge my opinion by my being a Palace fan, Liverpool away seems to be our easiest points of the season these days.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, because you said Liverpool don't seem to be making progress, which is clearly made up nonsense.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Finishing Top 4 is progress for the current Liverpool team.
    To progress further, they'll have to keep doing it & win some trophies.

Which they can do. United though have a financial advantage in that they can afford to pay more for better players.
    As both have CL football to offer now, United's financial power may be what swings things in their favour.

Liverpool have certainly played far better than united this season. Although quality of play means little if you have nothing to show for it.
    United played **** for pretty much the whole season yet were the 2nd most successful team by the end.