main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    England

Total shower again.

Why do I put myself through this??

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    That's only cool when I do it.

3. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    That's only cool when I do it.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Burt, it's only cool when Yankee does it.

yankee8255 likes this.
  5. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    The new server is really working well, eh?

Diggy likes this.
  6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    About as well as a summer signing in Manchester

Diggy likes this.
  7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Lindelof expected to do well for Man U then.

(New signing just announced)

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Highly rated young player, he & Bailly could form a strong partnership.

Plus they cost less combined than Liverpool would have paid to get Van Dijk

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Worse players cost less?

Insightful as always, Richard.

SuperWatto likes this.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Van Dijk is decent, but he's not that good (he's not exactly Gimenez quality and I bet he wouldn't cost over 60million).
    He's certainly not as good as two defenders of the quality of Lindelof & Bailly.

I've not seen enough to be convinced he's that much better than Lindelof, apart from the fact he has more experience in a better league.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He's certainly not as good as two defenders of the quality of Lindelof

I've not seen enough

Insightful as always, Richard.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I see no problem in signing two young talented defenders that could become world class.
    Especially if they can be bought for a decent price.

Shouldn't be sucked into paying stupid money like City did for Stones, or anyone has for David Luiz.

Need a solid DM now, to replace Carrick

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Updated for accuracy and relevance.

SithLordDarthRichie and Diggy like this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Countinho and Mane were quality signings. And they cost less combined than Manchester Untied paid for the inferior Pogba.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    And Suarez cost less than Carroll or Torres.

Which is my point. Van Dijk isn't worth 60+million if he's not better than two defenders you can buy for the same price.

Pogba cost too much & hasn't played well enough to justify it. But his stature as one of the world's best midfielders meant he was worth having, and that was the fee required to make Juventus give him up.

De Gea as the world's best (or maybe 2nd best) goalkeeper is worth the sort of money United want for him, so Madrid have to decide if they want to pay that.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    But van Dijk is better, so your point is pretty worthless.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I wasn't aware Madrid & Barcelona & the other top European clubs were scrambling to sign him

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I wasn't aware Madrid and Barcelona or any top European teams were scrambling to sign Lindelof or Bailly.

And your manager is quite embarrassing.

Manchester United's Jose Mourinho: I always join teams in 'big trouble'
    http://www.espnfc.com/manchester-united/story/3142286/manchester-united-boss-jose-mourinho-i-always-join-teams-in-big-trouble

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has told Expresso he is "terrible at picking teams" to manage.

Mourinho highlighted his experiences taking charge at Inter Milan, Real Madrid and United as he told the Portuguese newspaper -- using the English phrase -- that he always joins clubs in "big trouble."

"I'm terrible at picking teams," he said. "I always choose teams that are in big trouble, as you would say back in England. Inter was in big trouble, Real Madrid was in big trouble and Manchester United is in big trouble -- in other words, always in big trouble.

"What does this 'big trouble' mean? It means that they are teams that want to win but are thousands of kilometres away from winning. One thing is the club's dimension and the club's history and another the club's current situation."

Inter had won Serie A under Roberto Mancini but had exited the Champions League to Liverpool at the round-of-16 stage in the season prior to Mourinho's arrival, and in his second season at the San Siro the former Porto and Chelsea boss led the club to the Treble.

He then left for Madrid, who had finished three points behind Pep Guardiola's Barcelona in La Liga and exited the Champions League to Lyon at the round-of-16 stage under Manuel Pellegrini.
    Manchester United won three trophies in Jose Mourinho's first season but finished only sixth in the Premier League.

Mourinho led Madrid to three successive Champions League semifinals, without making the final, and won the Copa del Rey in his first season as well as securing the club's first La Liga title since 2007-08 in his second campaign.

He highlighted Madrid's poor record in the Champions League in the years prior to his arrival, with the Spanish side exiting at the round-of-16 stage every season between 2004-05 and 2009-10.

"The Real Madrid captain [Sergio Ramos] -- who the other day lifted the [Champions League] cup and is now three-time European club champion -- when I arrived at Real Madrid back in 2010, he had never played the quarterfinals of the Champions League before," he said.

United, meanwhile, had finished in the Premier League's top four only once after Mr. Ferguson's retirement in 2013 and, despite winning the FA Cup under Louis van Gaal just before Mourinho's arrival, they remained a side in transition.

"I arrived at Manchester United and you know how many players were champions? The veterans who are ending their careers and come from Ferguson's era," he said. "The others don't know what it is like to win."

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    OK, so he wins stuff.

Good to know

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    And a delusional nutter.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Isn't a delusional nutter who wins stuff better than a sane & stable manager who wins nothing?

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Not if you don't care that he's an eye-gouging, youth ruining douche nozzle, that will end up doing more harm than good to your team in the long term because it's all about now, no.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    He didn't exactly damage Chelsea or Madrid.
    If he goes crazy & gets fired after he wins the league, I'll take that.

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Hope that he doesn't leave you hovering above relegation when that time comes, though. It's not pleasant.

25. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    fortunately our players are professional enough not to give up on a manager, unlike Hazard, Costa and co

26. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Oh yes, they certainly showed that fighting spirit when they gave up on your last two world-beaters.

Diggy likes this.
  27. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    They didn't give up, they just couldn't play the **** style.

Chelsea's collapse was a combination of player complacency plus a Mourinho meltdown that lost him their confidence.

Maybe the same thing happened to Leicester, we may never know

28. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    but they are playing a **** style?