main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's pretty revolutionary from RonKo. He may be ahead of his time, though.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    FIFA to use FIFA rankings and seed all teams for the 2018 World Cup Draw, restricting that outside of Two UEFA teams, no group can contain more than one team from a Confederation.

Leaving us to hope for a Group of Death such as Brazil, Spain, Italy, Cote d'Ivoire

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    epic you should go to the theatre of screams this weekend. It's about as sure a thing as you can get that you'll not see Manchester Untied for once.

epic likes this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    missed the game, but by the sounds of it it was a very lucky 4-0. take that over the dodgy 0-0s last year though.

Martial has got to start over Rashford for me, too. he's just the better player, simple.

6. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    server is ****

DarthIntegral likes this.
  7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Nice bounce back for Dortmund today. Still odd to see VAR in action. In MLS, it feels like an "oh, you Americans" type thing and kinda fits. Seems odd in Bundesliga. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    That particular use of replay is rather controversial. Ref had disallowed a Dortmund goal die an alleged foul. Replay showed no foul, so the goal was given. The problem is, the ref had blown the whistle before the ball crossed the line, so the goal shouldn't have been allowed. Köln have entered a protest and want the match replayed, which seems a bit silly given the final score of 5-0.

9. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    That particular use of replay is rather controversial. Ref had disallowed a Dortmund goal die an alleged foul. Replay showed no foul, so the goal was given. The problem is, the ref had blown the whistle before the ball crossed the line, so the goal shouldn't have been allowed. Köln have entered a protest and want the match replayed, which seems a bit silly given the final score of 5-0.

Darth_Omega and DarthIntegral like this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I can see why. At 5-0, they really have nothing to lose with a replay as the chances are it won't be 5-0 or worse. Chances are it will at least help their goal difference.

11. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    The controversial goal made it 2-0 just before half, Köln are arguing it changed the match dramatically.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    A nice way to take the focus off the score, though.

yankee8255 likes this.
  13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah. I didn't like that particular use of VAR. There was a second incident in the 2nd half where VAR awarded a penalty to Dortmund. That one I'm fine with. But if the play is blown dead, a goal scored after it was blown dead? I'm not okay with that. Look at Red Cards, look at penalties, look at if a goal that was allowed should be disallowed.

I can't say I agree that it changed the match dramatically. Dortmund were the clear aggressor and rewarded for it, and Köln barely showed any desire to attack or even posses.

14. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Was the keepers actions affected by the whistle? Or did he still attempt to stop it anyway?

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't think the Keeper could have made a play on it, whistle or no. The keeper was bumped by his own man, and lost the ball. This was originally adjudged a foul by a Dortmund player. The ball dropped to a Dortmund player who was clear on goal, who tapped it in after the whistle. They went to VAR, saw that the contact did not involve Dortmund in any way, and cleared the foul, and allowed the goal.

I think had it been called the other way - not a foul, goal scored, and then looked at via VAR and adjudged to have been a foul and disallowed, that would be fine. I just don't like it in the other direction.

I'm a fan of VAR, but I want it incredibly limited. This seems too expansive for my tastes.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That does open a can of worms. How many times do you see the ref blow the whistle, the defending team stop immediately while the attacking team carries on for a few seconds.

If the VAR is going to be used in those circumstances, take the whistle away from the ref.

17. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    for me, it's all about the correct decision being made. seems like in this case, ignoring the referee's whistle, a goal was scored legally in the actual process of play. if that's what the end result was as a result of VAR, then all good.

edit: re Diggy's point, that's why I asked whether the keeper was affected by the whistle. if not, then fine, but if he was, or defenders stopped etc, then i agree you can't let that kind of goal stand. it does make it very subjective though.

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    The rulebook is quite clear on the point, if the whistle blows, play is dead and the goal shouldn't count. The officials clearly blew the call. The question is what the remedy should be.

halibut and Diggy like this.
  19. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Ffs, I hate Tapatalk.

[​IMG]

Diggy , Darth_Omega and DarthIntegral like this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Rooney sentenced to 100 hours of supporting Everton

WAYNE Rooney has been sentenced to 100 gruelling hours of supporting Everton.
    After he was found guilty of drink driving, Judge Mary Fisher said that she felt it was in the public interest for her to impose the strongest possible sentence on the former England striker.
    Judge Fisher said: “If I didn’t want to make an example, I might have just sentenced you to support Stoke City for a match or maybe Fulham for an away game in the North.
    “But as it is, you will have to spend the next 100 hours watching Everton struggle in the Europa League whilst screaming at the TV screen, ‘Why the **** didn’t we buy a new striker?’
    “I think it is fair to say that supporting Everton is the grimmest and most fruitless task known to man.”
    Representing Rooney, Martin Bishop QC added: “It’s a good thing he didn’t crash the car. Then he might have been sentenced to supporting West Ham, which should really come under the bracket of ‘cruel and unusual punishment.’”

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport...00-hours-of-supporting-everton-20170919136040

21. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Köln decided not to file the protest after all.

22. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Köln decided not to file the protest after all.

23. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Ive never seen a wronger post, and Ive read all of Richies.

It wasnt legal. It wasnt an actual process of play. Whistle blown = end of play. No exceptions.

yankee8255 and Diggy like this.
  24. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Ive never seen a wronger post, and Ive read all of Richies.

It wasnt legal. It wasnt an actual process of play. Whistle blown = end of play. No exceptions.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    For once I'm glad of a double post, so I could like it twice, which the first line warrants.

halibut and yankee8255 like this.
  26. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    I get what the rules are, and I'm more just playing devils advocate here, but if the whole point of VAR is to correct bad decisions by referees, and the blowing of the whistle is itself a bad decision after review, and the goal would have stood without the whistle (and no defenders or keepers stopped play, therefore allowing the goal), then it strikes me that VAR could override the whistle.

Judging whether players were suitably put off by the whistle or not is admittedly an issue with this.

27. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013

Hi Ste. The devil has asked that you stop advocating for him.

28. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    fine, I'm now advocating for the three eyed raven instead. such a talented actor cut down in its prime

DarthIntegral and Diggy like this.
  29. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    At this point I can no longer tell if you guys are double posting by mistake or doing it on purpose. :p

yankee8255 likes this.