main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW The Beauty And The Beast -on channel 10

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by DarkSide_Apprentice, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkSide_Apprentice

DarkSide_Apprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2001
    I didn't hear that.

Are you saying that 9 people actually killed themselves because of the droughts?

2. foxy_kenobi

foxy_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    Well, that's what I gathered, they all did it in drought time anyways. I'm sure there were other factors contributing, but from what he said it appeared to be the major contribution.

3. DarkSide_Apprentice

Jun 30, 2001
    It is quite sad however.

And seeing that all the farmers are selling all their sheep and some livestock which they can no longer properly support. [face_plain]

4. DarkSide_Apprentice

Jun 30, 2001
    I don't see anyone current news headlines which stand out apart from the one regarding America and Iraq.

Does anyone suggest a topic to be discussed?

5. IG_88a

IG_88a Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 2002
    Whats the deal with 8:47am headlight tribute tomorrow? I know its in honor of those who died last year, but its not the exact time it happened. Why not request we do something in the evening around the approx time it actually happened and not 12 or more hours before? Where were you when the terrorists hit?
    I was in the city playing pool at the Pavillion hotel off george st, I was waiting for someone to get change for the table, I looked up at the 3 tv's mounted about the pool tables (ch 7 9 & 10 were on) and noticed all three tv's showing the same footage, i thought it was some movie at first, then realised it was real (after seeing the text "live footage WTC") I then asked the bar staff to turn the music off the lights on and volume of the tvs up, and they refused, i then asked the manager who obliged. I didn't get home until 1:45am that morning, and spent another 2 hours infront of the tv, i got to work late the next day, and had taken a tv in.

6. DarkSide_Apprentice

Jun 30, 2001
    Well, I think I woke up in the morning getting ready for a normal day of school, then I went into my parents room, and saw on the television the tragedy that had occurred.

All that day at school everyone crowded around the t.v.'s, discussing what had happened and watching the latest news.

7. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I was woken up in the morning by my Mum for school and it went a little something like this:

MUM SHAKES LJ'S SHOULDER TO WAKE HER UP.

LJ WRIGGLES FURTHER UNDER THE BLANKETS AS SHE DOES EVERY MORNING.

MUM: 4 planes have been hijacked.

LJ PULLS PILLOW OVER HER HEAD.

MUM: Two have been flown into the World Trade Centres.

LJ SITS UP, WIDE AWAKE: What the??!?!

Wonderful way to find out huh? ;) Then at school we watched the coverage of it all morning and the teachers didn't even try to get us to do any work. ;)

I can't believe it's almost a year to the day since it happened.... wow.

LittleJedi

8. Johnny_Walker

Johnny_Walker Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2001
    Yeah it went so fast.

For us, whenever we had a break, Lunch+Recess, some classrooms were crowded all the way. Even in classes think we were watching it nearly all day.

Just how could it have happened??
    *shakes head*

9. foxy_kenobi

foxy_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    I as sleeping and D called me in the morning from work, i was like "huh?" and went back to sleep. Then when i woke up and watched the footage on tv a bit and went to work. I didn't really watch tv much after that, this second time around with all the footage has been more disturbing, it's the first time i've seen the footage of people jumping out windows and heard their messages from answering machines, i'm finding it quite disturbing. I tried not to think about it too much when it happened, but i remember watching planes suspiciously when they flew over near the city.

10. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I had been doing some homework for uni, then I thought I'd go online quickly before I'd go to bed just to check out the forums. I got a message from Shara asking me if I was watching TV and that's when I found out about it all. Didn't get to sleep till around 4am, I didn't feel safe. I felt like waking everyone up and telling them what happened.

But I am SOOO glad Ch10 is airing their regular schedueled programs tomorrow. Who wants to relive 9/11 every year? Fair enough to pay your respects and remember what happened, but exclusive footage and 24hr scheduel live from Ground Zero, it's disgusting.

11. Ayla_Kenobi

Ayla_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    Ben and I were asleep after a long day (we managed to convince the goverment to extend Ben's visa or he would have had to have gone back to the US due to it expiring). We got a phone call from a friend telling us to turn the TV on. We didn't believe him at first and eventually Ben crawled out of bed and turned on the TV. Next minute he was shouting for me to come out into the loungeroom quick as it was all real. We were glued to the TV for 6 hours hoping that none of Ben's relatives were anywhere near that area.

12. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    I was on the JCC at night, saw a thread about it, which had only just been posted. Ran to the TV, didn't see anything, went to bed. Next morning the whole school was talking about it.

13. Pigalek

Pigalek Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2001
    I remember being awake at the time when al;l they knew was something had hit the first building

they just kept playing it over and over

14. IG_88a

May 15, 2002
    Ayla is ben from New York? does he have relo's in New York?

I remember thinking, "hold on my friends in New York, i hope he's safe" i waited 5 weeks for an email or phone call from him, he wasn't near the WTC but his brother who worked on the thirty something floor was there, with his secretaries. they got out, the only injury from that office was a sprained ankle from when my friends brother accidently stepped on one of his assisstants feet, 2 days after geting out.

I give props to Ch. 10 for leaving the simpsons and other regular tv on. If they had shown 911 footage i would of had to resort to Ch.31 community tv

15. Ayla_Kenobi

Ayla_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    Ben is from Missouri, but relatives were on holidays in NY at the time.

16. DarkSide_Apprentice

Jun 30, 2001
    I'm sure that tragedy will be remembered by us all always.

17. DarkSide_Apprentice

Jun 30, 2001
    Does anyone think that America is going to start attacking Iraq any time soon?

18. IG_88a

May 15, 2002
    Within 4 weeks is my estimation, If Iraq has nothing to hide, why stop weapons inspectors going in? obviously (and this is my opinion based on facts presented to me) they have something to hide. I won't wish for war to start, but it looks inevitable at the moment.
    I still remember waking up on holidays and seeing the gulf war on tv. geez thats like 12 years ago now.

19. DarkSide_Apprentice

Jun 30, 2001
    yeah, but It wouldn't be good to have a full-on war, but who knows...

Sadam Hussain has been around for a while, and finally, some action is going ahead.

20. DarkSide_Apprentice

Jun 30, 2001
    Did any of you guys see "60 minutes" on Sunday, about Iraq and Saddam?

21. Pigalek

Pigalek Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2001
    No what happened?

22. DarkSide_Apprentice

Jun 30, 2001
    There was all this stuff about Saddam Hussain.

About him thinking that he is the most powerful and not being scared of anyone.
    It also included how he, and his people, move their weapons and equipment from place to place, not allowing inspectors to actually find anything.

It contained stuff about Saddam having a double, except that he has a tattoo below his thumb, and the double hasn't. They looked quite alike too...

23. DarkSide_Apprentice

Jun 30, 2001
    What do we have to talk about now?

24. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    You're the thread's author, you come up with a topic! :p

25. DarkSide_Apprentice

Jun 30, 2001
    great