main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The beginnings of the PT films...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mynameismyown, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    who else thought the rest of the prequels should have been more like the beginning of rots? action adventure and so forth, not just a couple sequences like in tpm and aotc? also some likeable interplay between the leads. i always think about it as a welcome relief from the rest of the films

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah ROTS definitely has a better start than the other prequels.

I also like the TPM start, quite a lot of action and the first time we see 2 jedi's really going to town with their sabers :cool:
    The AOTC start is dramatic but is way too short, after the explosion it's just down to boring politics before anything good happens again :eek: [face_tired]

3. Blu-Bladed-Jedi

Blu-Bladed-Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    The start of ROTS was one of the coolest scenes in the entire movie...TPM had a cool beginning as well

4. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    The entire opening shot of ROTS is brilliant.. the drums, the speeding starfighters and that descent into the battle.. amazing. Left me in awe. Its the best beginning in the entire saga.

5. dark_jedi_invader

dark_jedi_invader Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2005
    TPM is the first movie, so the movie needs a more quiet beggining.

AOTC is the one that needs a more kind of adventure beggining like this:

obi-wan and anakin are in a distant planet in combat with rebels (irony), then they win the battle...

obi-wan(to anakin): tomorrow we are going home.

anakin(responds): i have no home, master.

obi-wan: you still have those dreams?

anakin: there are like responsability... you cant avoid them.

obi-wan: you need to rest, anakin.

anakin: yes, master, i will try.

then we past to the chanciller office in the day, with the jedi master, its like the one already in the movie.

palpatine: i will not let they break this republic in pieces.

mace: we cant be soldiers for the republic, we are only peace keepers.

yoda puts a concerning face.

palpatine: what is it, master yoda?

yoda: if they attack this planet, defend we must, but if create a great army, i fear this republic in great peril is.

palpatine: this subject tomorrow will be finished with the arrival of senator amidala, until then i suggest to clear our points of view for a best choice.

mace: then tomorrow we will see the senate choice.

the jedi leaves and palpatine stay alone. palpatine puts a worry face.

palpatine: this has become more complicated.

we are back in the planet of obi-wan and anakin mission.

anakin is like in the scene with padme and the mothers dream, obi-wan arrives.

obi-wan: again the same dream?

anakin: no, its a different.

obi-wan: how?

anakin: its padme, he is in her ship, then it explodes and i wake up.

a native come.

native: sir, you have a message from mace windu.....

6. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    i loved the start of rots soooooooooo much! that star destroyer with the bass drums beats, oooohhh god gave me chills when i saw the film for the first time. then again, most of the movie gave me chills the first time...

7. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    RotS had a pretty cool beginning to it, and as many people have already stated so did TPM. There was no real lack of action in the beginning so I don't see what is wrong with that. I did not mind the start to AotC either, it worked for me.

As for the political stuff, I liked that a lot, it shows how Palpatine worked his way into the office of Chancellor, and ultimately became the Emperor.

The PT is telling more of a story than just Anakin turning to the dark side and the clone wars, it is also a story about how Palpatine undermined the political system of the Old Republic. Without the political stuff I feel that the PT would have been incomplete, and honestly it shows us the back story of why the Senate was disbanded in ANH, and why the Rebellion was started in the first place.

8. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Anyone feel that Revenges' intro was influenced by Peter Jacksons style? A long roving shot before it cuts away. And quite different from what Lucas has done previously. :)

9. D_Tiburon

D_Tiburon Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2005
    I always felt they should have done the origins of the clone war in the first movie then took ROTS and stretched it into the final two movies. ROTS was the only one of the trilogy that very nearly captured the magic of the OT.

10. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    That pretty much sums up my take as well. I'm a big fan of the TPM opening, they days when Jedi were the baddest of the bad. But the AOTC opening could have stood a little more "kick." I would've liked to have seen Ani and Obi off on some mission doing their thing, then you can have the whole Padme/political thing.

11. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I think the opening of Attack of the Clones worked fine. It really doesn't take that long for the Coruscant Chase to begin. Besides that, not every film needs a flash-bang/ultra action packed opening. The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi didn't.

12. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    I think every Star Wars movie should start out with some kind of action.

13. JediImprov

JediImprov Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    No, it reminds me of A NEW HOPE:

ANH: Small ship going by on screen being chase by huge ship.

ROTS: Following two ships going by a ship in battle,then past the ship a huge war.

14. Jedi_Master_Eric

Jedi_Master_Eric Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 2005
    Maybe zero people will agree with me on this. But, I feel that the start of AOTC should have been more centered around Jango Fett. Maybe show the Naboo ship fly past upper camera, followed a few seconds later by the Slave 1 in the distance. Maybe then show communication between Jango and Dooku, or even Jango and Sidious, where Jango says something like, "I have tracked Senator Amidala...she will not be alive to reach the Senate." or something like that. This would mean the elimination of Zam in the beginning of the film, but I think it would work better. It would be reminiscant of Boba pursuing the MF in ESB.

In having Jango stealthily blow up the Naboo starship, he could then have a mention in the opening scrawl: "Senator Amidala is returning to Coruscant to vote on the creation of the ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC, unaware that the ambitious Bounty Hunter Jango Fett, is in hot pursuit to destroy her..."

Any thoughts?

15. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    ^ NO. That would take away from the complete surprise that the explosion gave. I had no idea that was gonna happen and it blew me away, i was in shock

16. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Yeah that would ruin it.
    I JUMPED when it happened in theaters, all calm and queit then the biggest boom ever.

17. Dark_Jawa_Knight

Dark_Jawa_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2005
    The ROTS beginning was no doubt the best of the prequels. However did anyone notice that when a Techno Union freighter was destroyed it sent a kitchen sink sprialing into a Star Destroyer?

18. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I don't think the PT should have been an OT mirror in regards to action and adventure. The political elements were some of the best parts of the PT. We needed more of that, although it did need to be driven by action.

AOTC is what I think the whole PT should be like. Now, this is an ironic statement for me to make since I can't stand AOTC. I should clarify, my distaste for AOTC is in delivery (acting, dialogue, directing, editing and Yoda with a lightsaber -- it's just wrong). Basically, the plot and direction were good for the most part.

19. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Alot of people dont like the political aspects of the PT, which I disagree with, and I thought they were great which is why I am satisfied with the way AOTC starts out. I like seeing the Jedi and Chancoller talking, kind of erie too after seeing ROTS and knowing that same room is where Windu dies, and Anakin falls.

20. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    :eek:

Ok I agree about the lame dialogue and ONLY Anakin and Padmes acting, the rest was pretty good, especially Ewan's and Morrisons, the directing was good, the editing I can't see whats so bad about it. And how could you not like Yoda with a saber! :eek::eek::eek:

21. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    TPM start was pretty dramatic and action filled imo. It slows down once we get to Jar Jar but the boarding of the ship and droid fighting were very cool imo. RotS had a good opening, I wish the space battle was a little more clear (like who were the good guys, who are the bad guys and what are they @&^# shooting at haha). AotC had a great opening with the spaceship blowup (I was really shocked) but it did come to a grinding halt right after. Some more action would have been better but it was good enough until we got to Zam.

22. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I'll remember this day, Stryphe. ;)

I still think AOTC has the weakest beginning.

The explosion was pretty cool, and I loved the pan up from the crawl. But I might have basically started the film in Padme's apartment, having changed the opening crawl a bit to explain Padme's life was in danger.

23. JS2

JS2 Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    there all good:)

from

JS2

24. dvader234

dvader234 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2005
    I never noticed until I saw ROTS that there is a Star Destroyer in every opening shot in the OT. It's pretty cool that Lucas wanted to do the same for the beginning of ROTS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.