main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Ben Skywalker Appreciation Party

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Suzuki_Akira, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    I kinda wanted to see him as Jacen's Padawan. To see him reach a new awareness of the Force.

And maybe pull a Traitor. :p

2. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Another vote for Corran. Luke should train Valin and Corran Ben. I think Valin should make a good knight and I hope he gets a large role along with Ben.

not as in food and fun, as in Republican and Democrat

Does this mean we can't bring mountain dew and cheetos? And that we can't have fun or music?

3. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Of course not. I was merely defining the context of the word party. *passes out Emelie's food* Wow, on our second page already and it's only been a few hours? We'll be elgible for the Senate in no time! :p

4. LordJoda-181

LordJoda-181 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2004
    What are the eligiblities?

5. whats-her-face

whats-her-face Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2004
    Thanks for the invite, Suzuki_Akira. Count me in!

Honestly, I don't know how I expect him to turn out. Obviously he has a lot to live up to and a lot that is expected of him, and that is definately going to shape who he becomes. He may be like Anakin, trying to live up to an impossible standard. He could get so frustrated with his parents and the galaxy that he goes dark. I definately have to check out some of those Ben fanfics- it'd be great to see how other people picture him.

6. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Well, Benny-boy is going to come into the fic in my sig (and eventually become appreciated). If the link doesn't work, just copy and paste into the addy bar.

7. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Umm, isn't hard to appreciate a character who has yet to form a canon coherent thought?

But yeah. I'm hoping for a few things:

A. As part of the ongoing peace between Kyp and Luke, Kyp trains Ben.
    B. He saves Luke, Leia, or Mara with a lightsaber at a young age (a la Jacen and Jaina).
    C. Isn't like Jacen, e.g. isn't a delusional pacifistic Dark Sider seduced by a chicken.
    D. He thwarts an assassination attempt on himself before age 15.

8. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    whoo! *wanders in to thread*

I think I agree with pretty much everyone else. 0.o;

I did start a Ben fic, but I don't like the style I was writing it in, and there are a few things I need to change about the plot overall...
    SO it's on hiatus. heh.

but great thread. :p

9. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    LordJoda:

Basically the elgibilities are 250 posts and adherence to the TOS.

I still maintain that Jacen should be the teacher of Ben. Ben already has two of the greatest fighters in the universe as his teacher-an alternate view on the Force would make him so much more well rounded. But I agree that Corran also would be a good teacher for Ben....but I can't see Mara allowing Kyp to train her son.

10. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    For two Jedi there is a lot of dislike between Kyp and Mara.

Sorry I don't have much to offer here besides junk food. My fan fic has nothing to do with Ben. In fact it has little to do with any of the canon characters.

11. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    That's okay! You're still great for discussion. Hmm...perhaps we need an official topic.

12. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    lol, yes, I can't see Mara letting Kyp teach Ben either...
    Kyp wouldn't want to anyway. :p He's had enough of little kids to last a lifetime, those Solos are terrors...

I would add my support to Jacen, yes... I can see Jacen teaching Ben.
    Don't know about Corran. Never much liked Corran. ^^;

13. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Honestly, I don't know how I expect him to turn out. Obviously he has a lot to live up to and a lot that is expected of him, and that is definately going to shape who he becomes. He may be like Anakin, trying to live up to an impossible standard. He could get so frustrated with his parents and the galaxy that he goes dark. I definately have to check out some of those Ben fanfics- it'd be great to see how other people picture him.

Yeah...I've hypothesized that Ben just might be driven to the dark. Ben's life should be trying.

djcati: I think Corran would be okay, but I'm glad you agree with my assessment of Jacen.

14. Jaina313

Jaina313 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    I'm in.

I also agree that Jacen would be a very interesting mentor. But seeing as how most apprentices these days usually become what their masters aren't, I would worry that he would turn either very much into Kyp or into Luke. Luke would be great, but it's also hard seeing a kid always agreeing with the way his father is... though many of us turn into our parents if we haven't been scarred by experiences with them.

Maybe if Jaina ever gets off of her high horse and stops being an emotional rollercoaster, she would be good- if indeed he inherits master piloting abilities, it would be a good match.

Best case scenario for me, it would be someone we haven't heard too much about, so that we can have a new character to develop.

15. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Wow, that's an opportunity I hadn't thought of. If Jaina did become stable enough to be a master, she'd be great for Ben! The Sword of the Jedi teaching the Torch of the Jedi!

16. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    indeed, indeed....
    Jaina, eh? For some reason, I can picture her and Ben getting into a lot of arguments, but in a good way...?
    0.o;
    Jaina would be a pretty good teacher for him though, huh...

Ack, Ben has so much ahead of him... so many different possible paths... ^^

17. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    if Denning screws up Ben like the NJO (not counting traitor) screwed up Jacen ill... [face_worried] please dont do it!

18. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Hey thank for the invite Suzuki. Would have been her earlier but.... things got in the way.

Anyway, I don't have a fic on the boards yet but soon I'll have one with Ben being the star. And I see him as being alot like his father, idealistic, kind, and caring but the naive farmboy his father was isn't what Ben is going to be. His mother'll see to that. And I think that Mara'll have taught him how to fight without the Force and a lightsaber so his hand-to-hand will be on par with hers.

For a master, Jaina would be a good choice. Once she settles as would Jacen. If Anakin were alive he would probably be the best. Corran, hmm, I think maybe, at least it will give Ben a new perspective on doing things without TK. Tahiri might be good as soon as she settles things in her life.

Kyp, I could see declining. He'd have his hands full with Jaina and Jag's kids :p

19. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I agree with you, J_M, in that Ben likely won't be as nieve as his father was, simply because he won't have the advantage of the simple quiet upbringing his father had. However, I really can't see Ben becoming bitter. I think he'll be tremendously talented.

I never considered having Tahiri for a master. She is, like Ben's father, from Tatooine and that's a plus. Also she knows what its like to have inner demons; she could help him work through the fact that he's a descendent of Darth Vader.

20. Alpha-synth

Alpha-synth Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2004
    Thank you for the invite S_A.

As to my interpretation of Ben's character, I think that he might not become a Jedi, not straight away certainly.

The reason for that is because him being a Jedi is something that'll have been 'understood' for some time, and Ben won't really be sure if that's what he wants, or what he's being pressured into.

Just my 2 cents.

21. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    That's exactly the way I see it. He'll be fine with it early on, but later he'll come to resent the pressure, and being forced into the Jedi.

22. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    I really don't think he'll come to resent the Jedi. His parents, perhaps, but not the Jedi themselves and not their ways. If nothing else, his connection to the force and exposure to it will make leaving training nearly impossible. He won't want to.

23. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    if Denning screws up Ben like the NJO (not counting traitor) screwed up Jacen ill...

How old will Ben be in the Denning trilogy? I trust Denning he did a good job with SbS and he got Luke of the pacifist thing.

24. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    Actually, I can see that.
    He'll grow up with the Jedi, and being Force sensitive, so much a part of his life that he'll wonder whether it could be different, and he'll want to try that out.
    So he might go off and not be a Jedi for a while, maybe around his teenage years...
    But I think he'll accept it in the end, he'll realise that sure, being a Jedi is what's expected of him, but it's not all uniform and the same. He'll be different to how people expect, simply because it's what they expect... if that makes sense.
    ne?

all just theories, of course. :p

EDIT: If the trilogy's set 5 years after TUF, then Ben will be 7 or 8. Old enough for some personality to have developed... ^^

25. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    ...djcati, so YOU were the one who stole my fanfic outline! :p But what I was saying earlier is that he'd resent the pressure, and so leave the Jedi to try and get some perspective. Personally I don't think he could stay away from the Jedi that long, but that's just me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.