main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Ben Skywalker Appreciation Party

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Suzuki_Akira, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    I remember that line. Little brat. But, you have to admit, Jacen wised up.

2. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    High Five! 5 pages in in less than 4 days! Halfway to having represenation I think!

Actually, Jacen still is like that, in some ways. He's still a dumb punk.

Plus, can you imagine a DLotS with Noghri training? Delusional Dark Sider + Noghri = Unstoppable! :cool:

3. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Do you mean in terms of hand to hand combat abilities? That would be awesome...

My point on Jacen still stands. He grew out of his mindframe on the Force.

4. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    You know, Jaina might have paid attention. That would make her that much more qualified to be the "Sword of the Jedi."

And yes, Jacen grew out of his mindframe. Whether that's a good or bad thing is debatable, but he certainly thinks differently.

Next question: Who do you think Ben will resemble most: Kyp, Luke, Mara, Corran, Anakin, Anakin, Jaina, or Jacen?

5. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I'm caught between Anakin and Luke Skywalker...

6. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    Two Anakins. Which one?

I'll have to go with a mix of Kyp and Anakin Solo, myself.

7. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    If it were solo I would have said Anakin Solo and Luke Skywalker, not Anakin and Luke Skywalker.

8. Jaina313

Jaina313 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    I don't have any clue. Ideally for me, it would be Jaina and Luke. But Anakin Solo would be respectable as well.

9. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I still want him to be Luke Skywalker in personality and ANakin Skywalker in drive...just without trying to kill every Jedi!

10. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    He's a mix of Anakin Skywalker and Luke, with a pinch of Mara thrown in.

In my view, that is.

11. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    Here's what I'm thinking (what I want):

Rebelliousness and decisiveness of Kyp.
    The strength and charisma of Luke.
    Teh uber-pwnage of Kyle Katarn.
    Nothing from Jacen.
    Combat skills of Luke, Anakin O, and Mara.

What's more likely to happen:

Strength, charisma, and morality from Luke.
    Mara gives the combat and the (edits comment that probably would start a flame war)

Just kidding.

He should get combat and flare from Mara, and everything from Luke.

12. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I gotta go with Erela. He should have Mara's fire, and her hand to hand skills, but pure fighting that probably goes to Luke or Anakin. I think that Ben will eventually become the figurehead of the Jedi, but not the overt leader. After all, it isn't a dynasty...

Some people like to think of Luke eventually retiring from the order and only advising, but I don't think he will. I do think, however, that as time goes on that he'll absolve responsibilities to the emerging leader. And I have just the idea for the top mission handling Jedi...

13. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    the emerging leader.

Well, who are good (or at least worthy of being considered) candidates, ages in parentheses:

Kyp. (37, about)
    Corran. (about 50)
    Kam/Tionne. (50 or older)
    Jacen in a while (when he's say 35). (21)
    Kyle Katarn. (about 50)
    Saba Sebatyne. (unknown, I'm assuming about Kyp's age.)

So, if something happens to Luke (49) in the next 5-8 years, he'd probably turn it over to one of the 50-year olds, I'd guess Kam, who's liked by all. However, he could give it to Kyle or Kyp, less liked but more respected by Luke. After Luke and the rest are about 60, I'd expect that they'd turn leadership over to Kyp (if he's become a tad more conservative) or Saba (a tad more active maybe). But given feelings Luke has, I'm afraid that once Jacen hits middle age, we're doomed to a Sithy demise... [face_plain]

Please, feel free to pick apart my conjecture though. ;)

14. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I think that there shouldn't be any one leader. It should be an oligarchy--that way, any leadership will be the natural result of exhibiting leadership qualities. Sorry, PF, but that may just become Jacen if Luke steps down...

15. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    It's not an oligarchy, it's anarchy, with a few suggestions given by the aristocracy.

ol·i·gar·chy

Government by a few, especially by a small faction of persons or families.
    Those making up such a government.
    A state governed by a few persons.

(dictionary.com)

It's not an oligarchy (rule by a few). It should be an aristocracy (rule by the best).

Hopefully, we can arrange an "accident" for Jacen to keep some competent leadership at the top. [face_devil] :p

And yeah, I realize that it's either going to wind up with your solution or my solution (no middle ground), depending on what Denning does. Realistically, any novels with Ben as as major character would have someone else in charge, and unfortunately it's unlikely to be anybody besides Luke and Jacen.

Please, let Jacen be exposed as a Sith and be expelled/die in Denning's trilogy! [face_praying]

16. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Who said our views were different? Rule of the best, in Jedi numbers, is itself an oligarchy. The Jedi Council, back again(between High Council sessions). No overt leader, all decisions are made through group. Luke should still lead at the time of the Denning trilogy, however. I can't see any reason for him not to.

17. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    Sorry, I misinterpreted you.

You're right, Luke should be leading in the Denning trilogy. However, after that, it definitely (IMO) should not be Jacen. The Order shouldn't be lead by an introspective delusional quasi-pacifist, and if it should be lead by an introspective quasi-pacifist, it should be Streen, not Jacen.

18. -Erela-

Jun 9, 2004
    This might not have any affect for a long time, but I think that Ben is going to be somebody very dedicated to history. If he's studied a lot of Old Republic, and Jedi past, he might be likely to want to set up another Jedi Council.

As I said, this wouldn't happen for awhile.

In the meantime, I think Luke's too smart to give leadership to somebody inadequete.

19. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    *seconds above sentence*

Luke won't leave until someone else is ready to lead and not darn well until.

I see Ben wanting to do things his own way. I don't think he'll be too gung ho on history.

20. -Erela-

Jun 9, 2004
    I think he'll be very interested in learning about what worked in history and what didn't work. Basically, the Jedi Council did. I mean, when TPM starts it's the beginning of its downfall, but just because the Roman Empire eventually fell doesn't mean it wasn't effecive for ages.

There's that saying, if we forget history we're condemned to repeat it. Basically, I think Ben operates along that line. He's interested in history so he can use the good things and make sure the bad ones don't happen again.

21. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I don't know...I think Ben will be too idealistic to be able to deal with the OJO. I can see Ben wanting to vigorously protect the innocent and just as vigorously punish the evil. I think he'll be so much as an extremist that he'll leave the Jedi to do so, thinking that they are too merciful. But being like Kyp? No, I don't think so. Ben won't be willing to do anything underhanded that isn't necessary, nor would he be willing to seek out evil for it's own sake. I think he'll go where there is a need and assuage it.

22. -Erela-

Jun 9, 2004
    I think that's the main point of contention here... whether or not Ben will stick with the Jedi, or to what extent, at least.

In my view, he'll remain dedicated. He might have a teenage phase of disillusionment, but I think by the time he's 18 or 20 he'll have come back. He'll be a natural leader, and he'll realize that he's needed by the Jedi. He's the only Skywalker in his generation that isn't either dead or just screwed up, so unless a sibling comes along he'll see that his place is as a leader among the Jedi.

23. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I think he'll leave somewhere in the teenage years, probably around his beginning 20's or 18-19. Try to find himself out in the world, with his own form of justice.

24. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    if it should be lead by an introspective quasi-pacifist, it should be Streen, not Jacen.

off-topic a second, but exactly how old is Streen now?
    He was in his old age back in the JAT, wasn't he? Now, twenty years later, he's still running around? He's gotta be at least as old as Pellaeon, surely, and while Pellaeon is still t3h respect, Streen's never been a leader.

But, IMO, the Jedi shouldn't have a leader as such, just the council. Council's fine, right? Having one person in charge and making the decisions for everyone sounds very much like a dictatorship, eh?

25. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I say leadership by council. Inevitably, someone will emerge as a de facto leader much like Yoda or Windu, but won't have any more power than anyone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.