main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Bendu

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My best guess is that he became one with the force.

2. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    To me, the Bendu felt like the male version of Talzin. They both wanted to remain neutral, and be left alone by outsiders. They both have powers outside the abilities of other Force users, including the power to escape the physical realm. I believe Bendu became one with the Force when angered, and was forced back into the physical realm when fired upon. I feel it's likely he slipped away before Thrawn "killed" him, just as Talzin once did when Battle Droids were firing at her. It will be interesting to see if the Bendu must now absorb Force energy in order to manifest again...

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well I mean Bendu was natural within the force while Tenzin is a darksider

4. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I am not sure that we will see Bendu ''in the flesh'' again but I doubt this is the last we've seen of his presence. Having someone (or something) that is a true wild card could make things interesting. Bendu has very good reasons to work against both Imperials AND Rebels now and he's obviously extremely powerful. His last words to Thrawn make me think whatever happens to the Grand Admiral, the Bendu is going to be involved one way or another.

5. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Was she? Both can be interpreted differently. Bendu seemed to turn to the dark side himself briefly...

6. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I think this is the last time we will see the Bendu -- at least in this series. I do believe we will hear him discussed -- but we never saw the Ones again, we never saw the Priestesses again -- nor was there any need to see any of them.

The Bendu served his purpose, for now. If anything -- I think we might here of any or all of the above in TLJ or Episode IX from Snoke or Luke or Yoda [assuming he appears]

Once Rebels Season 4 begins -- there will be plenty of other story elements and characters to focus on. The Bendu seems to have resided on Attallon -- and liked it that way. Why would he leave in any form? The EU had many examples of Force Beings tied to a location or planet.

I'd love to see the Emperor in Season 4 -- and Thrawn speaking to him about his encounter with the Bendu. It would be one of scant examples of the Emperor actually discussing / acknowledging the larger aspects of the Force -- which in the NU Canon are something we are now well aware of his interest in.

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    If Bendu really died (not sure if this is confirmed) he may appear as a Force Ghost for Kanan, but really he really serves no purpose in the story other than adviser in mystical Force things maybe.

8. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001

I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing Force Ghosts anytime soon. That's a can of worms...

And if the Star Wars Databank is canon -- The Bendu is not dead. But is out there somewhere -- a la Ahgra's statement about the Mystic in The Dark Crystal.
    Aughra: Where is he?
    Jen: He's dead.
    Aughra: Could be anywhere, then.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  9. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I dunno- TCW had all that Mortis stuff and we already saw ghosts on Dathomir, not actual force ghosts though but apparitions nevertheless.

10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think if Bendu has any role beyond Season 3, it will be to troll Thrawn and Kanan through the force. Kanan disturbed Bendu's home and brought the Imperials there, and well, Thrawn killed him.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    What happened with Bendu was one of the most surprising moments in this finale. I never expected Bendu to get so angry. For a Jedi, Kanan still has a lot to learn how to connect to others.

Bendu helped Kanan to restore his vision and connection to the Force.
    He helped Kanan and Ezra to mend the rift between Master and Padawan.

In both situations Bendu never asked for anything in return. He allowed the rebels to stay on his world and now Kanan not only comes back to ask for another favor but even manages to insult him? Kanan was out of line in this situation, I understand his frustration but he handled it the wrong way.

What Kanan possibly could have done was saying he respected Bendu's decision, to apologize for the trouble they've brought to his world, thanking him for his help, thanking him for allowing them to stay on his world and saying goodbye. Acting humble and respectful might actually have motivated Bendu to help in the end.

I really liked Bendu as a character. His outburst in the finale only added more depth to his character for me personally.

Ithorians, episodenone and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    He pulled an Obi-Wan, he too is a Master of Trolling.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    A hint of Bendu being alive:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/03/...e-and-more-of-season-3s-big-storylines?page=4

GN: One thing we talked about last year was as the timeline gets closer to A New Hope, it becomes more important to take out certain elements so people don't ask, “Where were these guys in the original trilogy?” You killed Maul, and Bendu had an Obi-Wan vanishing moment, though it's not clear if that's temporary or not. For you, is Bendu still out there, in the original trilogy era, in a physical form or was the idea that he couldn't be a resource anyone could call upon?
    Filoni: I think he’s there. I think with things like Bendu, it’s a question of whether they want to be seen or not. Tom Baker in real life is tricky that way. He’s magical in his own right. And that’s why the character works so well is because Tom makes that kind of magic so believable. I think there’s so many things in the galaxy happening during the original trilogy that are broader than we know and our eyes are so directed, specifically on Luke, but that doesn’t mean in this incredible galaxy that George created that there weren’t amazing stories happening all the time, everywhere, and weird creatures that were connected to the force. The Force is just life itself - it’s existence. That’s not going to go away. The Emperor’s plan is just to dominate and control this existence.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I hope he's dead and a force ghost or something.

15. JawaDog

JawaDog Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 2, 2016
    I think The Bendu was a physical manifestation of the Force. He isn't alive or dead but a way that the force communicated with Kanan. His purpose was to further show that the Force is so much more than Jedi or Sith. I love how he condescendingly calls Kanan "Kaanan Jarrus Jedi Knight". It's analogous to when Han calls Finn "Big Deal" in TFA. The story group is doing everything it can to help fans open their minds to the Force and not just focus on the Jedi and Sith.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Why would some laser fire take him down then?

17. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    I think that's a very positive aspect of both CW and Rebels, the overall expansion and depth of mystery these series have added to the understanding of the Force.

JawaDog likes this.
  18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    There's no way Bendu is dead. He literally was already gone when Thrawn shot at him.

It's like how the Mortis Ones died in that story - I don't think they really died - I think it was just the Father (aka the will of the Force) trying to teach Anakin a lesson. Since the dark side, light side, and the concept of the balance of the Force are still around in the ST (Knights of Ren = dark side, Jedi = light side, Anakin put the Force in balance in ROTJ and that hasn't changed), those three entities aren't dead otherwise those aspects of the Force would have literally disappeared. Remember Filoni said the episode basically took place in the tree on Dagobah.

The point I'm trying to make here is that similarly to how the light side, dark side, and the will of the Force can't be killed, neither can the grey side of the Force, which is what Bendu is.

episodenone likes this.
  19. JawaDog

JawaDog Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 2, 2016
    I agree, and you can hear him laughing after Thrawn shoots. If he's not the embodiment of the Force itself, he is a Force Wielder of a much higher level than our feeble Jedi and Sith who think they are the masters. Again, the story group is working hard to educate right now. StarWars just tweeted an interesting tweet about Snoke, making the point that he is a "Force Wielder". They have introduced a lot of new Force concepts lately (Snoke, The Whills, Bendu, Inquisitors, Maz, etc.). I think the big payoff will be when we learn what Luke has learned while on the island.

episodenone and Iron_lord like this.
  20. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Bendu Force lightning is so much more powerful than Palpatine pathetic Force lightning.

JawaDog likes this.
  21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Was interesting, but I don't think it was Force lightning per say, least in the conventional Dark Sider sense. He created a Force storm which he manifested in the clouds and atmosphere, the bolts seemed often inaccurate and had took time like more normal lightning as he needed the charge the clouds. I think what he did was more along the lines of telekinetically manipulating the nearby atmospheric conditions to whip the weather around him into a frenzy. In the EU, the Nightsisters were particular gifted in this ability and technique. But I would imagine Bendu may indeed know how to use conventional Force lightning possibly, but his transformation into a violent storm and not directly striking down Kanan, may leave him vulnerable and not like a Sith or Nightsister. Same thing when confronted with Thrawn he did not or could not in that form and time, strike him down with the Force, lightning or otherwise, he could only vanish.

Him falling from the sky, kinda reminded me of the dragon from Dragonslayer, when it falls to its death.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. mihaitzateo

Oct 5, 2015
    It was Force lightning .
    We only see Sith Lords doing Force lightning from a very close distance, a few meters.
    If Darth Sidious could have done Force lightning from 30 meters away, he would not need to come 3 meters or more close to Luke, when he does Force lightning.
    So we do not even know how imprecise and weak Darth Sidious Force Lightning would have been if he would attempt to do it against someone located 100 meters away.

Bendu is doing a very strong Force lightning and from a very long distance and it has the power to destroy even very huge machines.
    This is Canon now, since Rebels and episodes I - VII and Rogue One are Canon and not other writings.
    Normal lightning is not going to destroy metal objects, so that was not normal lightning, but a very strong Force lightning.

JawaDog likes this.
  23. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    It reminded me of Talzin once again, as if Bendu were drawing from the planet to produce the lightning, as Talzin did with spirit ichor. She was also able to project it further, like the Bendu.

The more its analyzed, the more I doubt Bendu is the embodiment of the Force, because he killed beings on both sides of the conflict. I don't feel any embodiment would willfully kill out of anger.

24. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001

Yes -- what we saw is Canon. But your analysis of what we saw is not proven out by a Canon source at this time.

25. mihaitzateo

Oct 5, 2015
    If Bendu would have just stood hidden in the storm he could have destroyed all Thrawn forces.
    He is extremely powerful with the Force but not extremely wise.