The Bespin Cafe - The Han/Leia Fanfic Index - We've Moved to Version 2.0!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by HanLeiaFanficGuru, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Golden_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with that.

Sometimes you need it to turn ugly or mushy! ;) But I see it like a ball play, it must go back and forth, flow in some way, and they both must been having fun with it to be true banter.
  2. Liesl Jedi Master

star 4
    CoPL...whenever I pick up my copy of the book, I start laughing, just not in a good way.

I definitely like reading AU. The different storylines that fanfic authors create are often, I find, better than a lot of SW profic out there.
  3. PonyTricks Jedi Master

star 4

Yes, I hate COPL! (except for the hardback cover.... that is very nice! :p )

I try not to turn their banter into a huge blowup when I write my stories. I don't think that is a sign of love at all. And I really, really don't like it when Leia hauls off and slugs Han across the face, or if Han forces himself on Leia. I just think that's soooo out of character for her (and him), unless she's gone darkside. I don't think I've ever written a story where Leia slaps Han, and if I have, let me know. I will go change it! LOL!

Mary Sue
  4. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Well, the author of COPL is now here at my uni. Maybe I should avoid printing out the fanmail here...
  5. PonyTricks Jedi Master

star 4
    Or maybe you could take his class, and put the "Jay Leno" question to him ..."What WERE you thinking?" [face_laugh]

Tell him H/L fans will forgive him if he rewrites the book.. (the ultimate 'do-over') Oh. And Fabio must die! [face_beatup]
  6. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    LOL, but Fabio fathered Tenel Ka and she's worthwhile. I'm definitely going to his workshop tomorrow just to see what he says.
  7. Golden_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Gah! So far this Isolder guy is far more likeable than H&L together! Go tell the "author" that for me, Ish, please. Han asking Threepio for council? Please! I would have thrown the book against the wall if it weren't inside my computer.
  8. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Well, you see, Isolder is the only one actually doing something in-character... Which is annoying as Sith!
  9. PonyTricks Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL! All I can picture when I think of Isoldork is Fabio, running in slow motion through a field of wildflowers, his long locks floating in the breeze, and butterflies and bluebirds fluttering around his head! [face_laugh]

"Hey, look at me... I'm Sandra Dee... opps... I mean I'm I-so-dork...."
  10. IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4

I have that image too, yet for me a blaster bolt comes out of no where hitting him square in the chest. Camera turns to find Han (drenched in sweat [face_love] ) and slowly holstering his weapon before giving that lopsided grin. "Nerheard that!"
  11. PonyTricks Jedi Master

star 4
    Here is a link to a review of COPL that is GREAT! It sums up my feelings toward this 'book' wonderfully!

I hope the linky works! ;)

http://www.galaxyfaraway.com/Books/court.html
  12. Golden_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    It worked, and it's soooo right. :_|
  13. IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4

Wow that really does sum it up :(

Han and Leia's wedding must be one of the highest things re-written in fan fic-dom, right? It'd be up there at least.
  14. Golden_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, Irish, now I understan why that period is so often turned into AU. I was thinking while reading, Even I can do this better! [face_blush] :p
  15. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I was in rooms with Dave Wolverton frequently yesterday and the only thing I got the guts to say was when we were in a discussion of villains and people were calling out villains. I, on the first row, called out, "Isolder!" It made him laugh.
  16. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Or like the real life Fabio, getting smacked in the face by a bird while riding a speeder or something. :p

But yea, I agree with the majority - CoPL was not the best book I've read. It was alright, but it could've been more focused on you know, their courtship. Instead we get a single page at the end of their wedding and it's through Luke's POV. [face_frustrated]
  17. Aiel Jedi Master

star 4
    I was more annoyed by the fact that Luke turned up late in CoPL! He should have given his sister away, :mad:!!! And the fact you don't get to see Leia's wedding dress in full. [Only the top if you have the hardcover.]

A graphic novel pretty please Dark Horse? [face_batting]

And a total rewrite of the story in the same tone of Union while your at it please!
  18. Golden_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    The fact that they never mentioned Leia's true parentage not even once in the whole novel annoyed me a lot too.
  19. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I know! You have to wonder how much the Hapans knew. I wrote Who Gives This just because I was pissed off at Wolverton's lack of a wedding.
  20. PonyTricks Jedi Master

star 4
    *sighs* The story had so much potential, and the author blew it in so many ways. I didn't even hate the fact Leia was offered Fabio by the Hapans, I just hated her reaction, and Han's reaction, and Luke's reaction. That's what made the book so terrible.

I could see Leia contemplating giving up the man she loved for the good of the New Republic, but not having Fabio kiss her and Leia promptly 'forgets all about Han'! :mad:

I could not see Han having so little pride that he'd kidnap Leia. Did the author even see Return of the Jedi? (and don't get me started on Han the Heroic Worm Hunter!) :mad:

I could not see Luke being so nonchalant about his sister throwing away her happiness for the New Republic, or teaming up with Fabio (a total stranger) to 'hunt down' his best friend.

And Luke would NOT be late to Leia's wedding! :mad:
  21. cos42 Jedi Youngling

Arising from the death to share my opinion of COPL.

There were several headwall-moments in the book but the most awful ones were definitely Han confiding in CP3O (?!) and the fact that I always felt that rather than stopping "loving" Isolder, Leia took Han back as consolation piece after she realised Isolder liked the other woman more. (Did anybody else interpretate it like this?)

It was the book that made me realise I would not waste my time with EU (and it's still the only book a have even skimmed throught). But I can't hate COPL quite as much as I should, beacause I found fanfiction courtesy of it.

(My God, it's been ages!)
  22. Liesl Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes. I can't see Han having a heart-to-heart with Threepio unless he was telling the droid just how much he detests him.

The one part I kind of liked (dare I say that about the book?) was when Han left to use that thermal detonator. Not because he was going and planning to not return, but because Leia realized how stupid she'd been.

Even though Leia is a giving person who'd give almost anything for the New Republic, I highly doubt she'd let that affect the choices she made in regards to her personal life the way she was about to in CoPL.

23. IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4

Oh my gosh you're right! That's the one part I remember.

"The blood pounded in her ears as she watched him walk away" or something close to that.

It was like the one romantic part of the book, when she calls out to him and they have that kiss.
  24. Liesl Jedi Master

star 4
    "Han bent down and kissed her fiercely, passionately, and the blood thundered in her ears. Leia suddenly realized how much she had missed this, missed feeling such raw, elemental fervor for a man...Leia closed her eyes, leaned into Han and kissed him harder."
    (CoPL, pg. 333)

I can read that part again and again (what H/L mush addict couldn't? :p). It's reminiscent of the relationshp we all saw in the movies.

But right before that part, there's this:

"Deep in her heart, she still been waiting to see if she loved Han."
    (CoPL, pg. 332)

IF?! I don't think that would ever be a question Leia would need to ask herself - if.
  25. IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4

I LOVE that part, but you're right - SHE SAID SHE LOVED HIM IN ESB!!!!

What an idiot. [face_frustrated]
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.