main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Bespin Cafe - The Han/Leia Fanfic Index - We've Moved to Version 2.0!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by HanLeiaFanficGuru, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    And Leia doesn't seem like the type of person who would say something she didn't mean, especially about her feeling and Han. The way she yelled "I love you!" in ESB just isn't a declaration that can lose its meaning, the way it did in CoPL.

Besides, no woman can stop lovin' The Solo. ;)

2. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Well, people can and do stop loving each other, but the author failed to give any reason WHY Leia would stop loving Han. Just because he was off chasing the Imperials (and this was to make her happy, actually) or because someone BETTER comes along? Really! That is so lame.

3. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    True. I guess I consider Han and Leia to have a sort of fairy tale ending after RotJ.

Even then, I don't consider Isolder better than anybody, except maybe a bantha (but I'm horribly biased).

Isn't "absence" supposed to "make the heart grow fonder" or something, too? If so, wouldn't five months away from each other mean something?

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Isolder was the sacrificial moron for an author who didn't understand romance.

5. PonyTricks

Jul 25, 2003
    - LOL

Well, "Absence makes the Heart Grow Fonder" is ONE old saying... another is , "Out of sight, out of mind..." :p

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't believe he was out of sight, out of mind. I hate to invoke the shabby EU regarding this time period, but both Marvel comics and Shadows of the Empire evidence that he was certainly not out of mind.

7. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

Do you think Troy wrote Tatooine Ghost because he also thought COPL sucked thus wanted a good H/L story?

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I think so. I mean, the entire thing was "Hapes...Fabio...DUMB IDEA! but now ya got me. Ain't we happy?" And that's how it should be.

9. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I'm just glad it was Denning who wrote Tatooine Ghost and not Wolverton...can you just imagine how that would have turned out?

10. PonyTricks

Jul 25, 2003
    - If Wolverton had written it, Leia would have been busy looking for the painting with the rat-people instead of out looking for Han.

Rat guy - "Aren't you worried about your husband lost out in the sand storm?"

Leia - "No... Han can take care of himself."

Rat-guy - "You're my kind of woman!"

Leia - "Thank you! If Han doesn't survive, maybe we can get together. I like you hairy types."

Rat-guy - *drools*

11. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    [face_laugh]

So where does that leave hairy Chewie? :p

12. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    In my newly aquired copy of Tattoine Ghost cover, Han's scar is on the wrong side. [face_worried]

13. IrishEyedJedi

Apr 24, 2005

Here's a good question. Why is it that so many Fan Fic writers can get the characterization of Han and Leia right, but Pro-Fic writers have such a hard time? What are they missing that we see? Are they just trying to reinvent the wheel or just leave their on mark on the couple?

14. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Fanfic writers get Han/Leia right because they LOVE H/L. Profic writers are doing it because they're under contract.

And, PonyTricks, the out of sight out of mind theory shouldn't hold up either because Han was in carbonite for 9 months and that didn't make Leia forget him. It wasn't until she was hit with Wolvertonitis that she was able to forget the love of her life and consider Prince Prissy-pants.

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I have a question. Someone brought up in a story of mine that it was not plausible for Han and Leia to have had any sort of romantic tension pre-ESB. I think that it is implausible that they should not have it because it is impossible for them to have come to the point in ESB without having the frustration of a relationship that is on unsure footing. Thoughts?

16. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    The tension was there since "This is some resue!"

1) They're men. :p
    2) They don't understand them.
    3) they don't have any respect for them.

17. PonyTricks

Jul 25, 2003

Now, now! Before everyone draws and quarters me.... I WAS KIDDING!!!!!!!! ;) - I hate Prince Fabio! Really, truly!

18. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I, personally, find it... interesting, for lack of a better term, that that seems to be the question of a lot of characters and couples in the EU. Truly. Anyone can sit down, string words and paragraphs together, and give the characters the names of Leia, Han, Luke, etc, but if you come across like you have no idea who it is you're writing, then I'm sorry, but it's not that person.

[/rant] :p

19. IrishEyedJedi

Apr 24, 2005

Oh PT we know you're kidding. You love H/L - especially when Luke and Han switch bodies [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]

But I think LP and Bri really nailed it. If you don't do the research and you don't care about the characters you write, it's gonna show. I'm sure when we're writing our H/L fic's there are other characters we might not but as much effort into as we do our favorite couple.

20. alhana_antilles

alhana_antilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    I have a question. Someone brought up in a story of mine that it was not plausible for Han and Leia to have had any sort of romantic tension pre-ESB. I think that it is implausible that they should not have it because it is impossible for them to have come to the point in ESB without having the frustration of a relationship that is on unsure footing. Thoughts?

You're right on this. I mean there was a high level of UST between those two in ESB. To get that high, it had to be building up years before. There needs to be a fluid evolution, which means increasing levels of UST before ESB.

21. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Update for the thread -

We're working on an update for Jan/Feb - should be up this weekend... if not, look for it no later than tuesday next week ;)

22. Aquarius_1977

Aquarius_1977 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2004
    Wow, it looks like I missed out on a lot! For some reason I stopped receiving email notifications of replies to this thread, so I thought it had gone inactive again.

All I can say is, this is what my best friend and I thought of COPL:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/solos_slave/COPL/DSCN1366.jpg

I would've put the image right into the post, but was afraid it would be too big and I didn't feel like messing around with resizing it.

As for the "I love you"/"I know" thing discussed eariler (rehashing it because it's a favorite topic of mine to ponder), I've always felt that it was more or less an effort on Han's part to soothe Leia's conscience; like he's telling her not to feel guilty for not saying it sooner because he knew all along any way. Also, I feel that there's a secondary intent of assuring her that he knows she really means it, that she didn't just blurt it out because she believes he's about to die or something.

Missed you guys! [face_peace]

23. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Aquarius, talk about flaming! I'm betting that's something a lot of people wanted to do with the book.

And a new update soon. Yay!

24. IrishEyedJedi

Apr 24, 2005

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] - That's bloody brilliant.

Will we also be getting a new challenge with that update? [face_batting] Especially since my holiday is coming up on the 17th

[face_good_luck] ;)

25. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Yeah... The holiday's St. Patty's, We'll see if we can't do something green to go along with it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.