main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Bespin Cafe - The Han/Leia Fanfic Index - We've Moved to Version 2.0!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by HanLeiaFanficGuru, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leia_of_Alderaan

Leia_of_Alderaan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2005
    Hey guys! First of all, you should know that I'm new around here! This was the first thing I found on this website, and boy am I glad I did!

I guess I wanted to write H/L fanfiction when I began to read H/L fanfiction. I was intrigued by their lives past ROTJ. I hadn't really thought about it. I guess I assumed that they would get married, but I never knew if they would or not, because Leia would probably become a Jedi. But now that I know Luke marries Mara Jade, and Leia and Han do get married, I want to know more of the story. And that's where fanfic comes in.

I can't wait for them to make Star Wars Episodes 7, 8, and 9. I think it would be awesome if I could somehow score the role of Jaina Solo...but that's some pretty big dreaming. Did anybody else notice that in the icon section there is no picture of Jacen and Jaina together? That's a little odd concerning the fact that they're twins. I mean, I don't expect to find one of Jaina and Anakin, but Jacen and Jaina are twins! It's implied that they have some shots together.

2. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    **left-field comment**

!!HAPPY 101ST MESSAGE POSTED!!

[face_dancing] :D =D=

DM

brings out homemade cookies, a cake and a soda....

3. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I find interesting how the complement each other, how they see through each other's mask (at least after Bespin). I love how they evolve together.

4. Leia_of_Alderaan

Sep 3, 2005
    Okay guys...I've been doing some thinking. So what do you think the order of Leia's last names should be? I've heard it many times as Princess Leia Organa Skywalker Solo, but technically she was a Skywalker before she was an Organa. So it should technically be Princess Leia Skywalker Organa Solo. Interesting...

Also...do you think my children would kill me if I named one of them Jaina and one Jacen?

5. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    You are having twins?! :eek:
    Maybe you should read my little vignette about names... http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=20639014&start=21179357

And, reagrding Leia's last name... Skywalker Organa Solo? S.O.S.?
    I think she's quite happy with Organa-Solo alone, for the two men that shaped her life.

6. Leia_of_Alderaan

Sep 3, 2005
    ROTFL! No...I'm not expecting twins. I'm not even pregnant! Actually, I'm not even married! In fact...I'm still a freshman in high school! I don't even have a boyfriend! LOL!

Naw, I'm just dreaming. I really loved the fic. I never really thought about it like that. I think that Jaina might be a little extreme because it OBVIOUSLY came from Star Wars. Jacen, however, is a little more subtle because it's just like Jason, only spelled differently. I've also thought about naming my children Luke and Leia. Once again, Leia is a little extreme, but Luke would be way more subtle. It'd be really awesome to have twins someday.

But don't worry guys. Right now I'm only a Star Wars crazed fan dreaming about her future. I'll probably feel different when I'm actually making these descisions. Like right now...I think it would be awesome to walk back up the aisle to Star Wars music. But when I actually get married, I'll probably end up with the traditional music.

Yeah, dreaming is fun. Have you ever had a dream you were a Jedi? Oh yeah. I hit the snooze just so I could see what happened next!

Also...I think that you're right about Leia's last names. She should just be Leia Solo. I was just wondering what you all thought about that mix-up. I didn't think about the S.O.S thing.

7. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    I don't think she should abandon her maiden name, moreover it's where the title "Princess" comes... For me, it's a very stupid use that women changer their names upon marriage...
    And for the Skywalker name, I think that she technically (and by technically I mean legally) never was a Skywalker, because she was registered as the Organa's daughter. And I strongly believe that she'll never abandon the name of the father she so dearly loved, even when she learned he wasn't hers biologically speaking.

8. Leia_of_Alderaan

Sep 3, 2005
    As for the women changing their names upon marriage...I think that all women should change their names when they get married. It says, "Honey, I love you so much, that I'm leaving my old name behind to take on yours, because you are part of me now." The bible says (Genesis 2:24), "For this reason, a man will leave his father and mother, and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh." I believe that because through marriage, you are "one flesh" with your husband, that changing your name to match his is a symbol of your commitment to each other. I don't think you're sinning, or wrong or something if you keep your maiden name, but I know that I'm going to change mine when I marry. Also, if your husband dies, it's a lot easier to file paperwork, and do things like that if you have the same last name, because it's easier to see that you were married, as opposed to John Smith dying, and Jane Doe comes in to do everything.

You're right! Leia was never legally a Skywalker. She was always registered as Organa. However, biologically, she was born a Skywalker. And, if you're just going by the movie's plot line, (forget all legal terms) she was a Skywalker for about an hour, until she was registered as an Organa. So legally, she is an Organa first, and never really a Skywalker. On other terms, she is a Skywalker first.

If Leia doesn't go by Leia Solo, then she won't abandon Organa. But I believe that she won't get rid of Skywalker either. However she decides to order them, is a descision only Leia can make. By the time she marries Han, we don't see her feelings towards Anakin. If we knew more about her feelings towards him, then we'd be able to tell more about whether she'd get rid of or keep Skywalker. But unfortunately, this is a topic with too little "official" information to explore accurately. Maybe we should ask George Lucas...

By the way, does anyone know what Leia's middle name is?

9. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    Oh, well, I'll change my name the day he changes his...:D Where I live, even if women didn't lose her maiden name, thay had to add the husban's last name in the following manner. Leia, after marrying Han, would be named "Leia Organa of Solo". It was fought for years, we are no property! Nowaday, few women of my age use their husband's last name.
    What is an unspoken rule followed by everybody is that married couples use matching golden rings.
    Paperwork? No problem. Civil marriage is mandatory (you can add a religious ceremony afterwards).

Well speaking of different uses... While we were staying at the hospital where they where born, my children had my last name! The health system applies the rule "Mothers we know, fathers we don't". Many couples name their children with both last names. E.g.: Leia's would be named Jaina, Jacen and Anakin Solo-Organa. I didn't only because it would be too long.
    So, by my country's laws, she's been a Naberri or Amidala for a few hours, never a Skywalker.
    An I guess she somewhat forgived her natural father, she named her younger son after him, didn't she?
    And, finally, I don't know Leias middle name or if she has one.

10. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Golden Jedi, I totally one hundred percent agree with you. And I just had to come out of lurk-mode to tell you that. We are not property--damn straight! I've always said that I would change my last name if my husband's name was geniunely nicer than the one I had. So it would be a choice I might decide on, but it's definitely not a given.

As for paper work? I can't imagine how that matters at all. My mother kept her maiden name, and has a different last name than my stepfather, AND me and my brother have different last names than both of them. Yet, we've never had problems proving our relations to everyone. That's just silly.

11. Leia_of_Alderaan

Sep 3, 2005
    Yeah...okay. Maybe it's not that important to paperwork. But I've just heard from a few people that having the last name makes it a whole lot easier. Ya know...forget I even mentioned it.

Yes...we aren't property. If I was treated like property...you'd have a real hard time getting me to do anything for you. I'm a person, a unique individual.

Golden_Jedi...I didn't realize you weren't from the USA. Your argument makes more sense to me now that I realize you're from a different country. For I was arguing purely based on my acceptance of US customs, not that of other countries. Marriage differs when you go from country to country. In fact, there's a country in Africa where wife-beating is perfectly normal...where as in the USA, it's illegal. Just differences in culture...that's all.

In my opinion, changing my name to match my husband's is in no way a symbol of me being his property, or anything degrading to women. It's just a thing I believe I should do based on my aforementioned reasons. When I change my name upon marriage, it will also say (in my opinion), "I was a different with my maiden name. I was single, and alone. Now I have found love, and am completed through marriage to my husband. Now that I am whole with him, I will change my name to his, because we will start a new life together." It's like if you were to commit a crime. Something serious...like murder. (Please note that in no way do I mean to compare getting married to a crime. It is simply an illustration.) If you didn't want to get caught...what would you do? You'd move to another country and start a new life. What else would you do? You'd change your name! See...when you get married, you're kind of starting over. You're now united to your spouse, and so things change. So you change your name in a symbol of your new life. You may or may not decide to change your name upon marriage or not...but because it makes sense for me to do so...that's what I'm going to do.

Also...in response to the children's last names. I am not familiar with any of this...because I obviously haven't been through it. Not really sure how it works in the USA, or anywhere else for that matter.

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    G_J, bienvenida. :) I'm living with a Mexican family where the daughter is Zaire Briseno de Gozain because of that naming convention, so I get your point.

13. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    Yanksfan: yes I know a lot of families where everybody has fiofferent last names...As Shakespeare said, What is a name...?

Leia_of_Alderaan: I hope I didn't hurt your feelings in any way... But I have been there, and now I'm out of it. All I can't say to you is this: Never forget who you are or where you come from, it doesn't help. Having said that, I'll shut up. :D

DarthIshtar: Gracias! Stupid spanish machismo! (ups, can I say that?)

Going back to the GFFA, so this post isn't totally off topic, I've been thinking that Leia's personality is one of the things we really have to thank GL for. She's smart, she's strong, she has power. She's not afraid of getting her hands dirty ;) . She's not a Barbie but she nevertheless gets the hot guy!

14. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I can see where you're coming from Leia_of_Alderaan, and please don't think I'm picking on you, I just find this stuff interesting. And you're perfectly entitled to your opinion--in other words, please don't feel bad for bringing this up in the first place.

That said, I understand you saying that taking your husband's name as a symbol of your new life and love, but...uh, then why can't he take yours? Do you see? But it's never an option, is it? (Although, my mom does know a family where the husband took the maiden name, and all the kids, too! But's that's an exception). I don't know, it's a difference of opinon, I guess. I can love my husband and show devotion as much as the next person, but I would also like to hold onto my own identity.

"...I was a different with my maiden name. I was single, and alone. Now I have found love, and am completed through marriage to my husband...."

I found that comment interesting. Single people aren't complete?

Naw, I'm partly kidding. Don't answer that. ;)

15. Leia_of_Alderaan

Sep 3, 2005
    Golden_Jedi: Naw, it's cool man! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and that's what makes this world great. I hope that I haven't offended you in any way either. I totally agree with you about Leia. When director Kevin Smith was asked about why he'd always love Leia, he said, "Every time someone came to rescue her, she wound up saving the day." That is so true! She's just such an amazing person, and I feel that that's why America has such an attraction to her.

Yanksfan: No offense taken. These boards are here for discussion, and debate. I find this stuff interesting, too. That's why I come here. Because I enjoy a good debate once in a while. As I said earlier...everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and that's what makes this world great. I don't know why he can't take mine. I guess it's just because it's always been done that the woman take the man's name, and I'll probably end up following tradition. I don't see it as a change of identity. You're the same person. You just have a husband now...and that's why your name is different. As a symbol of that change. I don't know. Maybe names are completely overrated. Maybe there's no point in them at all. Oh well. Well...I know you told me not to answer it...but I feel I must clarify. We as human beings have a natural instinct to get married and have a family. Most of us do, anyways. It's how we were created. God said to be fruitful and multiply, and that's where that desire comes from. It's not that you aren't complete single...but I feel that when you fill the aforementioned desire, you become MORE complete. I don't know. I've just seen in several people throughout my years the change in their personalities as they marry. They just all seem more whole, and less unhappy. "Not all girls fall in love, but all girls fall in love with the thought of being in love." -Marilyn Newell (No one you're supposed to know...just one of my main amigos)

DarthIshtar: Great. Now I want a chimichanga ;). Lol. Now that I think about it...my friend's family's last name is Cupul, and his is Bujanda-Cupul. Just a point of interest that I didn't realize until now.

16. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Has anyone else read the comic in one of the Star Wars Tales called "The Princess Leia Diaries"? It's silly, but I really liked it, especially her connection to Tarkin and her emerging sense of 'diplomacy.'

17. Leia_of_Alderaan

Sep 3, 2005
    Nah, I haven't read that. Where can I find it?

18. Leia_of_Alderaan

Sep 3, 2005
    Hey people, I've been checking this forum every day since my last post on the nineteenth, and now it's the first! I think that we should be diligent, and try to move a little faster than a snail, pleasee! I think we got passed up by at least four back there....

19. americantragedy

americantragedy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    Every time someone came to rescue her, she wound up saving the day."
    precisely why she rocks LOA!!!
    man, this place is dead.....
    -mia-

20. Leia_of_Alderaan

Sep 3, 2005
    Oh yeah, americantragedy. Yup...this place is dead. All you people out there...just think about this: If Leia knew that we had a rockin' forum for a while, and then we slowly let it die...what would she say?

Yup. Stay faithful.

21. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    She would do anything to keep it alive...

But this forum is not the only one dead, there hasnt been a great amount of H/L fics around these days, DRL is heavy all over the place, seems the world is a busy place...

anyway, I droped by to see if I could find a new fic somewhere.. but well.. none new...

bye gente!

DM

22. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

Didn't you guys see the Sep/Oct Han and Leia challenge posted in the Saga board?

Also DarthIshtar was been pumping out a few H/L stories (because I'm her master and I'm making her [face_devil] ) So check them out!

23. Leia_of_Alderaan

Sep 3, 2005
    No...I didn't. Nor can I find it. Can you post the URL? Thanks.

24. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005
  25. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    It's a tough one IEJ!

Besides, I'm currently working in a H&L fic (not for the challenge), but I'm not ready to let it see the light...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.