main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Best and Worst in Film- a discussion of the past 15 years

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by solojones, Sep 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    KW unfortunately, it happens to be one of the movies on my parent's short "I know you wanna see this movie but you are never, EVER seeing this... until you're 17 and we can't stop you" list. :( Along with American History X, which I really really need to see.

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Bummer :(.

I can understand why it's on there, given the nudity and rather mature angle it takes on some things. I'm sure you yourself would be fine with it, but I can still understand it.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    SJ, Beauty and History X are both must-see films. Beauty moreso, IMO. Just tell your parents I said so; I'm sure they'll relent out of sheer respect for teh Mastadge.

Is it true that American History X was originally much more intense and shocking, and that it was cut down to make it *more* palatable for viewers?

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, my brother's best friend who they really respect loves AB and AHX but they still won't let me see them yet :p Shame is, my friends have seen AB :_|

Se7en was also on that list, but due to that I've seen Silence of the Lambs... I took it on my own good authority that it really was ok to see it, and I downloaded it ;)

All I know about AHX is that Ed and the Director didn't get along AT ALL. It took forever to make and there were tons of changes.

-sj loves kevin spacey

5. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    American History X is a great movie. I heard that some people took the movie the wrong way, and seen it as a "pro-nazi" movie. How can you possibly see that movie as "pro-nazi"? Strange people.

6. DiMiT

DiMiT Jedi Master star 3

Mar 26, 2001
    I just wanna know why Lord of The Rings is considered to be atop of all time come on...

Shawshank is gotta be in there as fer others
    no comment

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Best Trend

1. Indie films

2. Classic fashion

3. DVDs

4. New Auteurs

5. Short Oscar speeches

I have to say that I'm a big fan of Indie films, but I would say my favourite trend is DVDs. I find them so much better in quality and resillience than VHS tapes.

Also, a thing that's happened is that semi-Indie films have really become popular. I personally am not a died-in-the-wool Indie purist. I'm not going to discount a film from the Indie category just because it has recognized stars, especially ones who are not acutally well recognized by the general public. (ie. Memento with Guy Pearce)

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    "I just wanna know why Lord of The Rings is considered to be atop of all time come on..."

Okay, lets get this straight first off because it's bothering me. People are incorrect when they call it 'Lord of the Rings' the full title is 'Fellowship of the Ring' and YES it makes all the difference, because Lord of the Rings implies the entire story in it's three divided parts the remaining two 'The Two Towers' and 'Return of the King'. Secondly does it matter? For some folk 'Lord of the Rings' is just that good. It's not for other folk. Most critics have different opinons altogether, they may not consider the genre entirely exculding SW, Harry Potter, LOTR, the likes.

9. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm just laughing at everybody who thinks FotR is the be-all-and-end-all of filmmaking. Why?, you may ask. It's simple: just wait until TTT. :D

10. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    It was good, but not that good. And as in all mediums, i don't think any movie is entitled to the title of "best" movie because there is no "best" movie. So there.

11. Jedi Chikara

Jedi Chikara Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 1999
    I could argue all day about why FOTR is overrated.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Hmm, interesting choices in the trends . . .

Indie Films--a ton of confusion resides here. Indie, semi-Indie, whatever. Are they really a recent trend? There have always been independent films of one type or another, haven't there?

Classic Fashion--I don't get this. How is this a trend in film?

New Auteurs--I could go on all day about the new auteurs. There have, of course, always been auteurs, but there are some new ones that are great for certain. Nolan, Shymalan, Fincher, Mann, Woo . . .

DVD--allowed.

Short Oscar Speeches--I beg your pardon?! Every year the Oscar telecast is longer. I don't think this is a trend at all. They still range all over the board, from brief to ludicrously lengthy.

13. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Best comic book movies:

1: Spider-Man
    2: Superman
    3: Batman
    4: X-Men
    5. Blade

Comments?? Agree, disagree??

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I've not seenX-Men or Blade yet . . .

Spider-Man was a great flick, but I'd put it below Batman for sure, but above Superman.

I haven't seen it, but I think a lot of people would put From Hell on that list . . .

15. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    From Hell is a good movie, but even though it is based from a comic book, you can hardly place it in the same category as the movies i listed.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I suppose the term 'comic book movie' could apply more as a genre and not as a reference to the original inspiration, much in the same way 'popcorn flicks' are not made from actual popcorn. :p

I see what you mean.

17. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I wouldn't lump From Hell, Road to Perdition, and the like in with other movies thought of as "comic book" movies. When people says "comic book" movies, I think what they tend to think of is "comic book superhero movies."

R1.5 -- X-men has serious flaws but is quite good. Blade is pretty much a piece of crap.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I was always a fan of X-Men the cartoons as a kid, and I really anticipated the film. Personally, I thought it was quite good. Bryan Singer is a personal favourite director of mine because I'm such a huge Usual Suspects groupie :p

I talked to editor/composer of TUS John Ottman, and he's working on X2, which really excites me. I love his scores for films more than anyone's besides John Williams. I'm looking forward to X2

-sj loves kevin spacey

19. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

PAd's favorite comic book movies:

1. Batman- I don't see how people can say Raimi's film is better than this timeless classic when a good 25% of Spiderman emulates this film! After a twelve year reign, Burton's unique interpretation of the Dark Knight has still not been dethroned.

2. Road to Perdition- Haven't read the comic yet, but it's a terrific film and it could very well be the first comic-based movie to win the Academy award for best picture. I think it's a strong contender.

3. Superman- I watch this movie and am astounded at the degree to which it captures that pulpy, comic book feel. It's almost as if I'm flipping pages as the scenes progress. I love the wonderful 2-d villians like burglers and henchmen, and the scene where Christoper Reeves first busts out the almighty "S" is just classic. :cool:

4. From Hell- Depp in a film about The Ripper? I'm sold. I subscribe to the theory that all a film rendition owes to the original work is its tone and flavor. It is not always true to the comic but how many great book-to-film movies are? (Think Apocalypse Now, The Shining, DR. STRANGELOVE for goodness sake!)

5. Spiderman- Like Superman, it captured many of those quintessential comicisms that we love, from those classic Steve Ditco poses to J.J. Jameson, who was hilariously brought to life.

~PAd

20. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    I didn't know Road To Preidition was based off a comic book, and i'm usually in the know when it comes to comic books. I have noticed more and more and more the huge influence that comic books have in the movie world. From The Matrix to Kevin Smith movies to Unbreakable. When i made my favourite "comic book movies" list, i should have said superheroes, because i didn't take into account the many great movies influenced by comic books that are my favourites.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Worst Trend

1. Teen movies

2. Gross-out movies

3. Singer/Actors

4. Blockbusters

5. Movies based on TV shows

Teen movies: here, here! I can only think of three that I actually like and consider good- Clueless, based on Jane Austen; 10 Things I Hate About You, based on Shakespear; Never Been Kissed, looks at high school without rose colored glasses and focuses on adult characters.

Gross-out movies: Hate them, hate even the hint at them, don't care to see them. I don't think their funny. I understand that some people do, but personally, I think it's horrible that film is wasted on such things.

Singer/Actors: I'm not really decided on this. I think if they are doing it just to do it, then it probably won't work. But some aren't actually that bad at it.

Blockbusters: I'm assuming this can translate as "bad movies made to make money" and I agree with that! I enjoy a good popcorn flick every now and again just like the next person, but there's no reason to be making so many stupid films. All these stupid movies targeted at teens that make tons of movies (ie. Swimfan) and aren't even remotely entertaining, just sicken me.

Movies based on TV shows: I can't really think of one... any examples?

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. Jedi Chikara

Jedi Chikara Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 1999
    Charlie's Angels. Scooby Doo. The Avengers.

I agree wholeheartedly on all of those. Finally, one of the lists that I agree with.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Wow. I agree totally.

Teen films aren't a recent trend, but empty, stupid teen films are. Think Rebel Without a Cause, American Graffiti, The Breakfast Club, etc. Of course, the recent teen movies have absolutly nothing to say and aren't funny to boot. Never Been Kissed being a nice change.

Gross Out Films--Considering that I love Dumb and Dumber, I still sort of despise the genre it started. All to often, a gross out film relys strictly on it's gross content as a seller and therefore isn't, um, funny. I hate that.

Singers/Actors--This ones a tad debatable. Will Smith continues to get better and better. I haven't seen the new Eminem film, but rumor has it he shows some real talent. But, by and large, all those freaking rappers that turned to film have no talent at all. And of course, you've got Carey.

Blockbusters--Again, any time a film is produced strictly to make money, strictly on formula, it's not going to be great. There have been great blockbusters, but they're inherently great films that then became blockbusters, not the other way around.

Movies based on TV Shows--Charlie's Angels. Scooby Doo. The Wild Wild West. I Spy. I wholeheartedly agree on principle.

Finally, a list that's right on target.

24. Gunthor

Gunthor Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2002
    The best movie of the last 15 years has to be Schindler's List. It was quite possible the most horrifying expierience I have ever had in the cinema.

My favorite movie of the past 15 years is probably Jurassic Park or Forrest Gump. The former was probably the best time I'd ever had at the movies and the latter is just pure greatness in my opinion.

The runner ups would be FOTR, which is epic film-making at it's best, Silence of the lambs, starring the greatest villian of all time (sorry Vader, your a close second), and Black Hawk Down, bravo Mr. Scott.

There are others of course, but these are the one's on my mind right now.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Rogue I agree on Dumb and Dumber. I love the film, but the genre it started just went way overboard.

Ah, I see. Tv to film movies... yeah, I can't really think of a good one either.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.