main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Best Book about the Sith is...?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by daveeek, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveeek

daveeek Jedi Padawan

Jun 21, 2011
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend what they think the best book about the history of the Sith is?

The Book of the Sith or Lost Tribe of the Sith or something else?

Thanks

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Book of Sith is probably the most detailed - but it doesn't cover the Lost Tribe of the Sith at all.

Close behind - maybe the Jedi vs Sith: Essential Guide to the Force book.

Circular Logic and mes520 like this.
  3. daveeek

daveeek Jedi Padawan

Jun 21, 2011
    Or is there another book, more of a novel that covers the Great Sith War?

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Great Hyperspace War and the Sith War (Sadow and Kun respectively) are mostly covered in the Tales of the Jedi comics, rather than in novels.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Great Sith War and the origins of the original Sith Empire were all in the Tales of the Jedi comic series. The Book of Sith covers that too though, in more detail when it comes to the actual origins, though the Fall of the Sith Empire is primarily documented in those comics, so it depends what sort of experience you wanted-- facts or a story.

Lost Tribe of the Sith is a collection of short-stories about exactly that: a lost tribe that live through the centuries. It's a very enjoyable read, but you'll only learn about the social development of that particular group, so it again depends exactly what sort of information/experience you're looking for.

Trebor Sabreon and Iron_lord like this.
  6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The Bane Trilogy and Darth Plagueis are both full of Sith history.

Trebor Sabreon and vong333 like this.
  7. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    The Phantom Menace novelization.

8. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Might I add that the Hyperspace Timelines on YouTube, created as a backstory to SWTOR, are also full of Sith history, and I think do an excellent job of giving the most important pieces of information from respective eras.

Trebor Sabreon and Zorrixor like this.
  9. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    From a canon perspective, that's the best bet...

Trebor Sabreon and mes520 like this.
  10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    At least the parts that line up with the movie, as it's been said repeatedly... so you might as well just watch the movie.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  11. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

SMH, damn shame they were never finished. Those were honestly the most interesting part of The Old Republic to me. I'll agree with this though, they're filled with history on the Sith, and can be said to sum up a good portion of the ancient Sith comics, along with throwing in a few new details concerning the Sith Emperor and the new game they were for.

In terms of books though, if not Book of the Sith, then definitely Darth Plagueis.

12. Orman Tagge

Apr 10, 2014
    I think Book of the Sith could be a little discombobulating without context. The best way to get a full understanding of Sith history, relatively quickly?

-Read TOTJ
    -play KOTOR and go male/light side (for canon ending). Alternatively, watch a YouTube playthrough. I really recommend playing it though. Even if it's just on the ipad.
    -watch the Hyperspace Timelines at this point. Maybe play some TOR or read some SWTOR books/comics. I haven't though, and I get along just fine.
    -Read the Darth Bane trilogy, operating under the assumption that the brotherhood of darkness emerged after the fall of TOR's Empire.
    -Read Darth Plagueis
    -Read Book of Sith for a good overview of everything so far, including stuff farther back than TOTJ.

That catches you up on the Sith history right up to the movies. Don't be afraid to use wookieepedia, either. It's your friend.

13. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Well, there's stuff in there that comes directly from George Lucas that's not mentioned in the movie (such as the history of the Sith and the mentioning of Darth Bane), so there! :p

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. daveeek

daveeek Jedi Padawan

Jun 21, 2011
    Thanks all, i'm off to amazon and to you tube!

15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    mes520- Those were excellent choices. The Bane Trilogy and Darth Pleguies are awesome books with chock filled historical bits and pieces of the sith and there alleged capabilities. After watching episodes like the Mortis Arc, Dathomir Witches (Mother Talzoin), and the Yoda Arc, the stuff in those books are not that far off. Some can and some can't do it, that what it sums it up to. The bad part though is that those books are Legends and may not be counted towards the new canon stuff. Which is a shame.

Orman Tagge and Iron_lord like this.
  16. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Are these three youtube videos what you were talking about in regards to the hyperspace timeline?

If so are there others and can someone post a link to them?

17. Orman Tagge

Apr 10, 2014
  18. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    The first timeline video you posted includes all twelve videos which were released.

As was alluded to, it was thought that there would be more, but they were never completed.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=467770

That said, as mentioned in that link I shared, there was talk of "a different series (currently unscheduled!) which will detail other aspects of the lore of The Old Republic."

I don't think I recall anything ever coming of this "different series."

Am I mistaken?

19. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    It will be interesting if Disney ever chooses to go that far back with their movies and neu. And if they do so will it take them quite a while to delve into that era. I personally will say all that stuff still happened in the disneyverse until they ouright come and overwrite it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.