main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Best Movie of the 90s

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Bresson, Jul 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    :eek: I'm coming with you, RL 1.5!!! I love Casablanca!!

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Just in case the silly-smilies didn't clue you in, I was kidding. ;)

I believe that the AFI got it right having Casablanca in the top three of their list. And how can you not love the Bogster? It's a shame that the only best actor award he ever won was the one he didn't deserve. :( But then, this is the same academy that pretty much snubbed Carey Grant through out his entire career.

What decade is this thread supposed to be about, now? :D

~PAd

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I know you were kidding ;) But I actually do know people who don't like it! :_|

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

After much research and soul searching, I have come to the conclusion that AL hates every movie ever made.

Just because I don't like the crappy flicks defended here, like AOTC or Titanic, does not mean I hate every movie ever made.

I love film, and I love a lot of films. The films I love are great. The films I hate are crap. I know I am right, and I know everyone who disagrees with me about anything to do with film is wrong.

Here endeth my rant.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    love film, and I love a lot of films. The films I love are great. The films I hate are crap. I know I am right, and I know everyone who disagrees with me about anything to do with film is wrong.

I seriously hope you're joking.

6. AL

Aug 22, 1998

There is an inherent sense of irony in that statement, of course. Nonetheless it is not a joke. It is what being a film geek is about.

Knowing you're right about cinema.

At all times.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It's all about perspective, experiences and influences that lead us to feel the way we do about film.

To say that you (or anyone) are absolutely right on how good or bad a film is seems quite sad indeed.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    AL- I agree with KW. I'm a film geek too. And even if we agreed on every film, I wouldn't say we are "right". It's partly opinion, man.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

That's so true, this is all relative and a matter of opinion... thankfully, mine happens to be the correct one! :D

Seriously, since this is all subjective, what do you guys think about different organizations (like the AFI) making their top 100 lists? I mean whoose to say that "Gone with the Wind is a better film than Aliens? Who in their right mind would attempt to compare them?" (I took that from Entertainment Weekly).

Is this all just silliness or in good fun? Why is film one of the only art forms that constantly compares and contrasts it self amongst other works in the medium? You didn't see people ranking Pissaro, Monet, and Renoir to see who was the most prolific Impressionist. Friendly competition is one thing, lists and awards shows are entirely another.

~PAd

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    PAD- I agree that you can't really compare apples and oranges. But you can say what kind of apple or orange is the best/most popular fruit.

In other words, people like to see things broken down sometimes (especially big film fans) but there are other times when people just want to say what they think is the overall best.

But still.. it's silly to compare, say, Se7en and Dumb and Dumber when talking about films of the 90's. [face_laugh]

-sj loves kevin spacey

11. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

I personally think that they're rather fun, and I must admit that they've opened me up to some great films on occasion, but they should be taken with a grain of salt. Like you said, "compairing apples and oranges."

Having said this, I think I'll make my own top 10 list just for the heck of it (because 100 is simply too large of a number ;) ). Who knows, maybe some of these will be on your own lists.

I should add that I'm trying to make this as objective as possible; that is, these are not necessarily my favorite movies (or else I would add films like Edward Scissorhands and Buffalo '66) but what I believe to be the finest examples of film available. So, with no further ado:

15. The Bicycle Thief
    14. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    13. Chinatown
    12. The Graduate
    11. Taxi Driver
    10. Schindler's List
    9. The Godfather pt.2
    8. Sunset Boulevard
    7. The Seven Samurai
    6. Lawrence of Arabia
    5. 8 1/2
    4. Casablanca
    3. The Godfather
    2. Citizen Kane
    1. 2001: A Space Odyssey

Okay, so that's fifteen... I could help it. ;)

~PAd

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't really know that I can make an objective list, because I haven't seen some of the greats... and it would be especially hard for me to do just a 90's one.

But also, my favourite movies are good ones (I think...) I don't just love those stupid movies. They're fun, yeah, but I can't admire them. Hints, The Usual Suspects is my #1 movie of the 90's and probably all time.

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

Since you're a fan, I was wondering if you knew that the title for The Usual Suspects was taken from the end scene of Casablanca? "Someone shot Major Stausser (sp?), round up the usual suspects." :D

~PAd

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, of course I knew that! Not just because I'm a fan, but because I'm a Casablanca fan (first!) :)

But Chris McQuarrie took the title from a magazine article, and didn't realize it was referencing Casablanca until later, lol

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. AL

Aug 22, 1998

I stand by my ground. If people disagree with me on film, it's their won fault and ignorance. I am right. I have always been right. I will always be right.

when it comes to films, that is

PS. The "opinion" argument is not only tired but also meaningless.

16. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    PS. The "opinion" argument is not only tired but also meaningless.

In your opinion.

:p

Unless you're God, any critique you have on cinema is merely your opinion, and not fact. Hate to burst your bubble. ;)

17. AL

Aug 22, 1998

Unless you're God, any critique you have on cinema is merely your opinion, and not fact. Hate to burst your bubble.

You are not ursting my bubble; it's unburstable. I am the quintessential boy in the buble when it comes to film; I am right, you are wrong. It's such a simple notion, I have no idea why you are not getting it.

What I know inside me is fact; i.e. I AM therefore I AM: it has nothing to do with thought.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    See, the thing about opinion is it can't be argued. In my opinion, 2001 is a great film. Therefore, it is a great film. In someone else's opinion, it's a boring film. Therefore, it is a boring film. Whatever a film is to someone, it is. Can't be argued.

As for top 100 lists, I think we all agree that they should be taken with a grain of salt, but still they're fun. :D Plus, I mean, when you get to the top 100 or even 1000 or 5000 films, you're dealing with such a tiny fraction of a single percentile of the complete body of every film ever made that they're practically on equal ground.

19. AL

Aug 22, 1998

2001 is a great film. Anyone who thinks it isn't is wrong. This is not about opinion.

Similarly, the Second World War was a far more important conflict than the Boer War, for example. It is a fact, not an opinion.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    If someone says 2001 was boring to them, then it was boring to them. It was boring. You can't deny that.

However, no one can say that 2001 was an unimportant film. That is not debatable. It was important. Fact.

21. AL

Aug 22, 1998

This is getting tired: let's see the next films on the list.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Good point. ;) :D

Nominated films, beginning with 'J':

The Joy Luck Club--never seen it.

JFK--never seen it.

Jacob's Ladder--never seen it.

Jungle Fever--never seen it.

J is not a good letter for me. :p

23. AL

Aug 22, 1998

The Joy Luck Club-- I do like this film, if only for its old-fashioned sentimentality. This works as a great double bill with 1996's Il Postino.

JFK-- I appreciate the technical achievements that this film is so very full off and salute Oliver Stone's convictions. Nevertheless, it lacks an emotional core which a similar film like "All The President's Men" employs right at the centre of its heart. Enjoyable, but leaves you longing for more at the end: a sense of hope, perhaps.

Jacob's Ladder-- Very enjoyable with a great twist to boot.

Jungle Fever-- Just like most of Lee's work, it contains sequences of amazing power yet fails to address the central issue which gives the film its name. Underwhelming.

24. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

Sorry, I know you guys wanted to drop this already but if I don't say this I won't be able to get a good night's sleep so bear with here. ;)

Essentially, I think we're all agreeing but explaining our ideas in different ways. Observe:

See, the thing about opinion is it can't be argued.

Actually, I think it's one of the only things that can be argued. It is FACT that can't be argued but an opinion can be swayed at a moments notice. What I think you mean by this is that there is no universal opinion that is correct so all of our individual opinions are just as valid as someone else's. We, therefore, cannot argue that someone's opinion is incorrect because they all have the potential to be equally valid.

2001 is a great film. Anyone who thinks it isn't is wrong. This is not about opinion.

And within the "bubble" of your mind (as someone said earlier) this is true, all opposition is wrong. Yet, from the frame of mind of someone else all opposition that it is NOT a boring film is wrong. Again, this lends back to relativity.

Regarding your second statement however, it IS about opinion. If your statement is not an opinion, then what is it? Certinaly not a fact, facts can be proven empirically (or otherwise) and taste or personal aesthetic cannot be proven, they merely are.

Similarly, the Second World War was a far more important conflict than the Boer War, for example. It is a fact, not an opinion.

These two things are not similar. This second statement is a fact because WW II happened to much grander and more consequential war.

However, as I look at it again, the word "important" seems to make the statement more of an opinion, again. :D So maybe they are similar, had you said "concequential" or "economically productive" it would have made it a fact but the phrasing makes it an opinion. :)

Whatever a film is to someone, it is. Can't be argued.

Exactly, except it CAN be argued. 8-}

Of course, this is all just my opinion. [face_mischief]

~PAd

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    AL... ok, so what's your opinion on The Usual Suspects? Because that's what I think is the best film of the 90's. Oh, sorry, that's what I KNOW, because I am all-knowing [face_plain]

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.