The Best Movie of the 90s

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Bresson, Jul 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Edit: Nevermind. Dropped.
  2. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    Knight, I agree about Titanic. Although I do think it is a bit overrated (highest grossing movie of all time? Not that good), but it is extremely good. I'm not big on romance movies, and the romance story didn't really grab me, but Titanic is about much more than that. When I saw it in the theater, it wasn't a movie, it was an experience. The action and suspense were very intense, and I was very much moved by the plight of the passengers. Seeing so many people, from all different walks off life, die tragically in such a sort period of time was truly sobering.

It was a big moment when I realized there were people who didn't like Casablanca.

I never really understood why Casablanca is such a great film. I mean, it's OK, but a timeless classic? Why, exactly? The Maltese Falcon was much better.

Paranoid Andorid, in comment to your list --
    15. The Bicycle Thief -- Meh, it was OK.
    14. Raiders of the Lost Ark -- Oh yes, and #14 is about where I'd put it, too.
    13. Chinatown -- I thought it was too slow.
    12. The Graduate -- Excellent choice, excellent.
    11. Taxi Driver -- It's a classic, but I wouldn't put it at #11
    10. Schindler's List -- Good movie, I'd move it higher up on the list, possibly to the #2 or #3 slot.
    9. The Godfather pt.2 -- Goes without saying :)
    8. Sunset Boulevard -- It's a classic, but I wouldn't put it at #8
    7. The Seven Samurai -- Seven at seven? Sorry, could resist. Anyway, very good movie, but I like Hidden Fortress better.
    6. Lawrence of Arabia -- Agreed!
    5. 8 1/2 -- No comment.
    4. Casablanca -- See comments from above.
    3. The Godfather --Very good movie, a true classic.
    2. Citizen Kane -- I really like this, still, I think it is a little over rated. I'd move it down a few notches, IHMO.
    1. 2001: A Space Odyssey -- It's a good movie, when you fast forward through half the scenes of things just floating around for no reason.

I agree with about half your list. Movies that I disagree with, I'd swap out for (in no particular order: Pyscho (that movie was maserfully done!), Dr. Zhivago, Hidden Fortress (doesn't have the rep that Seven Samuri has, but I honestly think it is better -- I'd still leave Seven Sams on the top 15, though), ANH, and Ben Hur.
  3. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4

Okay, I know I totally hi-jacked this thread but, to qoute myself, "a conversation will go where it will... we are merely its vessels." :D

Having said that, I considered adding Pyscho to my list but after having just watched it recently, I've come to the conclusion that it's not that great of a movie (I've had a similar epiphany regarding Gone With the Wind and Singin in the Rain). The shower scene, however, is without a doubt, one of the most visceral moments ever captured on celluloid!

A New Hope was another film I had qualms about putting in the top 15. Thinking back on it, I probably should have swapped it out with Chinatown. Oh well, it's my first attempt. :D Ben-Hur definetly belongs in the top 50 for me.

The Bicycle Thief -- Meh, it was OK.

Remember, I didn't say these were my favorite films, rather, this list is supposed to represent what I think are some of the most important, consequential, socially phenomenal, and masterfully crafted films. I think The Bicycle Thief pretty much exemplifies all of those points. This is the film that pretty much invented the Italian Realism movement. I also think the actors, all of them, did a remarkable job considering the fact that none of them were true actors but impoverished factory workers.

Seven at seven? Sorry, could resist.

[face_shocked] I swear that was by total coincidence. :D

~PAd

4. AL Chosen One

star 5

15. The Bicycle Thief -- This flick is always dubbed in plural in Europe and singular in the States: bizarre. I love this, one of the greatest achievements of Italian cinema.

14. Raiders of the Lost Ark -- Greatest popcorn film ever.

13. Chinatown -- Is there a better film where two mataphors are juggled so seamlessly in an overtly Jungian and parenthetical thriller? One of the finest Hollywood films ever made.

12. The Graduate -- Albeit slightly dated now and it more of a sign of the times of its era, this is nevertheless full of splendid performances and totally absorbing characters. And what a beautiful, beautiful final scene it is at the back of the bus...

11. Taxi Driver -- A totally, totally fullfiling movie.

10. Schindler's List -- A personal story told with a grand vision and technical brilliance by one of the finest Hollywood directors of all time. The final shot in the graveyard is nonetheless slightly confusing.

9. The Godfather pt.2 -- The first film is
    the finest film ever made and although this follows very closely, it can't outshine its predecessor.

8. Sunset Boulevard -- "I am big. It's the movies that got small." Wilder at one of his best!

7. The Seven Samurai -- This is how you make an action film.

6. Lawrence of Arabia -- And this is how you make an epic film.

5. 8 1/2 -- Fellini is one of the most understated geniuses in cinema and this film, in ways sad and shocking at the same time, is his tour de force.

4. Casablanca -- If you don't cry in Casablanca, then you better have your heart checked. Truly a classic, and one of the most well rounded character pieces ever.

3. The Godfather -- As I said earlier, the greatest film ever made.

2. Citizen Kane -- Is there a more unintentionally autobiographical piece of movie-making, even though it was the first film of Orson Welles? To see this is to realise the power and beauty of cinema.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey -- Tremendous.
  5. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4

The final shot in the graveyard is nonetheless slightly confusing.

You mean the shadow adding the rose to the grave? I took it for granted that he was supposed to be Spielberg? :confused:

Is there a more unintentionally autobiographical piece of movie-making, even though it was the first film of Orson Welles?

How creepy, huh? This is now every aspiring filmmakers worst dream! ;) Huh? Oh, no... I didn't mean subconciously parrelling their life to their movie, I mean getting as bloated as Orson did! 8-}

6. AL Chosen One

star 5

You mean the shadow adding the rose to the grave? I took it for granted that he was supposed to be Spielberg?

NO, as that looks very much like Liam Neeson, does it not?

What I find confusing is people putting flowers to his grave, and the actors joing in. I understand what it is trying to achieve; but the scene gives out a mixed signal. Though it has to be said that it is a minor point that opens the film up for more debate and I welcome it as such.
  7. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Here's my top couple films of all time.

The Usual Suspects
    Psycho
    The Shawshank Redemption
    12 Angry Men
    Almost Famous
    The Sting
    Casablanca
    Gone With the Wind
    Back to the Future Trilogy
    Star Wars Trilogy
    Indiana Jones Trilogy

seriously, Al. Care to comment on those?

(sorry, are we getting OT?)

-sj loves kevin spacey
  8. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    I think The Bicycle Thief pretty much exemplifies all of those points. This is the film that pretty much invented the Italian Realism movement.

I studied the Realism Movement in college, and best I could tell, BT was the best and most important movie to come out of it. So I have to wonder, how important was that movement to cinema as a whole? That movement did have an impact on Italy culture and history, so from that standpoint I could respect it. Still I stand by my comment, I don't think it is the #15 movie of all times.

Hey, AL, Godfather 3, what's your opinion? (That's on topic, it is, afterall, a 90's movie :D)

solojones, are these what you think are the greatest movies ever, or your favorites? In any event:

The Usual Suspects - Good movie, not a timeless classic, though, but it is very well done.
    Psycho- Masterfully done. The script and directing are simply what screenwriting and directing are all about.
    The Shawshank Redemption - Very good, not one of the ten best movies ever made, but a powerful film.
    12 Angry Men - Haven't seen it in years. Need to rewatch before I can comment, but I have good memories of it.
    Almost Famous - That's still on my list of "need to see" movies. When I've seen it, I'll comment.
    The Sting - Saw it when I was a kid, hated it, never watched it since. But I really should give it another try.
    Casablanca - Despite AL's comments, I still don't get how this movie is suppose to grab my heartstrings. Good acting, interesting story, but I still say overrated.
    Gone With the Wind - Good movie, but overrated. It is only as famous as it is because it was ahead of its time. Still, it set a good precedent for movies to follow.
    Back to the Future Trilogy - Entertaining at best.
    Star Wars Trilogy - ANH: Yes. ESB: Close. ROJ: No, but I do like ROJ. However, it has too many problems to be on the top ten/fifteen list.
    Indiana Jones Trilogy - ROLA/TLC, as AL said, greatest popcorn movies ever (that and ANH/ESB). TTOD was entertaining, but not one of the greats.
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    As a trilogy, the Back to the Future films don't hold up. The first one alone, however, is quite simply brilliant.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I refuse to narrow my list of favorites down. I can't find it in my heart to cut any of them. Too many great films.
  10. Thraxwhirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The Usual Suspects tops your list, solojones? You are nothing if not consistent.

For myself, I would handpick(and I'll probably think of others another time) from the 1990s:

The Fisher King
    Shadowlands
    The Matrix
    Star Trek: First Contact
    The Remains of The Day
    Stalingrad
    Resevoir Dogs
    Wilde
    The Big Lebowski
    Dead Poets' Society

I'll no doubt be kicking myself later when I think of others.

If we're going with all-time faves, I'd probably add in:

Conspiracy (that's not Conspiracy Theory - Conspiracy is a film starring Kenneth Brannagh, about Wannssee)
    The Fellowship of the Ring
    Rollerball
    The Empire Strikes Back
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Bugsy Malone
    Operation Daybreak
    Taxi Driver
    Das Boot
    Cyrano de Bergerac
    A Bridge Too Far

Again, I'll almost certainly kick myself when I think of more, like A New Hope, The Princess Bride and Labyrinth for example.
  11. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4

The Fisher King- I swear by the moon and stars and your first born that one day I'll get around to watching this movie.

Resevoir Dogs- Loved the movie but it's really pissing me off that they decided to release FOUR different versions of it. That makes both the LOTR and Apocalypse Now shinnanigins look like a savings!

Wilde- Great film, especially if you're a Wilde lover like my self (check my sig ;) ). However, I must add that after reading most of his works, a few biographies, and poems I don't think he was that gay. I don't think it was such a big thing for him, he merely took it as it came to him-- not a crucial part of his work/life. The play "The Three Trials of Oscar Wilde" really went over board with it, IMO.

Dead Poets' Society- Great film on many levels and I doubt we'll ever see Robin Williams at that caliber again, but I simply can't stand the lead actor, I forget his name... the guy who wanted to act and sucked on a gun barrel. He's so annoying!

~PAd

12. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Thrax- contrary to what may be believed, my loved of TUS predates my love of Kevin ;)

That list I gave was off the top of my head... and I like to think that my favourite movies are also good ones. Although I do think that TUS is the best movie I've ever seen.

Even though this is 80's... I had to comment on the Back to the Future Trilogy:

I don't know HOW on earth anyone can say this trilogy is anything short of brilliant. If you really watch the movies, you will realize that the script writing by Bob and Bob is outstanding. All the ironic humor, and the way the entire thing ties together... I love every moment of each of the movies. So despite what anyone else may say, I think that this, as a single story, is one of the best.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  13. Samwise_Skywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Fisher King is one of my all-time faves. Just love that movie to death!
  14. AL Chosen One

star 5

The Usual Suspects - I do like this film, I enjoy the homoerotic chemistry that is so obviously brought to the fore, and I enjoy the overall gangster story. Like with many films with a twist, it is being considered for greatness thanks to its twist, neither ingenious nor groundbreaking: you expect one of them to be Soze, and it is: what I am trying to get at, is that I think the final gimmick brings the film down a couple of notches. Otherwise, I find it greatly entertaining. (Question: What did happen exactly?)

Psycho - I have always preferred Psycho to Vertigo, for example, as it is a much more rounded film. Whereas in Vertigo there are certain scenes and/or characters that are brushed over once the film starts approaching the 120 minute mark, Psycho's compact style maintains the wholeness of the film. It's a claustrophobic film; it's a voyeurist film, it's an exploitation film: it's a great film.

The Shawshank Redemption - The problem with this film is that it is a comic book movie and hence I can't take it that seriously. The good guys are amazingly good and hence unconvincing as criminals jailed for life. The bad guys are "badder" than Dr. Doom. Added to this is running time of the film which only made me emphatise with lifers. Added to this is the already mentioned gimmicky ending which in cases such as this brings the film down (in The Sixth Sense, it elevates it). That said, I can't say I don't enjoy the film when it's on the telly, most probably for the performances of Robbins and Freeman, whose chemistry is reminiscent of Newman and Redford on downers.

12 Angry Men - I love this flick for its staunchly liberal convictions which it clings to as hard as Fonda clings to his conviction that the kid is not guilty. It's a character story with a plot, and the austere direction elevates what could have been a filmed theatre production into a cinematic tour de force.

Almost Famous - Huckleberry Finn crossed with On the Road crossed with Hunter Thompson crossed with A Hard Day's Night: what do you get? One of the finest coming of age stories ever put on celluloid. And it has a killer soundtrack to boot.

The Sting - This is formulaic and a degenerative and insincere Hollywood vehicle trying to capture the glory of Butch and Sundance. it works fine, enjoyable on a Saturday afternoon maybe. Otherwise, there were far better films in 1973 that deserved the Oscar.

Casablanca - This is my second favourite film of all time and I believe I posted some remarks on this earlier.

Gone With the Wind - I applaud its technical achievements and bravery. However, I could never find myself warming to Scarlett: albeit acted to immaculate perfection by Vivian Leigh, I have always found her very antipathetic and hence I can't silence my cynicism, as I so easily can with, say, Casablanca. I enjoy the Civil War aspects of the film but the romance in the flick is not one I can possibly embrace. The unsubtle racism also does not help the film's cause.

Back to the Future Trilogy - The first one is great, the second one is passable and the third one sucks ass.

Star Wars Trilogy - The first one is great, the second one is great, the third one is passable until the throne room sequence when it becomes great again.

Indiana Jones Trilogy - The first one is great, the second one sucks ass, the third one is the exact same story as the first one but thanks to great chemistry between the four main heroes, there will always be a place for this in my heart.

The Godfather Part III - Although I find this a grand vanity project, it is too well produced a film to be an out and out bad flick. There are certain mishaps though. The Vatican plot is not only confusing but is also underwhelming as a story. Luchesi, the real enemy, is introduced way too late: this works brilliantly in the first film thanks to the conference scene though in this one it is convoluted. The lack of Duvall's Hagen and Sofia Coppola as Mary are two mishaps in casting, which should have been sorted out for the good of the film. Disapp
  15. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Well AL, I agreed with you on a lot of what you said, but not all of it. Thanks for the comments though. I respect that you're a big film fan (but you're not the final word).

A quick comment on TUS... I didn't know one of them was supposed to be Soze. I just figured it was someone else.... *shrug*

-sj loves kevin spacey
  16. AL Chosen One

star 5

Let's have the other films then from the nineties...
  17. Yodave27 Jedi Master

star 4
    If we're going all-time here then I'll add my list to the heap.

The Adventures of Robin Hood
    Captain Blood
    Charge of the Light Brigade-(I'm partial towards this because my father named me Geoffrey after Geoffrey Vickers)
    Seven Saumrai(although Hidden Fortress is slightly better, this is ahead of it because of its epic-ness)
    ANH
    ESB
    Clash of the Titans
    Ben Hur
    Poltergeist
    Godfather 1&2
    The Goonies(ahh, gotta love 80's charm)
    and many more. I could go on for hours, but let's keep it short and sweet.
  18. AL Chosen One

star 5

Half a league, half a league,
    Half a league onward,
    All in the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.
  19. Yodave27 Jedi Master

star 4
    Half a league, half a league,
    Half a league onward,
    All in the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.

Gotta love Tenneyson(sp? I've never been able to spell his name.)

20. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    but I simply can't stand the lead actor, I forget his name... the guy who wanted to act and sucked on a gun barrel. He's so annoying!

That would be Robert Sean Leonard... "Dead Poet's Society" is up there on my list of most overrated movies of all-time.. What a STUPID film... I'll grant that Robin Williams was good, but the story as a whole: What a waste of time.. My favourite thing to say about this film: You'd probably be screwed up as well if you're dad was CLARENCE BODDICKER!

Just for the heckuvit, my list of favourite movies (note this is favourite movies, not best) of all-time:

Aliens: Probably the most intense action movie of all-time.. Great cast, great direction.. It's too bad Cameron let fame get to his head..

The Thin Red Line: Absolutely beautiful film..I know alot of people who despise this.. I believe it's because it was marketed as being another "Saving Private Ryan", when in reality it was something completely different....

The Untouchables: Well-acted..Well-directed.. I don't understand why Brian DePalma isn't more popular then he is..

Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Spielberg's best, IMO...

Paths of Glory: Great story.. Great performances and an ending that will haunt you (in the classic Kubrickian way)

Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn: I love Sam Raimi. I love Bruce Campbell. Groovy

The Big Lebowski: Right up there in the top two funniest movies i've seen.. The Coen Brothers rule..

The Blues Brothers: The other funniest movie i've ever seen...We're on a mission from God.

To Have and Have Not: Lauren Bacall.. What else needs to be said?

Halloween: One of those rare movies that seems to get better everytime you watch it.. John Carpenter isn't anywhere near the big name that he should be...

They Live: Probably my favourite Carpenter film.. Bizarre to the extreme, but it's got some GREAT quotes.. ("I come here to chew bubblegum and kick a**. And i'm all out of bubblegum...")

Dark City: Modern day sci-fi classic.. Alex Proyas is a director to watch..Do you know the way to Shell Beach?

Tron: A movie that was ahead of it's time.. Had it come out in the 90s, rather then the 80s, perhaps it would have been more well-received.. In 1982, i don't think enough people knew what a Bit was...

Labyrinth: My favourite Jim Henson movie..Jennifer Connelly's a beauty, even at that age...

Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Actually, you could probably insert any Monty Python movie in here.. "Grail" is probably the most laugh-filled of the bunch, though....

On Her Majesty's Secret Service: A Bond movie HAS to make this list.."Goldfinger" is generally regarded as "The" Bond flick, but i think that this one is the best...

Logan's Run: Great sci-fi story that came out JUST before "Star Wars", and was thus left in that film's dust...There IS no Sanctuary...
  21. Yodave27 Jedi Master

star 4
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service: A Bond movie HAS to make this list.."Goldfinger" is generally regarded as "The" Bond flick, but i think that this one is the best...

I always liked From Russia with Love. To me, it's Connery at his best as Bond......
  22. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4

I completely agree, From Russia With Love is quite simply the quintessential Bond flick. Gold finger's a close runner up as is Dr. No.

~PAd

23. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    So wait... did we agree that 2000 counts as the 90's?

-sj loves kevin spacey
  24. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Uh well, tonight I finally saw Fight Club and it's an instant fav :D Wow, just.. wow :)

And if you consider 2000... Memento would DEFINITELY be on my list :)

-sj loves kevin spacey
  25. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.