main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Best Movie of the 90s

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Bresson, Jul 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FiveHorizons

FiveHorizons Jedi Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    That's what I was thinking as I read this, Radiohead. SPR is an amazing film along with Schindler's List, two of the best from the 90s.

2. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

For me it's a tie between BRAVEHEART and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. Both are great films I'll never forget and both showed us the ugly side of war.

3. RedWingJedi

RedWingJedi Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002
    I can't believe no one has mentioned my favorite movie (other than Star Wars) Fight Club. I think this film was really misunderstood when it came out. The media seemed to dismiss it just a guy movie about fighting. I personally think its a great critique of our consumer driven society and will (hopefully) one day be understood

4. Kueller

Kueller Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    Yeah, Fight Club definitely has to be up there, though the reason it isn't is because not enough people saw it. It made less than 40 million at the box office.
    In reality though, it wasn't about the fight clubs or project mayhem, it was about this guy fighting with himself over how he was and how he wanted to be. That whole conflict, and the confusion around it, is what made it a very good movie. It should definitely be in the top 5.

5. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Best movie of the 1990s?

The Usual Suspects... hands down. More bang for your buck than practically any other film since then... Directed by a 27-year old, costing a mere $4 million... this film looked like it cost $50 million to shoot, and felt like it was written and directed by David Fincher. It is on my top ten list of all time, as well.

I want to say Schindler's List as a close second.

6. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    EDIT: Oops... double post.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hands down, The Usual Suspects\

Edit: AH! DSD, you took the words right out of my mouth! :eek:

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    Comedy: Dumb and Dumber
    War: Savin Private Ryan
    Sci Fi: Star Wars Special Edition Trilogy
    Western: I like to many

9. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    The best movie of the 90's for me came down to two different one's. Batman and The Silence of the Lambs.

Batman: I really enjoyed this movie. Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton gave amazing performances as the Joker and Batman. JN just made his character crazy but also scary as you'd want any Villian to be. He gave such powerful depth to what was only a Comic Book character. It was fantastic to see come to pass during the movie.

The Silence of the Lambs: This film freaked me out. But it a really good way though. It made one love to be scared. It wasn't the Horror part of it either. The suspense of it was breathtaking. I just loved it. It will always be one of my favorites.

10. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    I think Batman came out in 1989. But I might be wrong. I agree with everything you said about it, though. :D

11. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    I've never seen The Usual Suspects. Is it worth seeing even if you know the "twist" at the end?

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Batman did indeed come out in 1989. Not a 1990s movie.

13. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Wasn't "Saving Private Ryan" a 2000 movie?

14. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    It came out in the summer of 1998.

15. DarthBeer

DarthBeer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 11, 2002
    braveheart, hands down has to be my favorite non-star wars movie of all time, not just the 90's

fight club is excellent, as is american beauty and schindlers list. speaking of which, schindlers list is a great movie, but i dont know anyone who has seen it more that twice, obviously because it is so emotionaly draining. i saw it twice, but i dident want to see it again, but we saw it for history class in high school.

im kinda suprised no one has mentioned memento. though it is not one of my top 5, i thought it was very original and a worthy of a mention

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I don't think Memento was a 90s film , was it?

17. a. block

a. block Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 1999
    I would say that the a lot of the films mentioned I don't like very much. I hate "The Usual Suspects". I'm still not sure what to think about Spielberg and his shooting eye, therefore I'm not too fond of "Schindler's List" and "Saving Private Ryan". I say this not to antagonize you guys, just stating how I feel, so don't bust my balls too bad.
    Anyhoo, some of my favs that I can think of include, "Sling Blade", "Heat", "The Virgin Suicides", "The Player", In The Company Of Men", "Leaving Las Vegas". Actually, I had to stroll through imdb's highest ranked movies by decade to refresh my memory. I'll try and figure out what else hit me. I wish I could think of some foreign films, because I usually like them better.

18. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    I don't think Memento was a 90s film , was it?

Memento was released in 2000 (according to IMDB), so you could pretty much go either way. I guess it depends on which decade you think 2000 is in.

Personally, I don't consider it a film made in the 1990s.

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hatter... I would watch The Usual Suspects if I knew the twist ending... I mean, I do, and I've seen it 14 times since I knew it ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. Wardo_Fett

Wardo_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2002
    Forrest Gump, definately.

21. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    For me, the best film of the 90's was "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me", David Lynch's poorly-received prequel to the TV series. A truly stunning film that pulls the viewer into a world of dreamlike logic, it is by turns funny, terrifying, tragic, surreal, horrifyingly violent and heartbreakingly beautiful. While I don't technically think it's Lynch's best film, it is my favorite Lynch film. A haunting and challenging example of film as Art. It's not for everyone, but I highly recommend giving it a try. It's brilliant.

22. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    If Momento was released in 2000, it was likely made in the 90's.

23. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    True, but when categorizing films by decade, the year of the film's release is used most often.

24. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Besides Star Wars,
    1.The Matrix
    2.X-Men
    3.Halloween 6
    4.Billy Madison

25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    This is not a list forum.

If you post a list, you've got to discuss your thoughts on the films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.