main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Best of Us - J/J, Han - post-NJO AU ...A Special Thank You...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by oldjedinurse, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Title: The Best of Us
    Author: oldjedinurse
    Timeframe: Immediately post-NJO, before TJK - AU
    Characters: Jaina Solo, Jag Fel, Han Solo, Leia Organa Solo, Jacen Solo, canon characters
    Genre: Drama
    Keywords: Jaina, Han, Jag
    Summary: Jaina makes a life-altering decision that infuriates and alienates her father, and leads to life-threatening consequences for all of her loved ones.
    Notes: Completed

[image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/jedihealerone/COVER.jpg]

The sequel to Best of Us: Nothing is Certain

Disclaimer: I am merely playing in a park dedicated to the Lucas Empire. George Lucas owns everything Star Wars. He and a stellar group of authors own the many characters brought to life in books full of SW stories. I own nothing ? I?m in this for the fun of it.

Special Character Note:

The part of Berel Scripsen is being played by our own Rebel_Princess89! Don't miss her entrance in Chapter Twelve.

Her award-worthy performance will continue!

oldj

The Best of Us

Prologue

Jaina Solo woke up to the now familiar coldness of winter on Zonama Sekot. She reached to pull the thick comforter up to her shoulders. As she did so, her hand touched warm skin that didn?t belong to her.

Jag.

Closing her eyes, she replayed the last eight or so hours. The highlights, anyway, and there were quite a few of those. Satisfied yet again, she carefully rolled to her side and watched him.

Jagged Fel. We?ve been ? what? Friends, partners, wingmates, and now, lovers? I told you that I couldn?t go to Csilla with you, for now. You were disappointed but you understood. Then we kissed and talked for hours, and came here to my temporary quarters, and...well.

Where do we go from here? I still don?t want to go to Csilla. There are other things for me to take care of right now. I need to decide what to do with my life. I need downtime. I need time to myself.

Jaina watched as Jag took a quick, deep breath and stretched before finally waking. Green eyes met brown. One smile called for another. ?Good morning, Colonel. You?re out of uniform.?

Jag laughed, then quickly sobered as he reached out to touch the chocolate silk of her hair.

?As are you, Colonel.?

He, too, was remembering the hours they?d just spent together. He needed time to think. Desperately. He glanced at his chrono.

?Kriff. Jaina, I have to report in. I?m late. I?ve got to get out to my ship.? He was already out of bed and pulling his clothes together. Jaina watched him and listened without comment. Nice view from here.

?I don?t have to leave Sekot just yet.? He pulled the flightsuit up over his broad shoulders and started the zipper. You look so beautiful lying there. ?Let me take care of business, then maybe we can get some breakfast??

?Sure. I know this wonderful little place on the other side of the ice-covered meadow...right next to where my father parked the Falcon.?

?Very funny.?

?Good thing my Dad?s not a Jedi. One look and then we?d be...?

?Dead?? Jag winced. He didn?t relish facing Han Solo under those circumstances.

Jaina noticed his discomfort. ?Okay. Seriously. I can find us something and bring it back here.?

Jag nodded, then leaned over and kissed her lightly. ?I?ll be back.?

Jaina had set a small table for their meal when Jag returned. It was obvious that his report had not gone well, or else something new was happening ? he looked so serious. Almost as grim as when I first met him.

?Jag? What?s going on??

He had been avoiding her gaze. Now he slowly raised his head, those familiar eyes finding hers.

?I?ve bee

2. Jedi-Jade

Jedi-Jade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 1999
    Great start! I can't wait to see where you take this!

3. KnightedRogue

KnightedRogue Jedi Master star 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Oh, my. Now what would Jaina do to make Han that mad? :D Lovely intro - I don't do J/J fics, but I'm very interested to see where you take this!

Wonderful work!

*KR*

4. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Jedi-Jade:

Great start! I can't wait to see where you take this! :D

Thanks a lot! I have a plan...

KnightedRogue:

Now what would Jaina do to make Han that mad?
    What indeed? It may not be a total surprise, but its a twist...

I don't do J/J fics, but... :D
    This isn't ONLY a J/J fic, so hopefully there'll be enough other characters and action to keep you interested!

Thanks so much for reading - especially since you're not a J/J'er - and for the encouragement!

oldj

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, dang, I want that next post. You've got a really strong talent for writing emotions in clear-cut ways.

6. lurker2209

lurker2209 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    This is really amazing. I wonder what Jaina does that makes Han so mad, I can't see him getting really upset about Jag leaving, at least not at her. And he might be mad at her for sleeping with him, but would he disown her? I think you've got something really clever up your sleave and I can't wait to see what it is. If you are PM'ing people about updates to this, add me to the list.

~Lurker

7. ChissGoddess

ChissGoddess Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    sa-weet. I totally love how you started this off...very moving. I'll definately be back to read the 1st chapter :D

-CG

8. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    My, you've been busy today :p

Nice view from here.

Pervert.

Jag nodded, then leaned over and kissed her lightly. ?I?ll be back.?

You're supposed to put on sunglasses when you say something like that. :p

So Jag is off to the Unknown Regions to prepare for... something. Really liked the way you made him choose between duty and Jaina. Jaina convincing him to go is exactly what she would do, but I wonder if she wasn't half relieved about going to Csilla being out of her hands now, so her rejection didn't matter [face_thinking] Some good mush in there as well ;)

Good post :)

9. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Ishy:

Thanks so much! Chapter 1 will be up soon - promise.

Lurker2209:

Happy to see you have so many questions! I'll keep you posted, for sure.

ChissGoddess:

Thank you! This is going to be a bumpy ride...

YodaKenobi:

:cool:

Who's a pervert?? :eek: [face_laugh]

Nice analysis, by the way. And another big thanks!

oldj :cool:

10. zettazofia

zettazofia Jedi Master star 2

Apr 12, 2004
    Ooh, great start.
    I was very interested before the teaser, but that teaser makes it even more promising. :)
    Can't wait to find out what's caused this.
    -Zetta

11. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    :eek:

I can't see Jaina doing ANYTHING that would get Han to disown her! After all, his life has been a bit on the shady side, especially before he met Leia. :eek:

Short of turning into a Dark Jedi, or totally selling them out to some enemy (which isn't Jag), I can't think of any reason at all! :_|

Even if she married Jag, or had his baby, I just can't see Han doing that. It must be something truly terrible.

12. Gloria

Gloria Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    ! ! ! ! ! !

:eek:

This is gonna be good, I can tell. :cool: *camps out* [face_whistling]

13. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    OMG! this is gonna be so awesome! we all are like on the edge of our seats waiting for more like now!

Please PM all your Jaina/Jag stories to Jaina_Jag_Index in the following format (no mark-up codes please):

Title:
    Link to story:
    Link to your user profile:
    Co-Authors: (If applicable) And their user profiles
    Timeframe: (post NJO, post-Ruin, etc.)
    Characters:
    Genre: (romance, action, etc.)
    Keywords:
    Summary:
    Notes: (WIP, Complete, Vignette, etc., Awards it's won)

Thanks JG15!

14. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    zetta:

Can't wait to find out what's caused this.
    I won't make you wait too long!

And thanks for letting me know you enjoyed it so far.

GreatOne:

It must be something truly terrible.
    Or a combination of somethings...glad you like!

Gloria:

My first camper! Hope its warm out ... here's a blanket! **hands reader big fuzzy blankie**

Thanks!

JG15:

..awesome..
    I'll do my best! Thanks a lot!

J/J Index PM sent.

CHAPTER 1 will be up tomorrow!

oldj

15. JAGSGURL15

Jul 21, 2003
    Gives me something more to look forward to tomorrow as us here in texas start our TAKS testing which is a really reallly hard test that we have to pass to advance, and i have it all week, science tomorrow then math reading and history!

16. JediTristan

JediTristan Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    *huffs in*

I have a tent!

*drops onto ground in a flurry*

o NO!

What's gonna happen?!

I have a bad feeling about this....

Dude, the mush rocks. And the sadness...oh!

*sigh*

Wonderful.

-Tris

17. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    JG15:

Eeewwwww. What a week! MTFBWY!! [:D]

EDIT: By the way, I see you're a Steve Nash fan. Ah. A good old Canadian boy! :D

Tris:

**brings out another big fuzzy blanket**
    Even tents can be cold!

Thanks! I hope I can live up to expectations!

oldj

18. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Chapter One

Six weeks later...

Jaina locked eyes with her father. He had never looked so pale, or so old. Han Solo was almost never at a loss for words, but as he stared back at his only daughter his mouth gaped silently. Surely he hadn?t heard what he thought he?d heard. What did she say? Oh, no. Not his girl.

Not HIS girl.

?Oh, Jaina...sweetheart,? Leia broke the silence.

?You don?t need to ask, Mom. Everything is fine. We?re all fine.?

Jaina?s brown eyes broke away from Han to study Leia?s face. It was like looking into the future, seeing what Jaina herself would look like in the years to come. Her mother?s eyes, the exact color of her own, offered love and concern. Jaina suddenly felt her resolve crumbling and rushed into the waiting embrace of Leia?s arms.

Stang! I chose this. I promised myself I could manage it. Jaina pressed her face against her mother?s shoulder. I. Will. Not. Cry.

At that moment, Han Solo regained his vocal ability.

?JAINA! I don?t believe it.?

?Are you kidding??

?Are you sure?"

?Are you SERIOUS??

?Captain Solo, Sir, if I may, I do believe that Mistress Jaina seemed quite serious when she said ...?

Her father turned to point a finger at the golden droid. ?SHUT UP, Threepio, or they?ll never find all your parts!?

Jaina trembled slightly as she tried to regain her composure. Thanks for the distraction, Threepio. She hesitated, stepping back from Leia to study the shock on Han Solo?s face.
    ?Yes, Dad. I?m serious.?

She could feel Han?s temper rising in place of his disbelief as she continued.

?And I don?t want you to be angry with Jag. I planned this. Its what I wanted. I did everything I could to make it happen.?

?I knew he was going to go home. The CEDF assigned him deep in the Unknown Regions. They?ve given him a big promotion.? She drew the Force around her. ?I?ll probably never see him again.?

?And I wanted part of him to stay here with me.?

Han finally exploded. His color shifted to dark red. Blood vessels pulsed visibly along his neck and forehead. His voice was deep and rough with pain. Even Fel doesn?t deserve to be treated like this.

?So you?re telling us that you went out and got pregnant on PURPOSE??

?Yes.?

?And he didn?t know? You didn?t ask how he felt about it??

?No.?

?And you used the Force to ? to ? ?help? with this??

?Yes.?

A tight, ironic smile flashed briefly across his face. It didn?t match the look in his eyes.

?Well, excuse me for not being an expert or anything, but doesn?t that seem just a little bit ? WRONG?"

"Or maybe a little bit SELFISH?" Jaina jumped every time he emphasized a word at the top of his lungs.

?Han, please...? Leia moved to stand between father and daughter. ?Don?t say things that you?ll regret later.?

Han rubbed his face with both hands. How in all the Corellian hell fires had this happened? He thought he knew Jaina. But this...this was not the girl he had raised. The Jedi so carefully mentored by Mara. He turned his back on his daughter and wife.

?Are you even going to tell him?? Every word was left hanging by itself in mid-air.

?I don?t think that would be fair??

?FAIR? It wouldn?t be ?fair??? Han was stunned. I can?t believe I actually have to take Jag Fel?s side in this.

?Dad. You know Jag. He?d come back to take care of us. He?d give up everything he truly wants, everything he?s worked so hard for. He?d probably end up hating me for that.?

?I don?t want him to hate me, and I don?t want to be taken care of.? Her words came out in a rush, giving her father no room to respond. ?I want Jag to be everything he can be. If that means living up to Chiss expectations, then so be it.?

Jaina?s natural toughness was returning. Her chin tilted defiantly upward as she watched the tension in her father?s back.

?Okay. Fine. Leia, you go ahead and be all soft and supportive if you want. And I know that?s what you want.? Han spun around, his dark glare burning directly int

19. JAGSGURL15

Jul 21, 2003
    wahoo! that was great, now im off to school!

Thanx for the PM!

20. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Dang, yeah, that's what I expected had happened. Great scene.

21. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Wow. That is pretty bad of Jaina! I hope she comes to her senses. I'm glad Han wasn't ready to disown her just because she was pregnant. But the WAY she got PG! And to not tell Jag! That's just selfish. And mean. Not only to Jag, but the baby, too. No wonder Han is so upset. :( :(

22. Gloria

Gloria Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Uh oh. :eek:

Granted it was wrong of Jaina but.. Han come back! :_|

*grabs the fuzzy blankie*

23. lurker2209

lurker2209 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    Poor Jaina...she seems rather confused. She wasn't sure she wanted Jag, but apparently she really wants his baby? And she's not going to have much time to figure out her life if she's a single mom.

I hope Han comes around. I mean, what does he expect her to do about it at this point? And what in the world is Wedge going to say?

Well, you've got me asking questions, which means I'm intriuged. This is good so far.

~Lurker

24. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Wow! Awesome 'fic! I love the interaction between Jaina and Han, even though it ends up hurting Jaina.

some kind of 'force-sleep' Wow! I'd never thought of that! And Jag doesn't know!

I can't wait to see what happens next!

KT

25. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I knew when it said 6 weeks later she would be pregnant :p

?I knew he was going to go home. The CEDF assigned him deep in the Unknown Regions. They?ve given him a big promotion.? She drew the Force around her. ?I?ll probably never see him again.?
    ?And I wanted part of him to stay here with me.?

Jag didn't know?! That's a pretty crumby trick, I'm disappointed in Jaina :(

?Are you even going to tell him?? Every word was left hanging by itself in mid-air.
    ?I don?t think that would be fair??

:eek: It just gets worse!

?We raised our kids right. Jacen turned out right. Anakin was doing great until the Vong took him. I thought we had a daughter but it turns out she was just a phony and a cheat. As of today - we?ve got one kid, Leia. That?s all. We lost one to the war and Jacen?s still here. We don?t have a daughter.? His thumb flew in Jaina?s direction. ?I don?t know who this girl is.?

Han! :eek: He has to keep in mind that his daughter is carrying his grandchild. No matter how mad he is at Jaina he shouldn't say something like that :mad:

Jaina crumpled to the floor with a cry that shook Leia to the very centre of her being.

:( This is a very sad post. Can't wait to see what happens next though :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.