Beyond The Best of Us - J/J, Han - post-NJO AU ...A Special Thank You...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by oldjedinurse, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Constructed on a outcropping of bedrock, the atrium was a crystal clear globe. Its walls and ceiling arched from the doors behind them, reaching over their heads and curving back down to the foundation, where almost three meters of transparent floor made visible the crashing waves underfoot. Appreciative gasps could be heard from new arrivals as they absorbed the stunning effect of floating on an invisible platform between the magnificent ocean and glittering stars in the evening sky above.

I thought that was really beautiful. Great setting and wonderfully written. Very romantic too ;)

If Han can be such a good father, so could I.
    ?Tendra?? His mouth was dry, his voice raspy. ?I love you.

After the very sad story Lando told at the beginning of this fic, that is a very fitting way to end things for him here :)

Luke Skywalker looked on as technicians made minor adjustments to Han?s hoverchair.

I'm surprised Han hasn't made a lot of special modifications on that himself ;)

?In many ways, Leia, they are the best of us.?

Aww, title line [face_love]

Okay, that was really sweet and just perfect, oldj :D What a beautiful ceremony and you did such a wonderful job of describing everything. Liked that you included their vows and I really loved how Han gave his daughter away when he barely could. Go Han! :)

The perfect ending to a great fic. I look forward to the epilogue and any possible sequel in the future :) This has been a very special story, oldj, thanks for sharing it with us [:D]
  2. Draconarius Force Ghost

star 4
    That was INCREDIBLE, oldj!!!! =D= =D= :D :D

Rarely do books/movies get to me emotionally, but that did. Jaina and Jag's wedding was nothing short of magic. =D= It was so romantic...and you gotta love Han[face_love]!!

Can't wait for the epilogue, oldj. This was an INCREDIBLE fic. I enjoyed it IMMENSELY:)[:D]!! I also can't wait for this sequel you are talking about.[face_hypnotized]

Draco.
  3. Gloria Force Ghost

star 4
    Edit Bajillion thanks to..
    The following rules apply:

* Each message can only have up to 5 occurences of each face

[face_not_talking] :_| :rolleyes: [face_worried]

:mad::mad::mad:

[face_plain]

[face_frustrated] [face_frustrated]

- - -

Now I think I've conquered that smiley rule.. [face_frustrated] :D Not as.. grand.. a reply as I would have hoped :( - *glares menacingly at smiley rule* [face_not_talking] - but, I guess it works. :) Hopefully. [face_worried]

- - -

Disclaimer - Prepare to be blinded be an overuse of smileys. As usual. [face_talk_hand] [face_peace] :p

*thows self at the Nurse's feet* Please forgive the tardiness. I have caught the lurker bug, I?m afraid, doubled with procrastination of reply. There is no excuse for my pitiful absence. :_| [face_praying]

[face_worried]

Chapter Twenty-Five ? Part I

Nice Wedge characterization. ;)

He wasn?t used to being out of uniform. I can barely remember the last time I wasn?t a member of one military or another.
    Aww, but we love you anyway. :* [face_peace]

Senior Admiral Kre?fey, who just happens to be very familiar with your son?s work.
    [face_dancing]

?And he would like to speak with you personally, Soontir, to inquire what plans you have for yourself.?
    *doubles over in delight* [face_hypnotized] :D

"You're Jag's parents, right?" Myri inquired with her usual straightforward approach. Her sister was a little quieter.
    My perfect mental image of Myri, even though there's nothing to back it up. :D Kudos. :cool:

Chapter Twenty-Five, Part II
    This final chapter is for all my faithful readers (especially the J/J'ers and Han-o-philes). Thank you, one and all!
    [face_shhh] Give me a moment.. :_| :*

A family of five.
    [face_laugh] [face_mischief] [face_shhh] [face_peace] :cool:

?Thank you for telling me about Arennal.?
    [...]
    ?No, Tendra. Thank you.? He sighed before answering the question in her eyes. ?For hearing me out. For understanding. For being patient with an old gambler.?
    Tendra?s mouth turned slowly upward in a loving smile. ?Lando. You cared about her and you wanted your child. You weren?t responsible for what she was up to, or for what happened to them. It was Arennal who betrayed you.

[face_love] Aww! :_| :*

?It might get you killed some day, but you could never be anything else ? especially where Han is concerned.?
    [face_laugh] o_O [face_mischief] Gotta love it. :p

If Han can be such a good father, so could I.
    ?Tendra?? His mouth was dry, his voice raspy. ?I love you.

*squeals* :* :D

He had brought several, just in case.
    [face_laugh] Only a married man would know what to expect from a woman. And even then. :p :*

?Her ? moth?r ? an? ? I ? do!? Han spoke triumphantly.
    *beams* I can't even find a word to describe Han's.. adorableness in this fic? [face_love] =D= :cool:

Although Luke would gladly have stepped in for him, only Han Solo would present his daughter at her wedding.
    =D= [face_batting]
    Give me a moment.. *gets another tissue* [:D]

Jaina's going to hug Han.. Perfect! [face_love] :_| [face_batting] And then Jag, too! =D= [face_love]

?Jagged Fel, do you vow to love, honor and cherish??
    ?I so vow.?
    Wedge suppressed a pleased grin with a raised eyebrow. ?I see.?

[face_laugh] Go Jag. Can't stop
  4. oldjedinurse Jedi Master

star 4
    YK:

"Constructed on a outcropping of bedrock, the atrium was a crystal clear globe...the stunning effect of floating on an invisible platform between the magnificent ocean and glittering stars in the evening sky above."

I thought that was really beautiful. Great setting and wonderfully written. Very romantic too

Thank you. :) It is certainly beautiful in my head, although I really struggled to make that paragraph understandable. :p

After the very sad story Lando told at the beginning of this fic, that is a very fitting way to end things for him here

Thanks, again. Lando deserves to have a family, so I wanted to find a way to get him there that tied his past with his "present". [:D]

I'm surprised Han hasn't made a lot of special modifications on that himself

Well, ya' know, he would have, but the nurses kept stealing his hydrospanner. [face_laugh]

Aww, title line

Yeah. A little cheese never hurt anybody. Too much?? :rolleyes:

Okay, that was really sweet and just perfect, oldj What a beautiful ceremony and you did such a wonderful job of describing everything. Liked that you included their vows and I really loved how Han gave his daughter away when he barely could. Go Han!

I really appreciate that, YK, since I know you were hoping I'd kill somebody off or something. :D

The perfect ending to a great fic. I look forward to the epilogue and any possible sequel in the future This has been a very special story, oldj, thanks for sharing it with us

I'm grateful for your faithful readership and thoughtful responses, Yobi! And, of course, the Epilogue will need to be something of a lead-in to the sequel. [face_worried] Who knows what could happen...

Draco:

That was INCREDIBLE, oldj!!!!

Thanks so much! [face_blush]

Rarely do books/movies get to me emotionally, but that did. Jaina and Jag's wedding was nothing short of magic. It was so romantic...and you gotta love Han !!

Awww! Personally, I think its everyone's love for Han that made this emotional. He's not usually having to overcome odds like these. [:D]

Can't wait for the epilogue, oldj. This was an INCREDIBLE fic. I enjoyed it IMMENSELY !! I also can't wait for this sequel you are talking about.

THANK YOU! I'm so very happy that you enjoyed this. Its all my wonderful readers who make this worthwhile. [face_dancing]

Gloria:

Please forgive the tardiness. I have caught the lurker bug, I?m afraid, doubled with procrastination of reply.

Not a problem, Gloria! Lurkers are welcome in my fanfics. I know you're out there. :cool:

Nice Wedge characterization.

Thanks! I love Wedge, but I don't write him very often. I'm pleased you like him the way I see him! :D

My perfect mental image of Myri, even though there's nothing to back it up.

Really? That's great! Somehow, I think at least a few of us have the same impression of the Antilles girls. [:D]

Only a married man would know what to expect from a woman. And even then.

LOL! Tell me about it! [face_laugh]

I can't even find a word to describe Han's.. adorableness in this fic

Well, he just is ... everything ... isn't he? Ya gotta love him! [face_love]

There are no words, oldj , no words to describe the wonderfulness of this story. Most authors thank their faithful readers, but instead, I want to thank you. I?m not that grand with words, generally, so let me instead express my adoration like so...

Gloria, you make me [face_blush] !! Thank you is all I can say, really, and it makes me very, very happy to have enterta
  5. Gloria Force Ghost

star 4
    Gloria, you make me blush !! Thank you is all I can say, really, and it makes me very, very happy to have entertained you so much. That, and I'll add that you are very eloquent with smilies!
    [:D] [:D]
    And why thank you! :D :p

Just got back from Wal-mart after searching the house for loose change. Boga, baby! [face_love]

Now I must depart, I'll be gone the next few days. Anakin = Hayden = shirtless in RotS DVD. [face_talk_hand] :p O:)

[face_whistling]

:D
  6. AvenKiel Jedi Master

star 4
    Aww, so beautiful!! And so Han, that was perfect! And Thank You for finally explaining the title!!
  7. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I didn't find it for a few days and that did actually make me choke up, mostly because of Han! Wonderful! Congrats!
  8. Trepidation Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well put...and excellent finish (sans epilogue)... Thoroughly enjoyed it all...
    Cheers
    Trep
  9. DreamingIce Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    *takes proffered tissues and blows nose*
    Beautiful Oldj, just beautiful!:_| [face_love] [:D] =D=

Han was absolutly brilliant, still being his stubborn Corellian self, despite everything (or maybe becasue of it...);) [:D]

Jaina and Jag, well that wedding was just too precious, so there are no complaints here! Too magical for me to describe. =D= :D

And yippee for a happy ending for Lando & Tendra, they deserve it! [:D](and no-one else really seems interested in them as a couple...)

An excellent finshing ling too, minus the epilogue & sequel of course. (There is a sequel coming isn't there?[face_batting])

~Misha
  10. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Gah! I missed the first part of the chapter [face_blush]

A nice family reunion for the Fel/Antilles clan :) Sorry I didn't comment on it earlier [face_blush]

It is certainly beautiful in my head, although I really struggled to make that paragraph understandable.

I could picture it very easily :)

Well, ya' know, he would have, but the nurses kept stealing his hydrospanner.

[face_laugh]

Yeah. A little cheese never hurt anybody. Too much??

No, it wasn't bad :)

I really appreciate that, YK, since I know you were hoping I'd kill somebody off or something

No, I'm all talk :p I like happy endings ;)
  11. oldjedinurse Jedi Master

star 4
    AvenKiel:

Aww, so beautiful!! And so Han, that was perfect! And Thank You for finally explaining the title!!

Thanks, AK! Thought you'd enjoy Han's recovery. The title was always meant to be the last line in the last chapter - didn't want to keep you guessing!

Ish:

I didn't find it for a few days and that did actually make me choke up, mostly because of Han! Wonderful! Congrats!

Thanks, Ish. I made you choke up? *grins* That Han moment seems to have choked up a lot of people. Thanks again!

Trep:

Denning....ooops! I mean OldJ

Denning? You must be VERY confused! LOL!

Well put...and excellent finish (sans epilogue)... Thoroughly enjoyed it all...

Thanks, Trep! I'm pleased you like it - and even more so that you stopped in to read it!

Misha:

*takes proffered tissues and blows nose* Beautiful Oldj, just beautiful!

Uh-oh. The tissue makers are doing good business...

Han was absolutly brilliant, still being his stubborn Corellian self, despite everything (or maybe becasue of it...)

*grins* I think "stubborn Corellian self" explains everything... LOL!

Jaina and Jag, well that wedding was just too precious, so there are no complaints here! Too magical for me to describe.

Magical? Ooh, thanks! That's a really nice word!

And yippee for a happy ending for Lando & Tendra, they deserve it! (and no-one else really seems interested in them as a couple...)

They are rather ignored, arent' they? Maybe I'll have to do something about that some day.

An excellent finshing ling too, minus the epilogue & sequel of course. (There is a sequel coming isn't there? )

I appreciate your kind words, Misha. Sequel? Yes, there will be - I'm just not sure how soon I'll be able to start it!

YK:

A nice family ruining for the Fel/Antilles clan Sorry I didn't comment on it earlier

No problem! It was a minor detail, really.

"It is certainly beautiful in my head, although I really struggled to make that paragraph understandable."
    I could picture it very easily

I'm very glad that you could! The earlier versions were, um, not good.

No, I'm all talk I like happy endings

*Psst* I've always suspected that, but I didn't want to ruin the reputation you don't think you have.

Thanks to all!

~ oldj ~
  12. ShortySC22 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm glad I've caught up with this story. Amazing finish and an appropriate title. Absolutely adored this story! ^_^ I love how everything fit in and I'm just speechless now because I loved it so much. Good job.
  13. oldjedinurse Jedi Master

star 4
    @};- Thank you very much! I'm so happy that you enjoyed yourself reading this marathon piece, and will forever be grateful for everyone who made the journey.

[:D]

oldj
  14. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    *Psst* I've always suspected that, but I didn't want to ruin the reputation you don't think you have.

Thanks [face_blush]

*Waits patiently for the end* :)
  15. ImperialSpy Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have to say again that this is one of my favorite stories on these boards. It was this fic that finally made me stop lurking and register just so I could comment.

While waiting for the epilogue, I've gone back and done some rereading, which is only serving to remind what a fantastic story this is. I don't know what else I can say that hasn't already been said by your million othr adoring fans, but speaking for myself, this is a great fic. It's so emotional and just reaches into the heart.

[:D]

I'm glad everyone has a happy ending...well, except for Shawnkyr. She might have a place in the GFFA, but she's all alone and away from her people, the Fels aside. I hope she finds happiness.

And I love your Soontir. Your characterization of him is what I imagine him as.
  16. oldjedinurse Jedi Master

star 4
    Your wait is over ... I'm posting the Epilogue in about 30 minutes! :)

Wow. Thank you doesn't seem like enough, but it will have to do. I'm so pleased that you delurked, particularly because of this story! That's a great compliment. Its so gratifying to read your extremely kind words. They are appreciated! [:D]

There will be more Shawnkyr and Soontir (and everyone) in the sequel. BTW, its nice to know that someone else sees Soontir the way I do!

Okay, Epilogue up within the hour.

oldj
  17. oldjedinurse Jedi Master

star 4
    :)

One-hundred and sixty-one pages. 65,821 words. Rather long for what I originally thought was a very short story! This is, by far, the largest piece of writing I've ever attempted.

There is little I can say to express my undying gratitude to all of my amazing readers. So often, you kept me going when I really thought I couldn't write another word. Without you, this fanfic would never have been completed. You have been absolutely spectacular in sharing your views and offering your support.

Thank you all so very much!

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.
    ~ Margaret Cho ~

You have all changed mine.

~ oldj ~

Epilogue

Jaina let the hot water rain over her for almost half an hour. It was 30 minutes of luxury in the midst of chaos. Even at the height of the Yuuhzan Vong war, she had never found it quite this difficult to carve out a few moments for herself.

But now she was the mother of three.

The triplets had been born five weeks early. Hallie, though the eldest and largest, had nonetheless spent a some worry-filled days in the medward while her tiny lungs matured. Now she was pink and healthy and demanding as a baby can be. Her sister, Jara, came out screaming. She swung her little fists about with such intention that no one doubted she was her mother?s daughter.

Rand was youngest. Assaulted by evil at the time of his creation, he commanded a determined spirit that continued to prevail. From the day of his birth there was a sense of undeniable joy about him that, these days, brightened his most hardened admirers. Rand accepted with pleasure the attention lavished upon him, reaching out happily to greet life in return.

Their babies. Two months old tomorrow. Three tiny children who, by their very existence, had changed to many lives.

Towelling off at last, Jaina continued to let her thoughts drift. She and Jag had survived a long and twisting path to realize their marriage, and these days found themselves exhausted to the point of bickering much of the time. Despite the inherent happiness they brought, having children served to emphasize the couple?s differences. Jaina would leave the nursery in utter disarray, having fed and bathed and changed the babies in a never-ending cycle while Jag looked after his military command. The last thing he wanted to find when he returned home was dirty baby laundry piled on the floor, although he had admitted in one strangely nostalgic moment that it reminded him of Jaina?s quarters back on Borleias.

His sense of order and adherence to discipline compelled him to clean up after his wife on a daily basis, and that was a routine he would rather jettison. Jaina knew it; they?d talked ? and fought ? about it.

I wasn?t cut out for this, she worried silently. I should be over in the sim room teaching cadets, not running around here making sure the nanny droid follows orders. Aunt Mara keeps saying that we?ll find a routine that works and everything will be okay. I wish I believed her.

The ?fresher door slid open silently. Jaina stood in the entrance, transfixed by the sight on the other side of their bedroom.

They were all fast asleep. Jag was sprawled across her side of the bed. Rand?s face was nestled against his father?s neck, held tight by Jag?s left hand. Jara was curled in the crook of her father?s right arm, and Hallie lay on his chest, her fingers grasping his shirt. All four seemed to breathe in unison.

Jaina stood for a moment, committing the sight to memory. This is what I need to remember. This is why I love you, Jagged Fel. She crept quietly onto the bed beside them.

Only Jag?s eyes fluttered open. He scanned the trio clutched to his body for signs that anyone else was waking up.

?I think we?re safe for the time being,? he looked at Jaina. ?Feel better??

She winced, recalling their argument earlier. ?I?m sorry for what I said, Jag.? Ja
  18. Mirax_Corran Force Ghost

star 4
    First post!

EDIT - What an ending! :_| for Lando and Tendra adopting! :_| for Jaina and Jag arguing! :^) for Han saying "I have a bad feeling about this."
    This was a totally fabulous story. I'm going to miss it, but I'm very glad about the sequel! [:D]

~Myra
  19. PonyTricks Force Ghost

star 4
    Eek! That was a very high tension, cliff-hanging epilogue! :eek: [face_thinking] :eek: (and I had to cut/paste it to read it! My monitor can't handle all those ****** :p)

I can't WAIT for the sequel! [face_dancing]
  20. AvenKiel Jedi Master

star 4
    Evil is a mild word for what you've done to us Old J!!

I loved it though, you've kept me more than entertained, and I CAN'T WAIT!! for the sequel!

21. Golden_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Oooooooooooh!

Not fair!

(See you in the next one)

Congratulations!
  22. goddess45 Jedi Master

star 4
    OOOOO you MEAN:(

mean mean author!!

the last great post makes up for it... and dec 18th isn't too long away:cool:

great job OJN@};- I'll be here for the sequal!!
  23. JediTristan Jedi Master

star 3
    *LE GASP*

Wow. Just...wow. Thank you for being so willing to make things good and then spin some reality on them- just what this piece needed, in fact. Man! I totally get both sides...it's hard to be around people all day every day making sure that they are safe and cared for and learning and and and and and...

(though that STILL doesn't excuse Leia, IMHO)

It's hard to have that constantly beating at you, and to have to constantly reevaluate yourself against weird situations and boredom.

La.

Anyway, this just makes my day. I've developed a love for realism (in fic if not in life :D) and you along with Inara are filling that void for me.

Yay for that!

I won't be sad that this is the end, because there is a sequel.

AWESOMENESS...

P.S.-
    YOU quoted the queen of all things fantastic!!

I LOVE YOU!

...yay for ursula le guin. She is my hero. If I could be anyone, I would be her.

24. RebelMom Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Jaina and Jag are really going to have to work at their marriage. Having that many children at one time is stressful enough. Having to learn how to be married is hard without that.

What have you done to Lando and family? Give them a happy ending and then poof! they disappear.

good thing the sequel isn't too far away.
  25. CommanderK23 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm still around, [face_blush] DRL is being a major pain at the moment. [face_frustrated]

But excellent work, oldjedinurse. =D=

Love seeing Han back up and about. :D

What an evil cliffy you've given us... [face_thinking] Very interesting... o_O

;) Please, PM me when you start the next one.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.