main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vancouver The Best of Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by lord-darkhelmet, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    In its latest issue, the Georgia Straight listed the "Best of Vancouver" in a whole whack of different categories; some serious, some humourous. In this thread you can name the best <whatever> in Vancouver or the Vancouver area.

- Best value for your sports entertainment dollar: The Vancouver Giants; tickets are $16-$18 and you get to see world-class junior level hockey at the Pacific Colesium.

- Best place for books: [new] The Granville Book Company; downtown on Granville (no, really?) it has a great selection of stuff with lots of sci-fi and it's open late. [used] The ABC Book and Comic Emporium; also downtown on Granville, I could seriously get lost in this place for hours.

- Best fun ride: Skytrain; you just never know who (or what) will get on next.

- Best place for second-hand wacky-tobaccy: Commercial Drive; you may not see anyone smoking it, but you sure can smell it.

- Best place to see men dressed as women: Davie Street; hey some of them ain't bad lookin' either.

2. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2002
    yeah, I love Granville BookStore. They will always go out of their way to help a customer.

I remember ordering something from Japan, even though it wasnt available in their suppliers, the owner told me to give him 2 weeks, and then the phone rings. He got me the book from Japan, and he even gave me a discount and whatnot.... Thats the best place to go in my book!! :D

Regarding Davie... I dont even wanna go there... I worked for a year on Davie Street. It was fun and all, but it gets creepy at night. But you know what they say, "Being straight on Davie is like being White in the NBA!!!" :D

3. lord-darkhelmet

Sep 10, 2003
    Yes, I love the customer service at the Granville Book Company, the staff there is the greatest. Their recommendations are pretty good too, although I haven't had time in recent months to dive into a novel. They've also got a good selection of magazines including my favourite, Fantasy & Science Fiction.

4. SquallLeonhart

SquallLeonhart Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2004
    Tinsletown us by far the best theatre! They have the most ridiculously comfortable seats, and nobody goes there so the theatre is usually empty. That's my two bits...oh, and welcome back Helmet, where ya been? Speaking off...where have I been? Oh, it's all so terribly confusing...

5. lord-darkhelmet

Sep 10, 2003
    Hi Mike, good to see you're still around.

Ya I dedicated a couple months to code my website for a business I'm trying to start. I found I had very little discipline when I was working "whenever I felt like it" so I had to force myself to do nothing but work on this thing. Anyway, I sent you a PM, and you can get a hold of me more reliably through email. As you've probably noticed I never really log into my Yahoo messenger thingy; I should probably take it out of my profile as people may think I actually use it.

Ok, back on topic.

- Best place to buy comics and browse a bunch of other weird stuff: Golden Age Collectables; I just bought a bunch of Star Wars comics there today, and I also noticed they had sea monkey figures!? Sea monkeys! Man that brought back memories.

6. lord-darkhelmet

Sep 10, 2003
    - Best place to find food from around the world: the strip of Kingsway near Joyce (where I live); within walking distance you can find restaurants serving Indian, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Philipino, Italian, Greek, and Chinese food; and there's even a Starbucks (ya, I know, they're everywhere). Who needs airmiles when I can walk around the world in a couple of blocks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.