main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Best Scene Using the Imperial March

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth_Vader-Anakin, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cam_Mulonus

Cam_Mulonus Jedi Master star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    One of my favorites is when the IM is used during the shot showing the Millenium Falcon on the back of the command tower of the Avenger . It's SO powerful and military-like.

2. HMSInvincible

HMSInvincible Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    I agree with you... when the imperial fleet begins to break up... that is an excellent use of the IM.

3. darth_brutus

darth_brutus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I'd have to put my order as:

1. Palpatine looking over the army in AOTC. The lead in to it is fantastic aswell.
    2. The Emperor arrives at Death Star II
    3. The appearance of the Imperial Fleet in ESB (The first time we hear it)

4. JediKnightKyyzo

JediKnightKyyzo Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2002
    Got to give it to the new version...when Anakin confesses to Padme about slaughtering the Tusken raiders. It's a very subtle version of the hymn, but it tells so much of the future.
    But i still most bring up two other great times...that is the first time it is played in it's entire version...when he see the SuperStar Destroyer.
    And then in ROTJ, when the Emperor arrives

-Kyyzo

5. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    The best times when the Imperial March is utlilized....

Confession scene in AOTC.

In TESB, after Vader's revalation to Luke to which he replies, "No!!! That's not true! That's impossible!!"

6. darth_sidious1

darth_sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2002
    The best scene with the Imperial March... oh, what a choice!
    Well, besides the formal concert version, for loud versions of it:

#1: "The Emperor Arrives" in RoJ. When Palpy shows up, it's just so grandiose and thuderous, with that short, "scared" part in the middle, with the strings and solo horn, followed by more pomp and circumstance, morphing into Palpy's own theme. Cool. Of course the scene had something to do with it, too. Nothing like having ten million stormtroopers all snapping to attention at once to give a musical piece that extra little kick.

#2: When Darth arrives (just after the openig title. I love that secondary motif leading into it. I don't know quite how to describe it, you hear it more on the CD than in the movie. It's kind of a dark military sound. Works great leading into Vader's theme.

#3: The ATOC finale. Begun this Clone War has! It would be #1, but for some reason it seems a little flat. Maybe it's just my speakers, though.

For quieter versions...

#1: Darth Vader's death. The harp, the strings, need I say more? (sniffle... pass the hankies)

#2: That bit where they're trying to sneak onto Endor using the shuttle and the passcode. It keeps going back and forth between Luke and Vader's themes, both played quietly and slightly mournfully. Ratchets up the tension like crazy.

7. JediKnightKyyzo

JediKnightKyyzo Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2002
    Good line-up my friend. Wow i miss those versions, in fact i think i'll plug in ROTJ right now, just to listen. But as a loud version...yeah i got to give it to when the Emperor arrives on the Death Star II. Such a great scene.
    Well of course you should know...Agent of the dark side

-Kyyzo

8. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Let's use this thread for IM discussion. :)

9. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Is it allowed to talk about it how it appears in the context of the scores and not the films? Last time I saw the OT films was in 1997, and can't recall correspondence with visuals.

My absolute favorite rendition of it is in ''Approaching the Death Star''. It has a strange sound not used in other renditions (did they use synth/keyboards as well?) and sounds almost gothic.

''The Emperor Arrives'' also includes the best full presentation of it in an underscore cue.

''Darth Vader's Death'' - The Imperial March gone sentimental. ;) Nuff said. Great.

10. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    My vote goes to the end of AOTC. I love it! :cool:

11. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Is it allowed to talk about it how it appears in the context of the scores and not the films?

Of course. :)

''Approaching the Death Star''

Do you mean the cue that is in Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor on the ROTJ: SE?

I love that cue as well, where the IM gets mixed with the Force Theme.

12. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    My absolute favorite rendition of it is in ''Approaching the Death Star''.

Absolutely. This has always been my favorite Star Wars opening film score. I swear the most amazing uses of the IM are in Jedi and Clones...

13. batvader

Dec 23, 2002
    Do you mean the cue that is in Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor on the ROTJ: SE?
    You got me there. All I know is that it's track 1 on the first CD of the SE ROTJ :)

It's funny, but while the Imperial March is TESB's signature theme, ROTJ and AOTC have better full presentations in underscore cues. I agree on that.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Perhaps stepping away from the IM for three years and then again for 16 years gave Williams some space and perspective to really give it a good whirl? Whatever the reason, I heartily look forward to what he does with the IM in Episode III... and possibly what he adds to ANH...

15. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Whoops...for some reason I was thinking of the Tydirium part, one of may favorites. But yeah, I think it is scored into the opening scene in ROTJ really well...Vader walking down the shuttle ramp and putting them "back on schedule".

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah Ken I was wondering what you were saying, but I did not wanna contradict a Mod...

:D

17. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I also just have to agree that RotJ has awesome uses of IM.

And I listened to Approaching the Death Star and Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor while building my Lego-Lambda :D

Where I really like the IM, too, is in Father&Son (RotJ:SE CD2, Track3)
    Nice piece of music, but awful trackname :p

18. Admiral_Ozzy

Admiral_Ozzy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2003
    For some reason I always imagine Lord Vader dancing with pomp to this tune with the cape swirling around him.

19. stradman

stradman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2002
    Dancing Vader....Truly disturbing this is. ;)

I think that the most dramatic use of the IM was Vader's death. But I think that the most powerful version of the IM is in AOTC. JW really gave the IM a renewed life with more energy.

20. batvader

Dec 23, 2002
    Of course, a nice use of the theme (that works better on film) is in EP1 when Obi Wan and Yoda talk about if Anakin should be trained (just before Qui-Gon's funeral). Good foreshadowing through music.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah I really like so many uses of the IM. But it's interesting to me that all of them are in ROTJ or AOTC... I think I've said this before though. I've been listening to Dawn of the Empire a LOT lately... turned ALL the way up in my truck (very loud I might add) and it just moves me far more than any other version of the IM ever has.

And I listened to Approaching the Death Star and Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor while building my Lego-Lambda

Why can I just picture Senny sitting on the floor in his room surrounded by Legos building his shuttle and humming bum bum bum bah bah bum bah bah bum!!! This is why I love Senny so much... he's like a big kid! :)

[face_love] Senny

22. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I was sitting on my bed, but the rest is.... spot-on right :D :eek:

Thanks for noticing the big kid thing. I don't like being/ becoming an adult.

Back to the Imperial March. ;)

23. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I'm going to have to go with when Vader is on the bridge of the Executor. That was incredible and just made Vader that much cooler.

24. LadyYoda

LadyYoda Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2002
    I've always really loved the IM in the first trilogy. Its use in the carbonite pit just gives me the creeps, but otherwise I revel in its power during the more military scenes. The best military scene would have to be Vader and his star destroyers. Then the "dawn of the empire." I always thought that the march sounded like it was building something, that something being the empire (really huge and powerful). It's use at the end of AOTC was fitting.

The IM's most touching use would of course be the funeral of Darth Vader (or Anakin, depending on which way you look at it). however, I have a feeling that this will change in Ep III. The best is yet to come. JW will not dissapoint. Do not under estimate the power of the darkside!

25. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    The IM's most touching use would of course be the funeral of Darth Vader

You mean the "death" of Darth Vader, right? That is touching.

Of course, Vader's funeral is scored with the Force Theme in Light Of The Force (or Funeral Pyre For A Jedi). ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.