main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Beta Reader Index v4.1 and Concrit Index -- April 2008 Update (New Info + Survey)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by BetaReaderIndex, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BetaReaderIndex

BetaReaderIndex Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2005
    Mav Edit: This thread is now locked, please see the new Beta Readers Index.

The Beta Reader Index v4.1

Welcome!

This index is similar to the previous ones, but this time around the volunteers are organized by era. Some beta readers may be listed more than once as their interests lie across the different eras. All listed entries have been checked to make sure all information is up-to-date and relevant.

The first several posts will all be indexes, and then those needing a beta reader may use the index to ask for whatever services they need.

Rather than clogging up Fan Fiction Resource with a number of individual threads asking for beta reading services, please look over the index here and contact a Beta Reader. You may also post requests in this thread (you can follow the form below if you wish). Also, please try to keep it to one or two beta readers. If you feel like you need more or if you need additional ones to submit a piece to the archives, then you can ask others. Also, betas on these boards generally beta things for these boards. If you need a beta but are not planning on posting your story here, we suggest that you look for betas on the board you're posting on. This Index and the betas listed are for TF.N fanfic only. This thread will be a regularly updated record of who is willing to volunteer to beta-read, as well as who needs a beta reader.

The Beta Index is how combining with the ConCrit Index. Constructive criticism is when a reader gives the author of a story some helpful feedback, like what the author is doing right, what should be fixed, and some suggestions on how to fix them. There are stories and authors listed below who would like concrit. Each story is not limited to one person, so please check them out.

There is also a list of workshopping threads, gathered and provided by ophelia. She has also made a concrit Q&A to give you a better idea of what it is.

In order to understand how this works, please read through the following:

[B]What is a Beta Reader?[/B]

A beta reader is someone who works with an author to provide critical and constructive feedback, including help with spelling/grammar, continuity, pacing, plot and/or characterization before the work is published on the boards. They can tell you what is working and why and what is not working and offer suggestions on how to improve it. A good beta reader is an excellent resource to any author.

[B]How Does the Index Work?[/B]

The index provides listings of all the members willing to beta read. In addition, the index will be holding discussions about beta reading and interviews with betas about their different techniques and experiences.

[B]Beta Reading Volunteers[/B]

By answering the form at the bottom of this post and PMing it to the [link=[url]http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=1225946]BetaReaderIndex[/link][/url], your name and information will be added to the directory.

[B][COLOR=darkred]PLEASE NOTE[/COLOR][/B] that a beta-readers' application is a sample of their work. If the beta wants to make a good impression on a writer in search of a beta-reader, they should make sure that they present themselves professionally. We will check all applications and post them with correct markup codes. To avoid any conflict, we will post every application received. However, we will not edit any listing that is sent to us for grammar or spelling, so all writers: What you see is what you get.

[B]Writers in Search of a Beta Reader[/B]

Writers in need of help should look for a beta reader that fits a description that suits them best. They should contact the volunteer through his or her preferred method of contact (PM, e-mail, Instant Message).

If there is no suitable reader available or you need a reader with a specialty not listed then you may post in thread requesting help.

[B]The Beta Readers Code of Conduct[/B]

To make finding and working with betas a smooth and easy process, we ask that everyone kindly follows the following policies.

[ul][

2. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
    BEFORE THE SAGA

Username: KELIA
    Preferred method of contact: PM
    Areas of Interest: The Saga, Before. I eally don't know much about Beyond.
    Strong points: Humor, Drama, Romance
    First Language: American-English
    FCA?S (focus correction areas): Grammar/spelling, pacing
    Limit: No Limit
    References/Credentials: I've betaed several stories for myself, which are in my profile and I've also betaed for all my current/former Padawans. Most recent are 92SE-R?S To The Edge of the Night And my own current work A Necessary Deception
    Fun Fact: I share a birthday with Anakin Skywalker, himself ? Hayden Christensen.
    DATE ADDED: 2/20/06
    DATE UPDATED: 2/26/08

Username: princess_of_naboo
    Status: 0 - only taking short stories or vignettes currently
    Areas of Interest: EU, AU, canon, OT, KOTOR, post-OT, pre-PT, PT, YJK, NJO, LOTF, post-LOTF. Pretty much everything.
    Strong points: Humor, drama, angst, adventure.
    FCAs (Focus Correction Areas): Grammar, spelling, canon issues, plot, characterization, locating and excising overly Earth-like terms that clash with Star Wars universe.
    First Language: American English
    Limit: 2
    References/Credentials: My most recent beta-work was the vignette There is Another by NYCitygurl for entry into the Fan Fiction Archives. I was the beta for several chapters of The Lost Sword and Shattered Mirror for rebel_cheese. I have also beta-ed The Battle of the Clans for Jaina_Trickster. I am sporadically writing Reports from the Corellian Conflict and my other works can be found in my profile.
    Fun Fact: I am Accounting/Finance major and proof-read papers for students in the English department of my university.
    DATE ADDED: 6/27/06
    DATE EDITED: 2/26/08

Username: NYCitygurl
    Areas of Interest: PT characters, OCs
    Strong points: Romance, drama, mush, humor, angst
    FCAs (Focus Correction Areas): Grammar, plot line, characterization, continuity
    Limit: no limit
    References/Credentials: I have, at one time or another, been a beta for JDH3, Jaina_and_Jag, Jaina_Solo_15, AERYN_SUN, DCWIZ00, BottledUpInside, padawanlost, Idrelle_Miocovani and others.
    Fun Fact: I've got a reputation for being an evil author.
    DATE ADDED: 8/14/05
    DATE UPDATED: 4/9/08

Username: VaderLVR64
    Areas of Interest: OT, PT, intertrilogy, JA, NJO - pretty much anything Star Wars!
    Strong points: I?m not sure, but I write a lot of drama and angst, though I attempt humor on occasion.
    FCAs (Focus Correction Areas): grammar, pacing, characterization, plot line
    Username: [http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=1067681]VaderLVR64[/link]
    Second Language: **
    Limit: 3 (depending on length)
    References/Credentials: I?ve beta read several pieces that have been accepted into the A

3. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
    THE SAGA

Username: Idrelle_Miocovani
    Areas of Interest: Saga, NJO, post-NJO, post-ROTJ, far future, time travel, crossovers
    Strong points: Action/Adventure, Humor
    FCAs (Focus Correction Areas): Grammar/Spelling, Description, Plot, Pacing/Narrative
    First Language: British English
    Second Language: French
    Limit: Depends on the length: two long (ie. more than one post) and no limit on vignettes and one-posters.
    References/Credentials: I've edited original fiction for friends, and several fanfics on this site and others.
    Fun Fact: I have an obsession with time travel stories and I've carried canoes up and down rocky slopes on hideous portages.
    DATE ADDED: 08/14/05
    DATE UPDATED: 04/26/08

Username: KELIA
    Areas of Interest: The Saga, Before. I eally don't know much about Beyond.
    Strong points: Humor, Drama, Romance
    First Language: American-English
    FCAâ??S (focus correction areas): Grammar/spelling, pacing
    Limit: No Limit
    References/Credentials: Iâ??ve betaed several stories for myself, which are in my profile and Iâ??ve also betaed for all my current/former Padawans. Most recent are 92SE-R?S To The Edge of the Night And my own current work A Necessary Deception
    Fun Fact: I share a birthday with Anakin Skywalker, himself â?? Hayden Christensen.
    DATE ADDED: 2/20/06
    DATE UPDATED: 2/26/08

Areas of Interest: EU, AU, canon, OT, KOTOR, post-OT, pre-PT, PT, YJK, NJO, LOTF, post-LOTF. Pretty much everything.
    FCAs (Focus Correction Areas): Grammar, spelling, canon issues, plot, characterization, locating and excising overly Earth-like terms that clash with Star Wars universe.
    References/Credentials: My most recent beta-work was the vignette There is Another by NYCitygurl for entry into the Fan Fiction Archives. I was the beta for several chapters of The Lost Sword and Shattered Mirror for rebel_cheese. I have also beta-ed The Battle of the Clans for Jaina_Trickster. I am sporadically writing Reports from the Corellian Conflict and my other works can be found in my profile.
    Fun Fact: I am Accounting/Finance major and proof-read papers for students in the English department of my university.
    DATE EDITED: 2/26/08

Areas of Interest: OT characters, pilots (Rogues), AU
    References/Credentials: I have, at one time or another, been a beta for JDH3, Jaina_and_Jag, Jaina_Solo_15, AERYN_SUN, DCWIZ00, BottledUpInside, padawanlost,

4. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
    BEYOND THE SAGA

Areas of Interest: NJO, post-NJO, EU, AU
    References/Credentials: I have, at one time or another, been a beta for JDH3, Jaina_and_Jag, Jaina_Solo_15, AERYN_SUN, DCWIZ00, BottledUpInside, padawanlost, Idrelle_Miocovani and others.
    Fun Fact: I've got a reputation for being an evil author.
    DATE UPDATED: 4/9/08

Username: Idrelle_Miocovani
    Areas of Interest: Saga, NJO, post-NJO, post-ROTJ, far future, time travel, crossovers
    Strong points: Action/Adventure, Drama, Humor
    FCAs (Focus Correction Areas): Grammar/Spelling, Description, Plot, Pacing/Narrative
    First Language: British English
    Second Language: French
    Limit: Depends on the length: two longer fics (ie. more than one post), no limit on vignettes and one-posters.
    References/Credentials: I've edited original fiction for friends and several fanfics on this site and others.
    Fun Fact: I have an obsession with time travel stories and I've carried canoes up and down rocky slopes on hideous portage trails.
    DATE UPDATED: 4/26/08

DATE EDITED: 2/29/08

Username: jade_eyes
    Preferred methods of contact: PM
    Areas of Interest: Post RoTJ; NR up to NJO; NJO; OT
    Strong points: action, romance, humor, drama; character preference: L/M and H/L.
    FCAs (Focus Correction Areas): grammar, spelling, plot, character
    First Language: English
    Second Language: N/A
    Limit: 1-2 longer fics; 2-3 viggies
    Fun Fact: I love jazz & sappy love songs; way past being a L/M fan--because the word fan is an understatement
    References/Credentials: It Started With a Kiss by Mira_Jade and Dark Betrayal by PatSkywalker39. Also, Mira_Jade's Raging Rose, a full-length Kyp/Mara fic. Also helped Jedi_Liz with Lightswords of Fury, S

5. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
    The Concrit Policy Index: Q&A

What is ?concrit??

?Concrit? is short for "constructive criticism," and largely came from the world of beta editing. When removed from the one-on-one world of betaing and introduced to a group, concrit (and its cousin, ?positive feedback?) become workshopping. It's basically beta reading with more people. The purpose of workshopping is for authors to post material they?re currently revising and ask, "Is this any good? Does this work?" Workshopping is especially effective if the author includes specific questions along with the story material: "Was that Han/Leia goodbye scene over the top in terms of emotion? Should I scale it back to something closer to, 'I love you,' 'I know?' What about Vader? Does his dialogue seem stilted? I somehow can't seem to capture the effect of JEJ's delivery in print," etc.

I want constructive criticism on a part of my story, and I found a Resource thread that seems to focus on stories similar to mine. Can I post my excerpt there and ask the ?regulars? for their opinion of my work?

Not necessarily. Resource threads have formats as well as general topics, and not all thread formats are good for workshopping. Furthermore, not all thread hosts want workshopping in their threads. Threads that have been designated as ?indexes only? or ?character discussions only? may not allow excerpt-posting of any kind. They also do not discuss authors' stories. Some game and challenge threads allow excerpt posting and encourage "feedback,? but with the unspoken caveat that the feedback should consist of positive comments only. These are not ?work? threads, they?re ?play? threads, where people can generate ideas without having to worry about whether someone else thinks they?re ?any good.?

That said, there are ?work threads? in the Resource forum, and they?re invaluable to any writer interested in improving his or her craft. The trick is in finding a workshopping thread that?s a good match for the story you?re working on, and then staying within its guidelines. (Writers who violate thread guidelines tend to get a chilly reception in a thread?-which is not how you want to start off a relationship with potential workshop-mates!)

This list was created in order to make the search for workshop threads easier, and to help new users avoid the mistake of posting excerpts where they aren?t allowed. The list consists of the concrit/workshopping policies of 43 of Resource?s ongoing writer-support threads, as of 6/5/06. The data was gathered directly from thread hosts or thread regulars, and so can be presumed accurate for the near future. (The links will be scanned periodically for accuracy, but if you?ve noticed that a thread has closed down or dramatically changed its concrit policy, please let BetaReaderIndex or ophelia know. You don?t need to be a thread host to do it?-in fact, if the thread is locked or appears long-abandoned, the host has probably given up on the thread or left the boards entirely. No index-keeper can keep close track of dozens of threads all at the same time, and so the input of ?regular users? is very important!)

But the thread I want to post in isn?t on this list!

If the thread you?re interested in is not on the concrit policy list, try checking its first post, which is where thread-starters usually put guidelines and basic information. Sending a PM to the thread starter or current host is another way to get questions answered. Some threads have pretty predictable formats that are easy to identify and imitate, if you just scan the thread?s first few pages. If all else fails, posting a question in the thread itself is preferable to just making a random guess and possibly posting excerpted material where it isn?t wanted. (If you do that, you?ll likely get branded a ?fic pimper? and possibly reported to the mods as a nuisan

6. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
    Symbol Key:

** = Concrit not allowed in thread
    ** = Concrit allowed in thread under some circumstances
    ** = Concrit always allowed in thread

[b][color=darkred]Concrit Policies of Ongoing Writer-Support Threads, A-F[/color]

[color=orange]**[/color][/b] [b]Thread Name: [/b][link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/23011160/p1/]The Allana Index and Discussion Thread [/link]
    [b]Thread Host(s), if any: [/b]Eleventh Guard
    [b]Thread Type:[/b] An index for Allana-centric stories and discussion about her.
    [b]Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? [/b] Yes
    [b]If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit?[/b] Anything within reason - 500 words, give or take some.
    [b]Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread?[/b] There is some, but for the most part, feedback goes on the
    fic itself.
    [b]Is concrit a typical part of the thread?[/b] No
    [b]Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any?[/b] If someone wanted concrit on a particular story that fits the thread purpose and requested it.
    [b]Host Note:[/b] It's more for discussion and alerts that new fics have been added to the index, but as long as a discussion is on-topic, it's good.

[b][color=orange]**[/color] Thread Name: [/b][link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/18446448/p1/?397]Anakin ?n? Tahiri?s Place [/link]
    [b]Thread Host(s), if any:[/b]Gr8terThanSumOfParts (Tahi, Thrawn McEwok, YodaKenobi)
    [b]Thread Type:[/b]Discussion/Articles/Challenges
    [b]Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome?[/b]Yes
    [b]If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit?[/b]We allow paragraph length excerpts in our magazine reviews or in the writers? news section.
    [b]Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread?[/b]No
    [b]Is concrit a typical part of the thread?[/b]It?s not typical, but it is acceptable if it?s related to the magazine articles.
    [b]Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any?[/b] Concrit of points raised in the magazine articles is allowed, especially where it can provoke useful discussion.

[color=red][b]**[/color][/b] [b]Thread Name:[/b] [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/22876656/p1/?56]Bail Organa Discussion Thread - Who Was This Guy Anyway?[/link]
    [b]Thread Host(s), if any:[/b] VaderLVR64 AKA ThePrinceOfAlderaan
    [b]Thread Type:[/b] Character discussion, index
    [b]Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome?[/b] No
    [b]If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit?[/b] N/A
    [b]Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread?[/b] No
    [b]Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any?[/b] None

[color=red][b]**[/color][/b] [b]Thread Name: [/b] [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/20905621/p1]Behind the Conference Room Door [/link]
    [b]Thread Host(s), if any: [/b] Tkeira_Lea, NYCitygurl, BigFatty
    [b]Thread Type:[/b] Index
    [b]Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome?[/b] No
    [b]If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit?[/b] N/A
    [b]Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread?[/b] We do have several people who do reviews of fanfics
    [b]Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any?[/b] Only if we were to run a special workshop, but that has yet to be discussed.

[color=orange][b]**[/color][/b] [b]Thread Name: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/18388320/p1][/b] Behind the Scars - A Yuuzhan Vong Characterization Thread[/link]
    [b]Thread Host(s), if any: [/b] Vongchild
    [b]Thread Type:[/b] Workshop/discussion
    [b]Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome?[/b] On occasion when there are questions about characterization of Yuuzhan Vong and Yuuzhan Vong related characters.
    [b]If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit?[/b] No more than needed. 500+ is frowned on.
    [b]Is fi

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Do not try to flip between your sock and your real alias while reserving things.

We'll pretend this post belongs to the BetaReaderIndex.

Sorry!

8. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
    Writer-Support Threads G - M

** Thread Name: Good Guys Wear White - The Clone Trooper Discussion Workshop
    Thread Host(s), if any: Kudzu
    Thread Type: Character workshop and story index
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? Sure, why not?
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? I'll say...600 words.
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? Unfortunately not, although I'd like to change that.
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? Whenever possible, it is encouraged.
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? Any

** Thread Name: How to Write Evil
    Thread Host(s), if any: Spike2002
    Thread Type: Uhm, Resource? Discussion/Index
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? Yes
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? About 2000-3000 words
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? Yes, if requested
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? Yes, along with advice
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? Any, especially if writers are in need of advice and help about their villains.

** Thread Name: Humor... The Last Shred of Sanity
    Thread Host(s), if any: Trimaj aka Son_of_Nut
    Thread Type: Humor, Disscussion/Challenge/Index
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? Yes, but has to be related, and wanting concrit. If solely for advertisement then it will be deleted.
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? Up to 1,000
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? Just started, hoping to make it part of it.
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? Just started, possibly.
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? If it's asked for, but it must be constructive. No tearing down of any sort. Given in thread, unless specifically asked not to be.

** Thread Name: I'll Trade You This Picture For 1,000 Words
    Thread Host(s), if any: ophelia
    Thread Type: Weekly challenge/game thread
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? It depends. If they relate in some way to one of the images in the thread, then yes. See the thread's first post for guidelines.
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? About 900 words, or roughly 3 pages in Word. Longer responses can be posted in their own story threads, and linked to in the 1000 Words thread.
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? Yes
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? No
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? Posters who want constructive criticism would be best off posting this fact along with their image responses. It would also be preferable to keep concrit discussions to PM's.

** Thread Name: Index of the Old Republic: KOTOR Index and Discussion
    Thread Host(s), if any: Commander-DWH
    Thread Type: Index/discussion
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? If they're relevant to the current topic, bring 'em on in.
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? Shorter would be better, I'd keep it to around 500 words. But I'm also not going to police it terribly unless you post pages upon pages all at once.
    Is fic feedback a typ

9. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
    Writer-Support Threads N - T

Thread Name: Obidala & Sabewan Fanfiction Archive
    Thread Host(s), if any: AERYN_SUN
    Thread Type: Fanfiction Archive and Obidala and Sabewan website recource
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? Small summaries and links are accepted
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? See above
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? Not really
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? no.
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? None

** Thread Name: The Obi-Wan and Siri Archive and Discussion Thread
    Thread Host(s), if any: Obi-Wan_Siri_Index
    Thread Type: Pairing Discussion/Index
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? No
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? N/A
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? No
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? No
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? Never

** Thread Name: OC Writers Anonymous
    Thread Host(s), if any: oqidaun
    Thread Type: Discussion and Mini-Challenges/Writing Exercises
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? In the context of the guided challenges and exercises writers are allowed to submit excerpts from works in progress. Unsolicited excerpts or excerpts that fall outside of the parameters of the discussion or minichallenge are not welcome. As a lot of the exercises are aimed at developing preexisting OCs or helping to craft new OCs, users often post WIP excerpts.
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? Word limit is determined by the current exercise and it varies between a few sentences to up to 1000 words.
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? Feedback and comments on the submission preceding your own is encouraged if the excerpt/piece is posted in the thread. Soliciting comments to a fic on the Era boards or discussing a fic off topic is discouraged and considered fic pimping.
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? Yes and No. Feedback is voluntary and typically only focuses on the previous submission.
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? It depends on the current topic of discussion or mini-challenge/exercise. This isn't a beta/concrit thread per se as writers are encouraged to use the exercises to explore character development on their own.

** Thread Name: Other Half: Skywalker & Solo Twins Index and Discussion
    Thread Host(s), if any: SpiritOfEowyn
    Thread Type: Discussion, Fanfiction Index, and challenge.
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? Yes
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? 500 words. Must be Twin related. :D
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? Only when requested by the author
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? It's not the main purpose of the thread, but characterization and plot are often discussed, Grammar occasionally.
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? As long as it's not attacking the author as a person, I'd be fine with it. ::shrugs:: If it ever becomes a problem, it will become restricted to author requested.

** Thread Name: Palpatine Character Discussion Thread
    Thread Host(s),if any: LLL
    Thread Type: Character discussion. Will eve

10. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
    Writer-Support Threads U - Z

** Thread Name:
    Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady - Padme Amidala Workshop Thread
    Thread Host(s), if any: leia_naberrie
    Thread Type: Character Workshop - Discussion & Challenge Thread
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome?: Only when requested and applicable to the present discussion.
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit?: Less than 600 words.
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread?: Yes, it is.
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread?: No, it is not.
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any?: If the writer specifically requests for it.

** Thread Name: You Can Take The Farmboy Off The Farm...
    Thread Host(s), if any: EmilieDarklighter
    Thread Type: Discussion-only common interest group
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? No.
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? N/A
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? No.
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? No.
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? None

11. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
    Below are stories and authors who would like constructive criticism on their stories. The idea is to read a story or part of a story, PM the author with constructive criticism, and therefore help the author to become a better writer.

When giving concrit, be nice. Say what you like as well as things that you think should be fixed. If a story or author is listed, that person wants feedback, but in all other situations, if it's not asked for, it might not be taken well. Don't forget to PM the author rather than giving concrit on the story or in this thread.

If you would like to recieve concrit on your story, PM this sock and send in a link, without mark-up codes, and it will be added to the list. If you will get touchy when people say that they think you should change something you've written, then this thread isn't for you.

Stories with * by them indicate how many people have given concrit on them.

Before the Saga

Scars and Beginnings by Indra*
    Beginnings by Alexis_Wingstar

The Saga

In the Shadow of the Chosen
    What if Vader learned about Leia before he knows about Luke by VadeyFan2002
    Fangirl's Curse by MsLanna
    The Crimson Republic: Battle for Coronet by Ewok15
    Kayary Short Stories by Ms Lanna

Silence by RebelGrrl
    Strength of the Chosen One by Dahlia_Santary
    Shadows Fall by unknown_shore
    Innocence Lost by jaina_clan_solo
    Fallen Petals by Valairy_Scot

No Jump to Far by Valairy_Scot
    Stepping Forward, Looking Back by Valairy_Scot
    Sleeping And Dreaming by leiamoody

Beyond the Saga

Landslide by EmilieDarklighter
    Where the Heart Wants to Be by CrystalKenobi
    Attention Moron: Your Pal is Stealing Your Gal by NarundiJedi
    Thread of the Force by ZaraValinor
    A Baby Named Janaree by ladyrebelsw1983

The Mechanical Dreams of Nick Solo by Vongchild
    New Beginnings by Jaina_Solo_15
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.asp

12. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
  13. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
  14. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
    @};-

[b][color=darkred]The Beta Reader Index[/color][/b]

[color=darkred][b][u]TIPS CENTRE[/u][/b][/color]

[hr]

Wherein lies all tips from dedicated betas for learning and improving betas on how to beta?

[hr]

[b]From:[/b] [b][link=http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=978642]oldjedinurse[/link][/b]

[i]Give a brief explanation for any significant suggestions (i.e., more than a simple typo or spelling correction). Don't leave the author wondering why you think a change is needed.[/i]

[b]From:[/b] [b][link=http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=925809]jazz[/link][/b]

[i]My good tip would have to be... have an open mind. You might not like what someone's doing to the characters, but as long as it doesn't become too-anti-characteristic of them and their grammar's correct, etc., it's their story and their idea.

Well, that, and read and write a lot of different stuff.[/i]

[b]From:[/b] [link=http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=1162416]Idrelle_Miocovani[/link]

[i] Patience is the key, I think, to good beta reading. You have to be able to take the time to look through the material in an indepth way, not just glance it over. There is so much more to beta reading than just correcting grammar structure. If you?re going to do the job, you might as well do a thorough one and that includes looking over characterization, plot, narrative and pacing? everything that makes a good story.[/i]

[hr]

15. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
    @};-

At last, after many months of discussion, after many months of wailing and going crazy over technical glitches, after several weeks of cooling down after getting a new sock and after many months of careful preparation, we ? the Royal Queens of the Beta Reader Index ? would like to present to you

*signals trumpets*

[color=darkred][b]THE BETA READER INDEX[/color] [color=green]? DECEMBER EDITION[/color][/b]

(Or Christmas Special If You Prefer)

[image=http://www.blueharvest.net/images/xmas/xmasyoda.jpg]

[hr]

[color=darkred]Tip of the Month:[/color]

[i]Give a brief explanation for any significant suggestions (i.e., more than a simple typo or spelling correction). Don't leave the author wondering why you think a change is needed.[/i] ? [i][b][link=http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=978642]Oldjedinurse[/link][/i][/b]

[hr]

And now, we have an interview with none other than the lovely beta [link=http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=1163663]thesporkbewithyou[/link]!

*applause*

[color=green][b]Please tell us a bit about yourself.[/b][/color]

I'm 16 years old, and a native New Yorker who's still not quite sure how she got hooked on fanfic. I think the first time was when I was lurking at a roleplay that was an AU to one of author Cassandra Claire's stories. The person who had started the board posted a link, I followed, and the rest is history. Took me a while to get to the Star Wars fandom though.

[color=darkred][b]And now on to ?teh questions.? How did you become a beta? Did someone tell you that you?d be good at it? Did you feel like it?[/color][/b]

My friend Maggy and I sort of adopted each other, and she asked me to beta one of her vignetes. No one told I'd be good at it, but I definitely felt like it.

[color=green][b]Why did you decide to become a beta?[/b][/color]

Because I like fixing sentences that have gone wrong. To me, there's nothing more fun than making sure grammar and spelling are correct. :D

[color=darkred][b]How long have you been a beta?[/color][/b]

Uh...not long at all, though I haven't been keeping track.

[color=green][b]What was the first story you betaed?[/b][/color]

Maggy's [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/20394228/]Quiet Gardens[/link]

[color=darkred][b]Do you beta a lot?[/b][/color]

Nope. I'm a senior in high school and DRL's taken hold.

[color=green][b]Do you beta in other fandoms, or just Star Wars? Do you beta original fic as well?[/b][/color]

Star Wars is the only fandom where I beta as well as read and write.

[color=darkred][b]If you write fan fic, do you use a beta for your own stories? Do you beta your own stories?[/b][/color]

I used to not use a beta, but recently I've been using one more often. And I definitely beta my own stories - can't seem to turn off that little voice in my head that tells me that things need to be rewritten.

[color=green][b]Why do you feel it is important for people to use betas?[/b][/color]

Because beta's can help your story reach its full potential. They might catch things you miss, and can help you fill in plot holes and things.

[color=darkred][b]Do you feel that it is important for a healthy beta/writer relathionship? Why?[/b][/color]

Yes, it's extremely important. If you constantly fight with your beta, your story loses out.

[color=green][b]If an author sends you something that you can?t read because of multiple mistakes, how do you respond?[/b][/color]

First, I try a few breathing excersizes :p. Then, I try and beta what parts I could understand and send them back to the author with a note asking them to rewrite the chapter. Of course, that hasn't happened yet so this is pure speculation.

[color=darkred][b]If an author takes offense after you?ve betaed a fic for them how do you respond?[/b][/color]

Once again, this hasn't yet happend, but if it would I would first ask them what they were offended by. Then I would work with them to see if I could make it less offensive to them.

[color=green][b]What's the

16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Wonderful interview!!!!

Are long or short narrative paragraphs easier to read?

Short, no question!! It doesn't matter if I'm reading a story or beta reading it, short it better. Maybe it has to do with the amount of text rolling across the screen, but I just prefer shorter paragraphs.

I'll start off with that, and see what everyone else has to say :)

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Woohoo, thanks for starting us off Nat!

I'll go second, since Nat beat me to it! :p

PACING

How fast do you try to move a WIP?

I'd go for a steady pace. You don't want to rush through it because then the plot could become all tangled. You want to think things through and that's much easier to do slower than faster.

Are there any types of scenes that move better rushed?
    Or very slowly, focusing on emotions?

The only scenes that I can think of at the moment that move better rushed are those depicting the passage of time. To me, the story tends to get stuck and has to slog its way through mud if the author spends to much time describing the passage of time.

I think the type of scene that needs to move slower even though on screen it'd go by extremely quickly would be battle sequences. It's one thing to describe the actions, but it's a completely different story if emotions and thoughts are put into it and they are extremely important during a battle.

Oh and a wonderful interview too! :D

18. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    *grins* Whoot! It's up!

*clears her throat* Anywho...on to the questions.

On to the questions.

Narrative

How much narrative do you use, in relation to dialogue?

It depends on what type of story I'm writting. If I'm writting a vignete, I tend to lean towards more narrative. But the longer the story gets, the more dialogue I use.:mad: I hate it, and I'm trying to work on it.

It depends on the style. If you were reading Stover type narration, or something else, then it would be a pretty easy read. But it would take you years to get through it if you were reading something along the lines of Dickens.

Does narrative or dialogue flow better? Which type of scenes do you use each in?

Once again, it depends on how it's written. I tend to use narrative for more reflective scenes, while scenes with more things going on take more dialogue.

Pacing

How fast to you try to move a WIP?

Uh...as fast as I can get the posts out? But really, everything depends on what type of story I'm writting. If it calls for a faster pace, it'll get that, and same thing if it calls for a slower pace. *shifty eyes* Yes, my story, and characters, talk to me. There ain't nothing wierd about that...Really!

Certain types of action scenes, like, a space battle. Not too rushed though - want to give the reader time to digest everything and form a picture. And romance scenes, IMO.

I must say though, that in terms of dialogue and narrative, I like a good, healthy mixture of both.

Edit: Mark up codes.

Edit 2: Mark up codes again.

Edit 3: Guys, I goofed! I'm 17, not 16.[face_blush] Sorry about that. And thank you to whichever one of you three Beta Index people intervied me. 'Twas quick and painless!

19. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    ? How much narrative do you use, in relation to dialogue?
    It really depends on what's going on. When I have information I need to convey to the reader, I will often do this as dialogue instead of direct narration, and occasionally small amounts of stream-of-consciousness or introspection. I use more narrative when there's action in the plot's here-and-now.

? Are long or short narrative paragraphs easier to read?
    As long as they're not ridiculously long, it's all good. Different writers have different styles, and if s/he can carry a long paragraph, that's fine. Otherwise, somewhere in between.

? Does narrative or dialogue flow better? Which type of scenes do you use each in?
    See above. For past relays and future speculation, I use dialogue or introspection; for the present, I often use narrative.

PACING:
    ? How fast to you try to move a WIP?
    I've only done one WIP so it's hard to judge from that. I tend to move through any story quickly, though. Something that's 30,000 words by me would probably be 50,000 by a writer who focuses more on description and character interaction. I rarely have to worry about moving too slow, but keeping a rein on the pace is a challenge.

? Are there any types of scenes that move better rushed?
    Some action scenes do well when done quickly. I also "rush" some of the storyline after a story's climax, because at that point the main issue is resolved and aside from cleaning up the remaining mess, there's less for the reader to anticipate.

? Or very slowly, focusing on emotions?
    I prefer to mix this into a faster scene, as opposed to leaving a slower scene by itself. For example, going into more detail about what a character is thinking and feeling in the middle of a battle or duel. This serves to keep the story from going too quickly, and also keeps it from getting bogged down in too much detail without enough plot.

BOTH:
    ? Is it easier to read something with little narrative, that moves fast?
    This works well for me, except for very long and intricate plots. Then it can get "blink and you miss it" syndrome and it makes reading and picking up on all the necessary little details difficult.

? Something with little narrative that moves slowly?
    That would be a good read for a character study or other vignette. Perhaps not so much for longer works.

? Something with a lot of narrative that moves fast?
    This is also easy for me to read, <i>especially</i> for detailed plots.

? Or something with a lot of narrative that moves slow?
    In this case, it would depend on the subject. If it was an era/character group/plot that wasn't at the top of my interests list, I'd find it hard to keep reading after awhile. However, if something in it really gripped me, it would be enjoyable.

20. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    NARRATIVE AND PACING

NARRATIVE:

It depends on the scene. Sometimes the dialogue carries the emotion itself.

Personally, I prefer short. I think it helps with realism

? Does narrative or dialogue flow better? Which type of scenes do you use each in?

I think they are best mixed.

PACING:

I used to move pretty quickly, but lately, I have writer's block. I don't want to overwhelm readers, but I don't like to keep them waiting.

Action. I enjoy a fast action scene. Sometimes if they move slower, they are actually harder to follow. Sometimes angst is good rushed.

Romance, angst. Both are good slow.

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    And thank you to whichever one of you three Beta Index people intervied me. 'Twas quick and painless!

We all put together the questions, but Idri sent them off.

22. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Nat, you beat me to saying that!

And we have Myra to thank a lot for coming up with questions for the Workshops since I was completely stuck there.

23. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    I totally made those up off the top of my head, Idri. I don't really think they're that good. [face_blush] But thanks.

Yes, my story, and characters, talk to me. There ain't nothing wierd about that...Really!
    Not at all weird. Wes told me that he wanted to have fling with Shalla! :p

Anyways ... The questions ...
    NARRATIVE:
    How much narrative do you use, in relation to dialogue?
    I tend to mix pretty equally. In some scenes, the main dialogue is internal, but I never do a totally narrative scene. Though I did do a whole post once where no one said anything. But there was a lot of internal monologue.

Short, hands down. When the paragraphs get too long, your eyes start to slide around. It's just too hard to read.

Does narrative or dialogue flow better? Which type of scenes do you use each in?
    A mix of the two flows best, though either one can be wonderful. I mainly use narrative for action scenes, and scenes with a lot of suspense.

PACING:
    How fast to you try to move a WIP?
    As fast as it wants to go.

I've not had enough experience to really say, but when the characters are freaking out, I try to work with the thought process.

Or very slowly, focusing on emotions?
    Well, never too slow, but you don't want to rush intimate (like 'awww' moment) scenes too much.

BOTH:
    Is it easier to read something with little narrative, that moves fast?
    Very much so. The story doesn't drag on too long ... But sometimes it's hard to get to know the characters

Something with little narrative that moves slowly?
    Depends on the story. It's hard to say ...

Something with a lot of narrative that moves fast?
    Again, depends on the story.

Or something with a lot of narrative that moves slow?
    See above.

(NOTE: I will read anything, which is why I never intended to answer those last few questions. People talk about being picky eaters, which I am, but if you put the writing under my nose, I guarantee it will be read.)

24. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Narrative and Pacing? Okay, I'm always good for an opinion or two ... or three!

NARRATIVE:

It depends on the story, of course, but I?m a character-driven writer. I like to rely a bit more on dialogue than narrative. However, in cases where the location, action or character posturing are important, the balance does shift.

Short are certainly easier to read, but length can work for particularly intriguing information or building suspense. Personally, I have a tendency to break both narrative and dialogue into shorter portions because I like to give extra emphasis to certain moments.

Both can flow well, if the author has a good sense of the purpose of the narrative or dialogue (e.g., the starting point, information to move the story forward, and an appropriate end-point). I particularly enjoy a sharp ending to a chapter or section, and a satisfying end to a whole story ? one that brings closure to the opening idea/thought/emotion.

PACING:

Although DRL often gets in the way, I like to see a regular schedule for one (or even two) posts per week. I?m guilty of being unable to keep to a schedule with my own fics, but as a reader of others? work, I become anxious to read more and am guilty of terrible impatience!

I love to see a fast paced action scene, particularly space battles or hand-to-hand combat. Speed works for action, unless you?re going for an avant-garde, slow-motion sort of coolness. In addition, scenes where very strong emotions are involved (such as angry confrontations) sometimes work better with an increase in pace from the surrounding narrative/dialogue.

Slowing your story down is necessary sometimes, to give your audience a breather, for instance, following a harrowing or very fast action sequence. Slow pacing also helps bring realism to certain emotional scenes such as funerals, or can be useful to emphasize things like introspective dialogue.

BOTH:

? Is it easier to read something with little narrative, that moves fast?

I?m more concerned that the pacing matches the action and emotion. Fast-paced dialogue with little narrative works extremely well in some cases, but it depends on the piece. It often works, for example, in a fairly short vignette full of banter among Han-Leia-Threepio, or Mara-Luke. I believe relationships make fast-paced dialogue work, and therefore easy to read.

? Something with little narrative that moves slowly?

Slow-moving dialogue can be at risk of becoming boring. I believe authors should be careful of being too slow to move their story or their characters forward.

? Something with a lot of narrative that moves fast?

I think that fast narratives are most often seen in action sequences ? and they work for that purpose. They can be easy to read if the author has a keen sense of how to make their words leap off the page to become ?visual? in readers? minds.

? Or something with a lot of narrative that moves slow?

Slow narrative can be difficult to read. I think that many readers are lost when writers become bogged down in dense narrative that requires intense attention and sometimes a double-read for understanding.

25. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    We all put together the questions, but Idri sent them off.

Ah...team work! Anyways, good job guys.

As fast as it wants to go.

Good answer!

Eh...just a discreet way of bumping this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.