main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Beta Reader Index v4.1 and Concrit Index -- April 2008 Update (New Info + Survey)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by BetaReaderIndex, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Phenomenon7

The_Phenomenon7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2008
    Timeframe: Dark Times to New Jedi Order
    Length: Mulipost
    Genre: A little bit of everything, but I guess Drama
    Characters: Fen Ris'ulfr, Echani Warrior, protagonist
    Val Kaire, Fen's love interest, Jedi Padawan
    Plo Koon, Jedi Master, Fen and Val's Master
    Summary: Twilight of the Force follows the story of the Echani Warrior Fen Ris'ulfr, and his journey to find his way in the galaxy. From his upbringing on Rhen Var, to his serving the Emperor, to his days as wanderer, and to his time under Jedi Master Plo Koon, up to his uncertian future.
    Notes: This will be my first fan fiction, so I am looking for a lot of help, I'm not much a writer.

2. Majestik_Moose

Majestik_Moose Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2008
    EDIT: Grawrrr. I trudged my way through the fic :]

3. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Timeframe: Dark Times, in between PT and OT
    Length: Multipost
    Genre: Drama, Action
    Characters: Emperor Palpatine, Kev-Mas Colcha (SG-716, Emperor's Shadow Guard), Several Imperial Troops (including the Shadow Storm Troopers assigned to Kev-Mas), enemies of the Empire, and Fugitive Jedi with their companions.
    Summary: "The transformation was complete. He was no longer, Kev-Mas Colcha, Jedi Knight of the Republic, but now SG-716, Emperor's Shadow Guard, and an agent of the Empire he not too long ago vowed to destroy. Kev-Mas Colcha, was blinded by his own rage, and as a result, was fighting for something he once fought against so valiantly." - excerpt from the Prologue. This fic is an insight into the life of an Emperor's Shadow Guard, as he hunts down the Emperor's most hated enemies.
    Notes: This story may expand as far as the NJO era, covering the life of the main character (Kev-Mas Colcha). The story is actually already posted (I forgot to get it betaed first), and is titled "Star Wars: Blinding Rage".

4. Ace_Venom

Ace_Venom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    Timeframe: Pre-TPM
    Length: Mutlipost
    Genre: Drama, Action
    Characters: Alaric Skywalker (OC), Xendor, Arden Lyn, Set (OC)
    Summary: "Beneath the eyes of all on the planet Tyramis, young Alaric Skywalker with sword in hand is about to take his first steps into the galaxy at large. The Skywalker legend begins here in the turmoil of the Great Schism?" - Excerpt
    Notes: The story is very Robert Howard inspired and set in a time when the Republic was very young. I've written other things in the past, but I always could have used a reliable beta reader.

5. tahiriveilax

tahiriveilax Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2008
    Hey, I'm looking for a beta, if anybody is interested, PM me :)

6. KotORBF2Female_Revan

KotORBF2Female_Revan Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 21, 2009
  7. KellyLCrutcher

KellyLCrutcher Jedi Master star 2

Feb 28, 2009
    Could someone please help beta a first-person viewpoint fic I'm trying to write? This is an AU fic beginning during the last quarter of ROTJ; I'm trying to see if I can do it from Anakin's viewpoint.

I've given the fic the title "Amazing Grace." I was listening to the hymn "Amazing Grace" when I began the fic, and the idea hit me: the first verse seems to be telling Vader's story:

"Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that sav?d a wretch like me!
    I once was lost, but now am found, was blind, but now I see."

He was lost to the Dark Side and blinded by the lies Palpatine tossed at him, but Luke redeemed him, found him and brought him back to the Light.
    =================================
    The idea I had was, what if when Luke said "then my father is truly dead," that was the trigger that brought Anakin back and Anakin was using the lightsaber duel as a front to trick Palpatine?
    Luke didn't realize Anakin was back until his father pulled Palpatine away and took the Force Lightning for him.

Keeping with the movie, Anakin ends up dying; his thought as soon as he crosses over is, "I saved Luke. If I'm dead, it's probably for the best anyway" and Obi-Wan and Yoda both tell him he has a second chance; he can go back. The only catch is, he'll be alive, but in his old body; he'll still need Vader's armor and mask to survive. Anakin agrees and is resurrected.

Luke's managed to repair the damage Palpatine caused to Anakin's suit, helmet and respirator with the Force.

Everyone else looks at Anakin and they panic, seeing "Galactic Enemy Number One;" while on the inside, he's a man resolving never to go back to the evil he did as Vader; he's wanting to do everything possible to atone for his crimes.

Most of the story will deal with his struggle to be accepted into the Alliance.

This is a WIP so far, the first STAR WARS fic I've ever done. I'm trying to turn it into a novel-length fic, but it's hard for me to think because of a seizure condition I have.

(The original starting idea I had for "Amazing Grace" looked a lot like the beginning of another fic I noticed on this forum, so I'm trying to change the beginning for mine.) It may take a while for me to restart my fic and get it going again.

If anyone's interested in becoming a beta on this, would they please PM me? Thanks.

Edit: I found a beta for this fic and I hope it'll turn out okay. Thanks, Kelia! :) I really appreciate the help!

8. KellyLCrutcher

KellyLCrutcher Jedi Master star 2

Feb 28, 2009
    I really hope I didn't kill this thread by posting that earlier message of mine. :) If I did, could someone remove that post and this one please?

9. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Hello! This is a vignette of mine that I posted a while ago, but I would like to see if it's archive quality. It has already been beta read once. Thanks!

Title: The Artifact
    Timeframe: Post-ANH, pre-ESB.
    Genre: Drama/Angst
    Main Characters: Luke, Leia, Jar Jar Binks
    Secondary Characters: Dak, Han Solo, Rieekan, a tauntaun
    Summary: While establishing a new base on Hoth, the Rebels find a Jarsicle.
    Warning: Canon!Death

10. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Hello!
    Finding myself with an inordinate amount of time on my hands, I've picked up an old bunny nagging my mind ever since the NJO and fitted it with the Legacy of the Force series. Help from a beta would be wonderful, especially since English isn't my native language and mine has gone a bit rusty over the years :p

Title: Doom of the Dark Lords
    Timeframe: 51-53 ABY; Post-Invincible AU
    Length: Multipost (should be split in three multipost stories)
    Genre: Intrigue, Corruption, Action, Drama
    Characters: J/J, H/L, Allana, Tahiri, Ben, Tenel Ka, one OC, several Dark-Siders (not identified at the beginning of the story). And a lot of the old crew ;)
    Summary: Ten years after the Second Galactic Civil War, the galaxy knows an uneasy peace, and the Jedi are under pressure. Having secured the cooperation of the heads of state of the Confederation and of the Imperial Remnant, Chief-of-State Daala plans the moves which will put an end to the Jedi Order once and for all. But this is not the more worrisome threat for the Jedi. Two Dark Lords of the Sith are scheming in remote corners of the galaxy. Between them and Daala, the Jedi are about to be attacked from three sides. Can the Jedi prevail against them, or do the Dark Lords' plans spell doom for them like Sidious' plans had?
    Notes: I'm using material from the KOTOR-era and earlier, as one of the Dark Lords of the Sith has access to very extensive sources. Familiarity with them is not required - just expect a couple of nasty surprises coming up over the course of the story [face_mischief]

11. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    Hello!
    It's been a long time since I've written any Star Wars fanfics, but after getting through the LOTF series, I've been struck with a plot bunny, which needs a beta reader. :)

Timeframe: LOTF- Fury
    Genre: Action, Drama, Angst
    Characters: Jag Fel, Jaina Solo, Zekk, Han, Leia, Alema
    Summary: A series of vignettes from Jag's POV during LOTF: Fury. There are 6 vignettes outlined so far, they basically deal with Jag coming to terms with the anger he's been harbouring towards Jaina, especially in light of his renewed attraction to her.

If anyone is interested, please PM me. Any help is appreciated! [face_blush]

~Celeste

EDIT: A beta has been found!! Thanks to The_Pied_Piper!! :)

12. CherryLightsaber

CherryLightsaber Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Okay, so I've gotten around to writing the fanfic I've been planning for forever, and it looks like I need some help getting the chapters into their best form.

Title: Transcending Chains
    Timeframe: PT - Clone Wars AU
    Genre: Action/Drama
    Characters: Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme, Ahsoka, Palpatine, OCs, Xenosaga characters
    Summary: In the midst of the Clone Wars, unexpected visitors from a distant galaxy bring about a new, dangerous turn of events.
    Notes: This one's a crossover between what's probably an unfamiliar fandom for many people here, so I don't mind if you have no clue about Xenosaga.

Any help would be appreciated; it's been a long time since I've written any fan fiction. Please PM me if you're interested in beta-ing.

13. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    Hey, CherryLightsbaer! I'd be willing to beta for you! It would be great for you since I'm one of the handfull of people who have played Xenosaga!

Contact me if interested!

I'll send the above through PM to you, to make sure you get it!

14. KotORBF2Female_Revan

KotORBF2Female_Revan Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 21, 2009
  15. QueenArdnassak

QueenArdnassak Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 30, 2009
    I could use some help on an H/L AU I'm working on. It's basically a bunch of songfics, and I need some help with grammar and characterization.

Title: I haven't really worked out a title yet:p
    Timeframe: Mostly Saga, some Beyond.
    Length: 5-10 chapters, I'm not quite done yet, so I don't know
    Genre: A series of Songfics, AU
    Characters: H/L, Chewbacca, Bail Organa, Luke
    Summary: Luke found a way to send things back in time. Han decided he wasn't proud of some parts of his past, so he sent a letter back to his seventeen-year-old self telling him exactly what should be changed and exactly what shouldn't. How does it turn out?

EDIT:
    Never mind. I found a beta.

16. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    Not sure if this place is still operational or not, but... I could use a bit of help in the editing of an A/T vignette I'm working on...

Title: The mist upon the hill
    Timeframe: LOTF AU - very AU
    Length: At present it's close to 10,000 words, though I've still got some tweaking to do
    Genre: Speculative, Angst, Drama
    Characters: Anakin, Tahiri, Ben, Jacen/Caedus, Jaina, Jag, Han, Leia, Luke
    Summary: It starts with a fog ? in my mind and in the space around my little ship.

So, if anyone could help out, that would be great :D Even if it's just to give it a quick read-through and tell me if I'm completely insane thinking this is decent enough to post or not. :p

Ant.

EDIT: I have since found a beta. :)

17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I am still looking for one more beta on this and I've tried the archive list twice. Please help.

Title: Wife of Deceit: In Love and Truth
    Timeframe: TPM
    Length: 87 pages in Word
    Genre: Drama/Romance/Suspense
    Characters: Palpatine, Bail Organa, OCs.
    Summary: Three months before the events of TPM, the daughter of an Alderaanian ambassador becomes engaged to an old friend of the family, Senator Palpatine. Let's just say she has no idea what she's getting herself into. Part 1 of a 5-book series.
    Notes: You don't have to like Palpatine or anything to read this. The entire challenge is making sure that the character is not a twit when she doesn't realize that her husband is a Sith Lord. It's also really fun to see the ways he works to keep her ignorant of his dealings. This character won Best OC Female for her role in this story, so I'm pretty sure she doesn't suck.

PLEASE HELP!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Edit: Double post, but...
    PLEASE HELP!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Lady_Tahiri

Lady_Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2001
    Is this thread dead? I hope not. So, I'm looking for a beta ...

Timeframe: NJO
    Length: multipost
    Genre: drama, romance
    Characters: Jaina, Jacen, Anakin, Tahiri, Luke, Mara, Han, Leia, Kyp, Tenel Ka, Zekk, random minor canon characters ......
    Summary: This is an AU in which Jaina, unlike her brothers, is not Force-sensitive. It starts on the eve of the Yuuzhan Vong War.
    Notes: I flatter myself that my grammar and syntax are not too egregious, so what I would really appreciate in a beta is someone to talk over ideas with and work through difficult scenes with, to help me with characterization and pacing and so forth. Someone who was also knowledgeable about the technical aspects of the GFFA like starfighters would just be a godsend, honestly.

DarthIshtar I hope you have found/will find a beta soon!!

EDIT: Thanks so much, I've found a beta. [face_blush]

20. brokenlullaby

brokenlullaby Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2010
    Heya, guys! :D

Yes, I'm looking for a beta-reader. If anyone's interested, please email me. I don't check my PM's very often... Also, if you're interested, I'm looking for a beta-reader who will look over stories of mine in the future (more or less, a permanment beta), but it isn't necessary. I'm content with just getting someone to look over my current story. Anyways... *cracks knuckles* Here we go! :)

Timeframe: AU, after RotS
    Length: multipost
    Genre: drama, action/adventure, romance (could be considered plenty of things)
    Characters: Anakin/Darth Vader, Obi-Wan, Padme, babies Luke and Leia, The Emperor, etc.
    Summary: AU. Instead of going after Anakin on Mustafar, Padme stays home and does as Anakin says. When Anakin returns home, Padme discvoers that he is no longer the man she married, and she sets her mind on escape. With the protection of Obi-Wan, how long will she be able to keep herself and her babies safe from harm? (eh, whimpy summary)
    Notes: I like to think that my grammar is fairly decent, so I'm more leaning toward a beta who can help me work through difficult scenes and characterization (pacing), and also someone who can check my spelling (I don't use spell check :p)

Please email me if interested! my email is brennareav@hotmail.com or just PM me if all else fails :p

Thank you!!

21. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Seeking a beta or two!

Title: Contemplanys Hermi
    Timeframe: 7 BBY
    Length: Short multipost
    Genre: Action/Drama
    Characters: OCs (plus Emon Azzameen, because he's awesome)
    Summary: After the Jedi Purge, a lone survivor tries to lay low with a smuggling crew... until her identity is revealed in a most tragic way.
    Notes: I've nearly finished writing this. Chronologically, it's the last in a series of stories about a sort of dynasty of Old Republic Jedi, and it would be pretty amazing if the same beta(s) could take on all of those, but that's a bit of a time commitment compared to this seven-post story.

EDIT: One beta has been found! Still got an opening for one more if you're interested.

22. Cindrollic

Cindrollic Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2007
    Seeking Beta's for this story and possible for future works.

Title: Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition Novelization
    Timeframe: 2 BBY
    Length: Three Chapters ranging from 3,500 to 11,000 words each
    Genre: Action/Drama/Suspence....I don't really know what to call it.
    Characters: Starkiller/ Stormtroopers who die/ one OC/ and a statue
    Summary: After departing Kashyyyk, Starkiller is left with what he found and questions plague him about the man he saw in the hut; His Father. He discovers there may be a device capable of giving the answers he needs, but it lies deep in the former Jedi Temple, under tight Imperial control.
    Notes: I've finished the three chapters and Chapter One is currently going through it's "Second Draft". This is only the Jedi Temple level, since I thought it didn't really effect the AU story with Sith Stalker following it, but I suppose that could change somewhere along the line. I'll probably write the AU story as well, I even have an idea for a fourth and final mission involving Starkiller, Palpatine, and Dark Luke, but I want to finish this one first.

23. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I've had no luck from the Index so far, so here's another urgent plea.

Title: Resistance, Revolution, Reckoning
    Timeframe: 30 ABY - 32 ABY
    Length: Resistance is 25,000 words, unfinished, and the first of the trilogy.
    Genre: AU Action/Drama
    Characters: Solos, Fels, Sith, and Jedi. I take pains to at least mention as many era-specific characters as possible.
    Summary: Eighteen years after the Battle of Yavin, Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa Solo were assassinated. This trilogy covers what happens twelve years later in an alternate universe where the Empire controls the galaxy once more.
    Notes: I abandoned Resistance some time ago and am now trying to finish it up. If you can't commit to helping with all three stories but you want to beta the last few posts of Resistance, I would be very grateful.

24. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I'm looking for a beta. I've already started this fic. I suppose I'm about halfway through it.

Title: Broken
    Author(s): FelsGoddess
    Timeframe: Post LotF
    Characters: Jaina Solo, Jagged Fel, Han and Leia Solo, Allana Solo
    Genre: Angst/Romance
    Summary: It's been 8 months since the battle between Jaina and Darth Cadeus. Jaina struggles with how she can move on. She goes to find comfort in the one place it's always been.
    Notes: Not sure how many posts this will be yet.

Thanks!

25. Gush

Gush Jedi Master

Aug 15, 2010
    I am seeking a beta for a fic I'm currently working on

Title: Complete the Cycle
    Timeframe: PT - Clone Wars/RotS-era
    Length: multi-post
    Genre: Action, Drama, Mystery, intrigue
    Characters: Anakin, Ahsoka, Dooku, Padmé, various Jedi Characters
    Summary: After a battle with Dooku on the outer fringes of the Galactic rim, Anakin and Ahsoka pursue Dooku into an uncharted galaxy and to an unknown planet. What they discover there has the potential to change the galaxy and alter the course of history forever.

Note: This story is a bit of a crossover with Blizzard Entertainment's StarCraft. While i plan to incorporate elements of the StarCraft universe and storyline, knowledge of StarCraft is not necessary. In fact, I would prefer betas unfamiliar with StarCraft as a whole, seeing as how much of the mystery in the story stems from elements of the StarCraft universe being slowly introduced to the main Star Wars characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.