main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Beta Reader Index v4.1 and Concrit Index -- April 2008 Update (New Info + Survey)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by BetaReaderIndex, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks! The ABCs were fun to do... we came up with some pretty ridiculous entries before we got to the ones you see now. :p

2. Jturtle

Jturtle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Thanks for the great interview, Idrelle! It was tons of fun.

Great ABC's. :D Very practical.

3. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Just a random bump and comment.....for me, my 'B' is 'Backwards'. I will often catch things if I read a story from the back front, paragraph by paragraph - reading each paragraph frontwards. ;)

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
  5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002

6. BetaReaderIndex

BetaReaderIndex Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2005
    The beta index would like to announce that we have added KELIA as an indexer. Congratulations!! :)

7. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    Congratulations, KELIA!

I'd also like to add that I really liked the Beta Alphabet. :)

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The beta index has been updated; the info is current and all listed betas are active.

Notice how skimpy it is. Volunteer your time and sign up. The Plot Bunny king wants YOU to join the index!

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    We also have a new update coming soon -- once I get my act together. :p

But, to add my voice to Nat's plea:

Please, please, please volunteer your time! [face_batting][face_batting] Betaing's fun! [face_batting]

10. MASTER2

MASTER2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2007
    hi! i'm looking for at least two beta readers to help edit my story. it's called "Ten Small Words" and it's set in the jedi temple when Order 66 is carried out. It's rated PG and only three microsoftword pages long. Thank you for your time!

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    We prefer that you PM betas rather than posting requests in the thread.

12. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
    THE BETA READER INDEX -- APRIL 2008

[color=darkblue][b][u]Index News[/u][/b][/color]

[ul][li]As mentioned in posts above, [b]KELIA[/b] has joined the team of Beta Reader Indexers. Thanks, [b]KELIA[/b]![/li]
    [li]Due to an assortment of problems and issues with finer details, the plans for the Beta Reader Academy have been scrapped. We apologize to anyone who wanted to be a part of this, but we've decided that there isn't enough interest in beta training and that none of us have the time to run proper training sessions and write up lessons.[/li]
    [li][b]Due to the low numbers of betas in the Index, you can now post beta requests [u]in the thread[/u][/b]. We ask that when you have found a beta for a particular request, you add a note in the thread letting any potential betas know that the request has already been fulfilled. [b]You can still use the beta listing in the first pages of this index.[/b] A reminder that it is more likely that your request will be noticed if you PM a beta; a posted request is no guarantee that you will find someone.[/ul][/li]

You may also use the following form in your beta requests:

[blockquote][b]Timeframe:[/b] (JA, PT, OT, IT, NJO, LOTF, etc.)
    [b]Length:[/b] (vignette, multipost)
    [b]Genre:[/b] (drama, romance, action, etc.)
    [b]Characters:[/b]
    [b]Summary:[/b] (be brief -- this should be just enough information to give a potential beta an idea of what your story is about)
    [b]Notes:[/b] (anything else you may have to say)[/blockquote]

[hr]

[color=darkblue][b][u]Discussion[/u][/b][/color]

There has been a huge drop in the number of beta readers in the index. As Indexers, we think it would be beneficial to know what you think of the Index and what you would like to see to help it run smoother for those wanting to find betas for their fics. Please take the time to answer the following survey.

[b]1. Do you find the index helpful?
    2. What you do think we could do to make the index more visible/helpful?
    3. If you need a beta, would you use the index? If not, why?
    4. If you beta pieces, would you submit your name to the index?
    5. Do you use the index when you need a beta?
    6. Do you like the articles/discussions that accompany the updates? Do you find them useful?
    7. Do you like the beta interviews? Are they a good addition to the index?
    8. We haven't had a tips centre in a while, but it was one of the original ideas we had when redesigning the index. Would you find it useful, or should we scrap the idea?
    9. Is there anything that you think would be a good addition to the index? Is there anything that should be changed or taken out?[/b]

Your input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

[hr]

[face_rose][face_rose][face_rose]

13. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Beta request for a fanfic I am planning (I need the beta ahead of time so I can toss ideas at if I get stuck. I'll probably write several chapters/posts ahead of time, most likely before starting to post the story).

Timeframe: Set in the time between the trilogies, but its as if Anakin didn't become Vader (same timeline, no villians)
    Length: Multipost
    Genre: Drama, maybe some romance
    Characters: Luke, Leia, Mara Jade, Obi-Wan & ?, Wedge, Mirax, OCs,
    Summary: 'Anne of Green Gables' using Star Wars characters & a few OCs (but with a twist or two)
    Notes: A beta that is familiar with the Anne of Green Gables book series by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Also probably need to be familiar with the film by Kevin Sullivan.

EDIT: That was fast! Thanks for volunteering, NYCGurl!

14. NightSword

NightSword Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2008
    This is a story I started a couple months ago that I would like a beta for:

Title: The Face of a Warrior
    Timeframe: LOTF
    Length: Epic
    Characters: Jaina, Jag, Zekk, Kyp, Jacen, Tenel Ka, Han, Leia, Luke, OC's
    Summary: As Jaina struggles to understand what it means to be the Sword of the Jedi, an old friend from Jag's past emerges that could be the key to ending the war--for either side.
    Notes: You can find what's up so far here. I just finished mapping out the plot, and it's extremely convoluted.

EDIT: Thanks to NYCitygurl for volunteering!

One piece of information that would be really nice to know when looking for betas is their individual average response time (try saying that fast ten times in a row :p) based on the length of the posts they're getting.

15. DarkMastermind

DarkMastermind Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2006
    I'd like a beta for an AU story I'm trying to write.

Timeframe: YJK era, right after Crisis at Crystal Reef
    Genre: Undecided
    Characters: YJK's, Luke, Mara, Han, Leia, Boba Fett and Mandalorians, OC's
    Summary: I have a few plot details worked out but basically it will pick up after the end of YJK and will replace NJO.

16. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    I am trying to find a beta for a story I started some time ago that is getting almost totally revamped.

Title: Shards of the Heart (a link to the original is in my profile)
    Timeframe: About 2 years before AOTC to start, will go to ROTS or beyond as it progresses.
    Genre: drama, angst, dark humor
    Length: Epic (as of now)
    Characters: Primarily Anakin and Obi-Wan (for part 1, more canon characters will appear as it progresses), some OC's. This is also a x-over with Ruroni Kenshin, but those characters are getting a bit made over to fit.
    Summary: Anakin and Obi-Wan go to assist a planet's transition from isolation to becoming a member of the Republic, and discover the planets best kept secrets.
    Notes: The first part of this story is actually the backstory to the original, then it will continue along some of the same lines that I had begun then.

thanks

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]

EDIT: Thanks Kelia for being my Beta! [face_batting]

17. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    I started this about a year back and I would like to find a Beta for it:

Title: The Rise of Lady Vader
    Timeframe: Post ROTS - ROTJ - NJO Swarm War and Legacy (I have several scenes already written that are sprinkled throught the time line and more just floating around in my head.)
    Length: Ambitious
    Characters: Amidala(Padme), Vader, Leia, Palpatine, Armand Isard, Yasanne Isard, Wrenga Jixton, Han, Chewie, Luke, Pooja Naberrie, Mara Jade, Bail Organa, several OC's, Xizor, Tarkin and likely more.
    Summary: This is AU and basically deals with how things might have gone differently had Padme/Amidala survived childbirth only to be brought back into the Imperial fold by Vader. Deals a lot with her heartache over their lost child and eventual discovery of said child. All the while dealing with the rigors of being part of the Imperial court.
    Notes: This is what I have so far. LINK to Story I have about half of an outline or timeline done.

Thanks in advance.
    ccp

EDIT: Myriad_Daydreams is going to Beta for me. Thanks Myriad.

18. MarasFire

MarasFire Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2007
    Hey, I'd be happy to beta for anybody. You can add me to the Index, and anyone is welcome to PM me. :) I'll try and check here every so often to see the new requests.

19. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    I'll have to come back here and make a request some time. Last year I tried finding a beta for my trilogy, but couldn't find anyone. Now that the trilogy is nearing it's end, there's no point getting one for the trilogy now. My next story, I definetly want to get a beta though.

20. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
    The lists have been updated. Remember, if you would like to become a beta, please PM us the information found in our profile. If you are in need of a beta but cannot find one by just posting here, you could get a faster response by PMing someone in the index.

We'd also love it if you guys could take the time to fill out the survey for us
    :)

21. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    I am starting a new story and I would really like to have a Beta reader for this story.

Timeframe: AU, 60+ years after RTJ
    Length: multipost
    Genre: drama, action
    Characters: Anakin Solo, Jacen Solo, Jaina Solo, Jacina Skywalker Mars and other OC characters
    Summary: As the galaxy is healing from the devestation left by Sithious, a mysterious and dark group sets in motion a plan to weaken the already fragile Jedi Order in order to sabatoge the rebuilding of a new government by the new alliance formed between the former Imperial and New Republic governments.

found beta

22. Vaders_Angel

Vaders_Angel Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2005
    Timeframe: PT
    Length: Multipost
    Genre: Drama
    Characters: Ani, Padme, Palpy, Obi-Wan
    Summary: A post ROTS AU. The Emporer has informed Vader that he, the Emporer, killed Padme in effort to rid him of the conflict he's struggled with between the dark and the light. Vader is coping with the loss of his family, struggling between his loyalty to the Empire and Anakins love for Padme and wish to do justice to her memory. In effort to steer his apprentice's attention away from Padme, he sends him on a wild goose chase after Yoda, whom he thought dead after the purges. But.. is Padme really dead..?

Notes: I haven't been writing SW for long, and only have basic knowledge, and sometimes even there I get things mixed up, so I'd really like a beta that can correct my blunders. As well as my sometimes disasterous spelling and overuse of the comma.

Edit:I have found a beta for this fic.

23. BetaReaderIndex

Nov 14, 2005
    Beta lists have been updated.

We encourage anyone who is good at editing to sign up to be a beat, especially in Before and Saga, since we only have a few (3 and 5, respectively) betas for each. We also welcome Beyond betas.

If you guys could take a minute or two to fill out the quick survey posted in the update, that would really help us make the index a more useful resource.

24. Etain

Etain Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2008
    Okay, I'll bite. Been here for about wo years (as MsLanna)

1. Do you find the index helpful?

Yes, I think an index like this is important. even if it looks as if nobody ever bothered to read the rules.:p

More traffic would be good, so it'd stay afloat. But I know that that is difficult to generate. Maybe besides being in the general index, trying to have it mentioned in the first posts of other indexes might help?

If I didn't have one, I'd certainly try. I would be suspicious about my chances of success, though. Seeing how I tended to lose my betas before. [face_blush]

I am not a native speaker, so i am WAAAAY careful of volunteering to beta. I'd do my best for my padawan, but since I don't trust my abilities at spotting grammar/spelling and certainly not interpunctuation mistakes. I wouldn't say, I'm a good choice....

I just might have. Can't relly remember though.[face_thinking]

6. Do you like the articles/discussions that accompany the updates? Do you find them useful?

I like to read them. But, obviously, I'm not much of a commenter. [face_blush]

Yes and yes. It's good to know what kind of beta you get. if you connect well, the betaing will go much smoother. :)

8. We haven't had a tips centre in a while, but it was one of the original ideas we had when redesigning the index. Would you find it useful, or should we scrap the idea?

I like tips. Though I usually try to improve my own stuff with them....

9. Is there anything that you think would be a good addition to the index? Is there anything that should be changed or taken out?

Not really.

Lanna out.
    *tips hat*

25. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    1. Do you find the index helpful?
    Yes, I think it is very straightforward, though it is a bit hard to find the actual beta readers amongst all the other stuff you have (concrit indexes, etc) but not too overly complicated

I think letting people post beta requests in the thread is helpfu for upping the thread, but other than that there's not much I can think of. More discussions perhaps?

Depends on the story. If its a quick story or something short and sweet I'd probably go to one of my friends on the boards, though if I truly wanted an opinion from someone I'm not friendly with who was unbiased I suppose I'd use it.

Already have, and love it :D

See #3

I like the fun ones such as the ABC's of writing and things not to do in writing

I would like to see more, and yes I think they are a good addition

Useful & interesting, I love reading tidbits about various writing aspects from TFN

9. Is there anything that you think would be a good addition to the index? Is there anything that should be changed or taken out?
    Maybe keeping a closer eye on some of the thigns you have in the beginning of the thread that are old and/or not used as much anymore. For example, I find the "authors who want concrit" to be a bit odd. Other than that I think you do a great job! [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.