main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Beta Reader Index v4.1 and Concrit Index -- April 2008 Update (New Info + Survey)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by BetaReaderIndex, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    Timeframe: ROTS-era AU
    Length: 5-6 post short story
    Genre: Action, Intrigue, Mystery
    Characters: Mace Windu, T'ra Saa, (dark) Anakin, Palpatine, OC, Obi-Wan & Siri
    Summary: Mace Windu goes to the Senate House to face Anakin Skywalker, Darth Sulfuron and the Emperor on the eve of his Coronation.
    Notes: Takes place in the same AU as a much larger fic I am currently writing.

beta found

2. jedi_killeroak

jedi_killeroak Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2005
    Hello all, I hope that I am in the correct place and doing this right. I have never wrote a complete story, but this one I will finish completely. I just need some one who can let me know if I am doing this right.

Timeframe: After Darth Krayt, (Non-Canon)
    Length: multipost
    Genre: drama, action, etc.)
    Characters: Non-Canon, (Some name dropping though-Darth Sidious, Darth Bane, etc. Just to name a very few.)
    Summary: About a charater that a friend had.
    Notes: I am new to this, and would like to post here in the fan fic, when done, or do in chapters. What ever is possible.

You can PM and I will get back to you asap. thnx.

(Not ready, changed of situations)

3. Danaan

Danaan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2008
    Ok, new to this, but would obviously love a beta reader to not have to make any bad noob mistakes with my first story.

Timeframe: Prequel era (AU)
    Genre: drama, action, adventure
    Characters: Canon+Non-Canon - essentially a mix of canon PT personalities with some of my own added.
    Summary: An alternative Episode 1
    Notes: I've written some already, but am reluctant to post in the forum before I have the entire flow of the story clear in my head. Obviously, a beta could assist greatly with pacing, plot twists etc. Oh, and I write in screenplay format to evoke the feeling that one is actually watching a movie...I have only a preliminary title at this point, not sure I'm content with it...;P

Thank you to MarasFire who is betaing my piece! =D

4. iluvwriting

iluvwriting Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2008
    I'm new to writing Star Wars stuff, I just need someone to go over my fanfic and make sure there aren't any grammar mistakes and make sure I keep the characters acting like they usually do.

Timeframe: I think this falls somewhere in NJO, but I'm not sure Jacen and Jaina are nearly 13 in this story; any help with the timeframe would be wonderful. I've only just started to read the books so that's why I'm having trouble with the timeframe.

Length: one shot

Genre: Humor, General

Characters: Han and Jacen mostly, a little bit of Leia and Jaina

Summary: Han must give Jacen "the talk"

Notes: I've just started to read the books, so the characterization will need to be looked at.

PM me if you're interested.

I've found a beta,

5. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    Hi, I'm just getting back into fanfic and am looking for a beta who knows of and/or has read books in the "Twilight" series. Deets listed below...

Timeframe: pre-LOTF Era (but after NJO) AU
    Length: Multipost
    Genre: Drama, Romance, Action... all of the above!
    Characters: Tahiri Veila, Anakin Solo (+ others from GFFA), as well as Edward Cullen, Bella Swan, Alice Cullen, Jasper Hale, etc, etc.
    Summary: This will be a Twilight/Star Wars crossover story, in which Tahiri and Anakin are thrust into the vampire world of the Cullens.
    Notes: At this stage, it will be the first in a 3-part series.

If anyone is interested in taking this on board, send me a PM. :) Right now I've only got the prelude complete, but I'm working on more of the story right now. I'm hoping to get enough completed for a start post date sometime in mid-late August. :D

Ant.

A big thanks to Idrelle_Miocovani, who has agreed to take on the beta-ing of my project. :D [:D] :*

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Hello. I am looking for a beta for an archive submission. It is for a fic called 'Snow Day'.

Timeframe: YJK
    Length: 47 pages, 14,763 words.
    Genre: Romance, comedy, mushiness.
    Characters: Jacen, Jaina, Tenel Ka, Zekk, Lowbacca, Em Teedee, Lusa, Raynar, Tahiri, Anakin, Luke, Mara.
    Summary: A snow day happens at the Jedi Academy on Yavin IV. Much hilarity and good times ensue.
    Notes:This is an attempt for an archive submission. I have already had the wonderful LLL beta this for me, but I need one more. Also, there is every possibiliy/probability that this will be rejected and must be re-betaed.

Any help would earn you my undying gratitude.

EDIT:

Thank you to NoghtSword for agreeing to beta this. :) If I am rejected, I shall re-edit this post to ask for two more betas.

7. BetaReaderIndex

BetaReaderIndex Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2005
    The lists - all three - have been updated with a new beta.

We have two requests - all of you who are asking for betas, please also take a minute to fill out the survey. It's really elpful to us. Also, please remember that after you find a beta, you need to edit in that you found one so you don't get a million requests and we don't have to worry about finding you one.

If you don't find a beta by posting, trying PMing someone on the list. We recommend that you do that anyway, since it often gives you faster results. If you're having trouble, PM the sock.

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Would you like the survey PMed to the sock?

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    No, posting it here is fine. :)

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    1. Do you find the index helpful?
    So far, the few times I've used it, yes.

2. What you do think we could do to make the index more visible/helpful?
    Maybe stickie it? Beyond that, not much.

3. If you need a beta, would you use the index? If not, why?
    I have in the past.
    4. If you beta pieces, would you submit your name to the index?
    I suppose so, but my knowledge of eras is limited. And I'm mostly a grammar guy, to boot.
    5. Do you use the index when you need a beta?
    Yes, sometimes.

6. Do you like the articles/discussions that accompany the updates? Do you find them useful?
    I wasn't aware of articles in the index. *Goes to look*

7. Do you like the beta interviews? Are they a good addition to the index?
    AGain, was not aware of them.
    8. We haven't had a tips centre in a while, but it was one of the original ideas we had when redesigning the index. Would you find it useful, or should we scrap the idea?
    It would be, yes.

9. Is there anything that you think would be a good addition to the index? Is there anything that should be changed or taken out?
    No real comment here.

Hope that was helpful.

11. hitokiri-black

hitokiri-black Jedi Master star 1

Aug 8, 2005
    Hello, I hope that someone can help me. ^.^

Timeframe: JA/PT
    Length: Multipost, 6,000+
    Genre: Adventure
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Dooku, Qui-Gon, Jango Fett, Padme
    Summary: Obi-wan did not become a Jedi. During an early mission, he fell victim to a memory wipe and was sent to Nar Shadda. Qui-Gon lives, Dooku has not fully committed to leaving the Jedi and Obi-Wan has become a trained Mandalorian.
    Notes: I've played around with this fic for going on four years and now I believe it is time for a good beta. Thanks.

12. Arrakna

Arrakna Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2008
    Hello. I am just making an inquiry here and am not certain of anything yet. I just finished my first fanfic which was part of a whole novel-ish type story I had going and I writ quite a bit, but I have since decided to end it there and release the rest of the story in a new part in the future and leave the existing fiction as a "prologue" before the real action.

I am interested in having someone proof-read the story before it goes out as I have never had a beta reader before and I think I would benefit from having one. As I mentioned earlier, nothing is certain yet and this is just an inquiry for the future, but, if you would wish to know more here is the first part of the story which the new one will be continuing on from or you could PM me if you wish to know more.

Thanks. :D

13. aurrasingrules101

aurrasingrules101 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2003
    Timeframe: ROTS AU
    Genre: drama, angst, romance, action
    Characters: Padme, Obi-Wan, Vader...
    Summary: I usually beta for myself, but thus far I've only ventured in Beyond and am about to make the jump into The Saga, so I want a sounding board to make sure it's coming off right. I've never worked with these characters in this context before, so I figured it would be best to try the first few posts out with a beta before posting it.
    Notes: I may only need a beta for a short while, so don't feel I'm asking for a long-term commitment for the length of the story.

EDIT: I have found a beta, thank you. :)

14. Robo_Jesus

Robo_Jesus Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2006
    Timeframe: TPM through ROTS
    Length: Multipost
    Genre: Slight AU, Machiavellian, Humor, Action
    Characters: Just about all of them.
    Summary: It's funny how one small change can affect an entire galaxy. Well, funny for the Sith perhaps...
    Notes: I have the story arcs about two thirds done in terms of plotting it out. I need feedback on my general plot outline for things. This story takes ALL the setup that Palpatine put in place, and turns it on its head. A really small and all too logical change a year before The Phantom Menace even begins ends with bad results for the entire galaxy at the end of the story. This story does not hold anything sacred, and some of the more unreasonable people will be pissed at the fact that I'm not going to follow the movie storylines, nor choose to have 'happy' endings for a lot of people.

EDIT: Vivid_Scripts has agreed to beta here.

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Timeframe: Saga
    Length: Short story
    Genre: Drama
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker plus other canon characters
    Summary: Obi-Wan Kenobi doesn't believe in luck. It's one choices and training, not luck, that determines one fate. When he and his padawan are stranded in the mountains, he faces a life or death decision and Anakin Skywalker faces a lesson he never wished to learn.
    Notes: I'd like to submit this to the archives and understand a story must be beta'd by two others. In time, I might like to submit a few other completed stories depending on if this one is rejected or accepted.

16. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Timeframe: Beyond
    Length: Epic
    Genre: Drama, angst, humor, romance, legal thriller
    Characters: Literally just about everyone in one form or another
    Summary: After the climactic events of the Battle of Endor, the New Republic faces its first real crisis: Darth Vader has surrendered to them and the most appropriate response is to try him for his war crimes.
    Notes: I am getting desperate here. I had two great betas and then one of them never opened the file. After several months, I asked another person to beta in her place and that person has dropped off the face of the earth. My one great beta is closing in on the end of this fic and I really want to submit this to the Archives. I promise you it'll be one of the great reads of your life.

17. MaruKyuu

MaruKyuu Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2008
    I've had a good amount of experience writing in general, but only a bit in writing SWFF. I've tried writing a few, but I usually stop after its apparent that nobody really wants to read what I write.

I'm primarily looking for help in plot and narration. I've got a good grasp of drama and tropes, so knowledge of writing isn't really a problem. But I have problems solidifying concrete plots in my mind, or really, anything. There's a good chance anyone who Betas for me will have creative input into what I write if you want because I'm only half-sure of what I'm going to do. That, and I also need tips on how to build a readership higher than zero.

Title: Sins of our Masters
    Timeframe: 44 ABY - ?? ABY (AU)
    Length: Undecided
    Characters: Tahiri Veila, Raynar Thul, Eldo Davip, Zekk, OCs, and you know, the normal big characters that every story has.
    Summary: It has been four years since the end of the Second Galactic Civil War. Four years since Darth Caedus was struck down by the Sword of the Jedi just before trying to attempt some kind of communication maneuver. Four years since an unresisting Ben Skywalker was struck down by Darth Delendas on Shedu Maad. Four years since the Hapan Consortium erupted into chaos after the mysterious death of the Hapan Royal Family.

We could say the Second Galactic Civil War ended in a Confederation/Jedi Coalition victory. Although they were unable to seize control of the Galactic Alliance, Darth Delendas was simultaneously unable to stop the Imperial Remnant from leaving the Galactic Alliance. In addition, after the death of the Hapan Royal Family, Lady AlGray seized control of the Consortium, crowning herself as Queen Mother after a short conflict and aligned the Consortium loosely with the Confederation.

After the devastation of Shedu Maad, neither group had the forces necessary to conduct the war. A suspicious ceasefire was formed, leading to a divided galaxy at an impasse. Very few believed the peace was genuine, least of all the leaders of either parties. Darth Delendas used her deceased former master's reputation to help formulate the "Reformed Jedi Order". Seeing this threat, the NJO resorted to more and more desperate forms of recruitment in an attempt to increase their respective ranks. The RJO, had always used these. The reputation of the Jedi galaxywide greatly decreased after these "recruiting practices" became known, not limited to dealings with slavers, kidnappings, coercion, and violence.

Jacen Solo became a martyr, a hero, of the Galactic Alliance...and reviled everywhere else. He was supposedly the "founder" of the Reformed Jedi Order. He became a symbol of the Galactic Alliance. Never had a dead man received so much praise across the galaxy, excluding all territory outside of the Alliance. Used as a hero for the Galactic Alliance, and to decry the Jedi Coalition and Confederation, the Galactic Alliance quickly wrapped itself in a Jacen Solo personality cult. Jedi Coalition attempts to portray him as a Sith, as a murderer, and as evil, were shot down by the Galactic Alliance as propaganda and lies. The Battles of Kashyyyk and Fondor were erased from the history books in the Alliance.

The Confederation's attempt to quickly rebuild their fleet quickly resulted in an arms race as every major power in the Galaxy started desperately rebuilding their fleets. Makeshift shipyards popped up on planets formerly not known for their spacecraft. But Darth Delendas's poor grasp on the tactics of the Jedi Coalition has made her blind to the external forces outside of her. The Jedi Coalition has planned an attack on Coruscant to dethrone the Chief of State. But she still has Darth Caedus's secret, unused Trump card. If only she knew that...

~~~

Basically, it's a What If...? focusing on what happens after Tahiri strikes down Ben when he tries to turn her, usurps Cadeus's "throne" to speak, and prevents the Second Galactic Civil War from being resolved. Not to mention the nanovirus actually hits the Hapans.

18. shadesaw

shadesaw Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Timeframe: ROTS/ Clone Wars era.
    Length: 5-6 post short story
    Genre: Action, Intrigue, Mystery
    Characters: Master Ti, Ti's Padawan Stea Pf'Hou
    Summary: Master Ti and his Padawan in Clone Wars with other Jedi
    Notes: This is my second story in five years. I am little worry.:eek:

PM me Beta Reader

19. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Hi Everybody.

I'm looking for a beta reader (DUH!) for a fairly short story that's running concurrently with The Academy a pilot fic. This one will be more Jedi centric. I'm on the right track, and I think the first half of my piece is more or less the way I want it, but the second half is giving me troubles. I'm not sure it makes sense to me. Altogether it'll be about 30 pages, double spaced.

Title: Getting away from it all
    Length: About 30 pages
    Genre: Action, drama
    Characters: OC's, with EU characters becoming very prominant
    Summary: An OC Jedi Master retires to a nearly deserted planet...or so he thinks!

I'd love some input, beta readers! Thanks very much for your consideration!

20. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Hi to everyone out there,

I've just started sketching out a fic that I'd like to get more imput on based on an interesting AU idea that popped into my head the other day set during the period of the Jedi Purge and the Original Trilogy involving everyone's favourite Corellian Jedi family. Basically, it asks what if Nejaa Halcyon had survived the Clone Wars and into the peroid of ROTS. The details are below and please PM me if you are interested in beta reading this for me. I would really appreciate any help you provide in this project to get it going.

Timeframe: from pre-ROTS onward
    Length: multiple posts, not sure on precise length as of yet
    Genre: drama, action definitely
    Characters: Halcyon/Horns, other characters from canon
    Summary: What if Nejaa Halcyon had come back from the Clone Wars to his secret family? With the advent of the Jedi Purge and the rise of the Empire, staying on their native Corellia and under their true names is deadly...even for their closest associate and family friend Rostek Horn. In order to live, they must flee to the Outer Rim in hopes of ekeing out an existence and attempt to hide from ever vigilant Jedi Hunters. But the journey and struggle to survive are much more interesting and harrowing than meets the eye....
    Notes: I'm thinking they might end up accidently linking with other Purge survivors in hiding, though I'm still debating the who, what, where, ect. on that account. I'm also probably going to have them eventually link up with the Rebels somehow...kind of like the idea of the Horns throwing in their lot with the Rebels as soon as it becomes conveinent.

Please be my beta reader? [face_praying]

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Just a reminder that PMing betas will probably get you better results than posting here. There's a list in the 2nd-4th posts - take advantage of it! It's better than sitting around waiting for betas to notice, because they seldom frequent this thread. Many betas turn in their stats and then expect you to go to them.

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Last I looked, all the betas were not accepting new submissions, or only in the eras not pertinent to the story. Am I incorrect (wouldn't be the first time, hah!).

Umm. Edited to add - my memory appears to be faulty [face_blush] after a quick look-see (I have looked before this, to my credit).

Hmm, after work I shall take time to reread - by the way, have I missed what the "status 1" or 2 or whatever numbers mean?

23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    "Status" refers to the number of fics a beta is currently working on. :) However, sometimes it is difficult to keep the status section up-to-date as sometimes betas don't PM us with their updated status.

24. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    And the betas are listed by era, and we make notes when they don't accept new stories or long stories (which isn't to say that they might turn a story down for whatever reason, but we keep pretty on top of who is too busy to beta, and remove them or make a temporary note).

25. verd_beskar_prudii

verd_beskar_prudii Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2008
    Timeframe: NJO immediately post-NJO
    genre: angst, action
    Characters: OC
    Summary: two young boys grow up in vastly different lifestyles but their worlds collide
    and together they each must find the answers they seek about their short, troubled lives and their mysterious common heritage.
    notes: very character drivtn, but still in its rough stages. looking for good constructive criticism, ideas/insight etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.