main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Bible Thread: Help Fight Redundancy

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Lord Bane, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    Mosaic Law in the Old Testament defines numerous sexual relationships which are abominations, to be rejected as inappropriate, including homosexuality. Therefore, if you have a problem with that particular teaching, you're going to have to take up where Hitler left off and get rid of the Jews, because wiping out Christianity wouldn't solve your problem.

2. Mister_Bunny

Mister_Bunny Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2001
    Here's a list of all sorts of Biblical Contradictions, as requested.
    Contadictions

3. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    those are compliments.

4. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Oh, Jews and Christians can believe what they want about Homosexuals and anything else... that's not my point... I'm just saying they can go to hell if they think I'm going to give my blind devotion to their same beliefs.

I don't have to love everyone's beliefs... nor am I required to think a person's a genius when I really think they're a fool. However, I don't go around telling the whole world what I think of someone and their beliefs... much less subsequently expect my derision to result in their magical revelation that I am, after all, right, and they are inherently, concurrently wrong because of that. Think what you want, feel what you want... even perceive me to be an idiot... Maybe your god and your Christ think I'm an idiot. So why would I give blind devotion to those institutions, people or gods who look down on me as a fool?

Would you worship me or my god if I came to your doorstep and told you how stupid you are?

EDIT: I'm not questioning at all whether or not the Biblical god deserves your devotion... I'm only stating he doesn't deserve mine.

5. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    However, I don't go around telling the whole world what I think of someone and their beliefs... much less subsequently expect my derision to result in their magical revelation that I am, after all, right, and they are inherently, concurrently wrong because of that.

Surely you must realize that this is, at least in part, precisely what you are doing in your posts.

6. ktwsolo

ktwsolo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2001
    Thank you very much for that list of contradictions.

7. Chris2

Chris2 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 11, 1998
    How many stalls and horsemen?
    KI1 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.
    CH2 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.

----------------------

This is probably a translation error. It's been known to happen.

--------------------------

PRO 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
    ECC 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that in- creaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

1 Cor.1:19: "For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and wil bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent
    --------------------

Some wisdom is good; wisdom of love, wisdom of God, wisdom of labor. But knowledge that exalts itself above God is *not* good.
    -----------------------------

Acts 1:18: "Now this man (Judas) purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out."
    Matt. 27:5-7: "And he (Judas) cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. And the chief priests...bought with them the potter's field."
    -----------------
    If a man is hung, and then cut down, his bowels usually will gush out.

------------------------

Matt.5:1,2: "And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying...."
    Luke6:17,20: "And he came down with them, and stood in the plain, and the company of his disciples, and a great multitude of people...came to hear him.. And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples and said..."

----------

Jesus gave this sermon many times, in some different locations.

---------------

"And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham." (Gen 22:1)
    "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man." (James 1:13)

---------------------

He probably *tested* Abraham, but God does not "Lead us into temptation".

-------------------

MAT 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
    MAR 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

LUK 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

------------------

Probably meant the generation of man, not the particular generation.

----------------------

8. Chris2

Oct 11, 1998
    BTW, here's a run-down of Christian 'taboos' pretty much. As you can see, there's more than the "Seven deadly":

Fornication(Out-of-marriage sex)
    Whoremongering
    Impurity
    Passion
    Couvetnous
    Anger
    Wrath
    Malice
    Slander
    Swearing
    Idolatry
    Discord
    Theft
    Adultery
    False Witness
    Murder
    Drunkards(Social/moderate drinking OK)
    Lust
    Revilers
    Effeminate
    Extortioners
    Homosexuality
    Witchcraft
    Disobedience to elders
    Emulation('cept maybe of Christ)
    Blasphemy/Heresy

-Of course, if one accepts Christ, all these will be forgiven. As one grows in Christ, the temptation to sin gradually decreases. Nobody is perfect.

-The last few are probably the most controversial. The homosexuality one is obvious; the witchcraft one is why so many Christians have made a stink about POKEMON and HARRY POTTER. Interestingly, this criticism has not been used too often toward STAR WARS; perhaps because of SW's themes of fleshy detachment, forgiveness, self-sacrifice and so on.

9. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    Yup ive tried a few of those things and i do have to say they are fun and im going to hell.
    [face_laugh]

10. ratherkissawookie

ratherkissawookie Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2002
    Wow, sleazo, that's a terrible attitude! Don't you want to go to heaven?

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Wow, sleazo, that's a terrible attitude! Don't you want to go to heaven?

Has it occurred to you that not all people share your beliefs and point of view?

12. ratherkissawookie

Feb 17, 2002
    Yes, especially in the last few minutes as I've read this thread. But seeing that sleazo believes in hell, I would only assume he believes in heaven and knows the difference between the two.

13. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Fornication(Out-of-marriage sex)
    Whoremongering
    Impurity
    Passion
    Couvetnous
    Anger
    Wrath
    Malice
    Slander
    Swearing
    Idolatry
    Discord
    Theft
    Adultery
    False Witness
    Murder
    Drunkards(Social/moderate drinking OK)
    Lust
    Revilers
    Effeminate
    Extortioners
    Homosexuality
    Witchcraft
    Disobedience to elders
    Emulation('cept maybe of Christ)
    Blasphemy/Heresy

Actually, quite a few of those could go under the same heading...

Whoremongering
    Impurity
    Passion
    Adultery
    Lust

All of these could all go under one heading or one topic of controlling your lower animal nature...let's call it conquering the flesh. This is not at all uncommon to other religions. In fact, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, and Buddhism have the same theme of conquering the lower animal self and cultivating the spiritual.

Let's continue.

Anger
    Wrath
    Malice

These could go under the same heading and last time I recall from my abnormal psych class so long ago, all three of these emotions can be destructive to the self (not to mention those around you) if not handled in a healthy manner...so once again this isn't just Christianity were talking about here.

Swearing

Actually, Peter was renowned to have quite a potty mouth, yet he was accepted by Christ. Most Christians don't because of what they want to represent to people. Again this is common to Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, and many other religions. One should conduct oneself well.

Adultery
    False Witness
    Murder
    Drunkards
    Extortioners

All of these are damaging to society as a whole. There's wisdom in avoiding them, but we could put all of these into the heading; "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." In fact, we could consolidate the whole list down into that.

Effeminate
    Homosexuality
    Witchcraft
    Disobedience to elders
    Blasphemy/Heresy

These could all go under the heading of avoiding what God asks us to avoid.

Revilers
    Discord

Both of these are foretold in scripture for those who choose to become followers of Christ. Scipture is quite predictive in this regard.

Emulation

Never heard this one before and I suspect that it some sort of strange sectarian belief peculiar to that sect of Christianity.

14. ratherkissawookie

Feb 17, 2002
    Hmmmm . . . as a Christian, I am not sure why emulation is on the list. Paul says in one of his letters to "imitate me as I imitate Christ." I think it just means be careful what you emulate.

15. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    According to the gnostic tradition, paul would be imitating christ because that was the whole point.

16. Chris2

Oct 11, 1998
    Out of curiousity, I flipped through the Egyptian book of the dead.

And what I found disturbed me...

Check this out:

BOOK OF THE DEAD:Thou hast made this earth with thy hand, and the waters, and the winds, and the vegetation, and all the cattle, and all the feathered fowl, and all the fish, and all the creeping things, and all the wild animals therof.

OLD TESTAMENT:And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
    And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
    And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.
    And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
    And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

BOOK OF THE DEAD:Homage to thee, KING OF KINGS, LORD OF LORDS,
    prince of princes, possesor of the Earth from the womb of
    Nut

BIBLE:And he had on His vesture and on His thigh a name written,
    KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS

17. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    For the record i dont believe in hell or heaven, i was making a joke-
    Sleazo

edit--good point cydonia

18. Nunquam

Nunquam Jedi Master star 1

Apr 1, 2000
    Biblical contradictions aren't as entertaining and shocking as biblical cruelties...may the Force be with you! :D

19. Chris2

Oct 11, 1998
    At first I was skeptic, then fundamentalist, now I seem to be moving toward Agnostism...
    Some more things I've found troubling.

Anyway, here's some more problems I have:

-Anger, killing, and jealousy are apparentally sins. Yet God apparentally is allowed to do this.

-In the OT, God helps the Israelites win various wars and conquests, yet Jesus appears to be a pacifist.

-Family-In the OT, one is told to honor their family, and whoever does not, will be put to death according to the Mosaic law. Yet Jesus tells people to *hate* their families. Why?

-Jesus says saying "You fool!" is a sin. Yet he calls the hypocrites fools.

20. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
  21. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    Let's just have the rapture and get this damn thing over with.

22. Chris2

Oct 11, 1998
    A question about the Exodus-given the amount of people settling, and the terrain they went through, and the number of stops they made, would it have taken the Hebrews 40 years to reach Canaan? Apparentally one can get there in less than a year...

23. Grand_Moff_Monkey

Grand_Moff_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    The Hebrews could have as well if they'd obeyed God. The 40 years was a judgment on that generation, so they were to wonder the desert until all of that generation (except Caleb and Joshua) had died out. The method through which this happened was probably God confusing the journey (like when Dorothy and her companions lose the yellow brick road in Wizard of Oz).

Or maybe they just had really crummy maps...

24. Mister_Bunny

Mister_Bunny Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2001
    I believe we have a new Jack Handey in our midst....

If a man is hung, and then cut down, his bowels usually will gush out.

Good stuff on this thread. Learning alot.

25. BobaWillie

BobaWillie Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    A question about the Exodus-given the amount of people settling, and the terrain they went through, and the number of stops they made, would it have taken the Hebrews 40 years to reach Canaan?

--There is a good book on the subject of the exodus of Moses & his people. It is called "Gold of Exodus" and you should find it at most bookstores in paperback. It tells the story of 2 treasure hunters who use the Bible as a treasure map. They find the ACTUAL Mt Sinai (and it isnt on the Sinai Peninsula like most people think), where they think Moses and his people crossed the Red Sea and even where Moses received the 10 Commandments. What is neat about this book is that these guys weren't trying to prove or disprove anything but instead get rich by finding the gold left behind centuries ago.

Now all of that having been said I am not sure how long it took them. Maybe they lived as nomads for 40 years before deciding to go to Canaan as opposed to 40 years of travel time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.