main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The big 4 in SW music.

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by BobaFrank, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Every episode has a new song that stands out in the soundtrack. Of all of them, I would say the big 4 are:

The Main theme from SW/ANH

Imperial March from ESB

Duel of the Fates from TPM

Across the Stars from AOTC

Out of these 4 which is the most influencial and most recognizable?

For me I'd say the Main theme. I don't think any other piece of music in the history of cinema is more recognizable.

The Imperial March is second in my book. I hear it played by bands in all kinds of sporting events.

DOTF was and instant classic. It spawned its own video.

ATS has its own video and one day will be a classic itself.

I know I didn't mention ROTJ but there really isn't anything notable. I love the soundtrack and the movie but for the general public I doubt they would recognize any of the cuts from the soundtrack.

Thoughts? Comments?

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I dunno -- I honestly think that Imperial March may be more recognizable. I've heard the Main Theme played, and friends have asked, "Is that the Superman song?" But the Imperial March is, well -- the Imperial March.

Duel of the Fates is not a classic and will, methinks, be "forgotten" by pop culture a lot sooner than those first two. And Across the Stars, while very nice, really can't hold its own even with Duel of the Fates in terms of recongizability and duration.

And are ANY of these the most recognizable film music? I'd argue the perhaps the Raiders' March may be, or possibly even Chariots of Fire, which is loved by many who probably have never even heard of the movie that spawned it.

3. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Were just gonna keep it SW. ;)

DOTF I think is very recognizable due to the chorus.

Any time I see a special on it I hear DOTF played. I think when you mention TPM, DOTF stands out as one of its triumphs.

4. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Every episode has a new song that stands out in the soundtrack.

:eek: Don't let halibut see this!

I think the new one for ROTJ was the Emperor's theme, even though it's not really well-known or prominent. The new theme always seems to represent the idea that ties the movie together, Luke, the Empire, the Emperor (maybe), the conflict between the Jedi and Sith, and the love story. Out of all of them, I think the Imperial March is most recognizable. The Main Theme is also really recognizable, but people might get it confused with some other themes if they didn't know it too well. Imperial March is unmistakeable.

Although now that I think about it, the first line of music when the credits start rolling is probably really recognizable. Other parts of the Main Theme are less so.

5. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I think the last half of ROTJ's soundtrack (Disc 2) has overall the best assortment of pieces in any of the movies, but I would tend to agree that non-fans wouldn't recognize any of it.

Kind of ironic that not many recognize some of the most powerful music of the saga. :eek: :p

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I think the Main Theme's the one. Which makes sense.

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. Lord-Dooku

Lord-Dooku Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2002
    Well for me, here are my big major theme's from the Star Wars soundtracks:

The Main Title Theme (Main Star Wars Theme),
    The Imperial March,
    The Binary Sunset,
    Yoda's Theme,
    The Trade Federation Invasion March (seen briefly in AOTC when the Clone's are marching into the ship) on Kamino,
    Duel of the Fates,
    Across the Stars,

I think they are the main biggies for me. Also, track 12 on the AOTC soundtrack (Battle in the Arena or something like that) is nearing becoming a classic.

8. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I don't think any of the new music can faily compared to the older stuff because the others have had 20 years to sink into our culture. I do think DOTF is doing well though, it was used here in England for the World Cup Final on TV, which is a big thing really. And I've heard it used on a bunch of things.

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    song?
    SONG?
    SONG!!!!!!!!!!!

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

10. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Force theme, anyone?

(i.e. the binary sunset and victory march in ANH)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.